Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 11:33:36 PM EDT
I built a new gun using a 20" 5.56mm M16 A2 from Green Mountain Barrels.

My reloads, the same recipe and brass I've been using for years doesn't fit in it.  They don't chamber without force.  And if forced, it requires a great deal of force to extract it back out.  Mortaring.

Virgin brass and new manufacture chamber with ease.  So it's obviously something I've got wrong.

I'm using Dillon dies and a case gauge.  Here's some pics.  The last pic will show how far the case fits before stopping.  The BCG is sticking out the back of the upper about .19 inches too long.

Any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 11:58:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a small base sizing die.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:07:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm guessing headspace is most likely causing the issue.

Buy the Hornady Headspace Gage Set & fire a factory round through the rifle. Measure the factory rounds headspace.

Measure the new brass headspace. Make sure it has it's shoulder knocked back .003 from the factory rounds measurement.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have any factory ammo to shoot out of it or even to attempt to chamber in it?

If you do, you can always shoot a couple of rounds and then case gauge them. The chamber might be tighter or have a smaller headspace than your other rifles.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:18:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The case looks high in the case gauge. You need to size a little more.

You want the end of the case below the end of the gauge, but above the cut.

Turn down sizing die 1/16 of a turn, size a case, wipe off the lube, and check in gauge again. Adjust sizing die down until case gauges correctly.

Once case is correct in gauge, then check chambering.

You most certainly don't need small base dies. Just correct adjustment of the sizing die you have.

You are very close.
View Quote

That's exactly what it took.  Tightened down the resizer a bit, now it chambers.  And fits a little deeper in the guage.

Thanks dryflash.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 12:18:59 AM EDT
[#6]
You either haven't resized it enough or you have collapsed the shoulder a little. First, try screwing in the sizing die a little deeper. You want to feel the press cam over at the top of the stroke.

ETA: Congrats!

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Your welcome.

Btw, have always liked your avatar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The case looks high in the case gauge. You need to size a little more.

You want the end of the case below the end of the gauge, but above the cut.

Turn down sizing die 1/16 of a turn, size a case, wipe off the lube, and check in gauge again. Adjust sizing die down until case gauges correctly.

Once case is correct in gauge, then check chambering.

You most certainly don't need small base dies. Just correct adjustment of the sizing die you have.

You are very close.

That's exactly what it took. Tightened down the resizer a bit, now it chambers. And fits a little deeper in the guage.

Thanks dryflash.

Your welcome.

Btw, have always liked your avatar.

I'm not sure if this belongs here or not, but this is a followup post/vid.

Here is me shooting those reloads in the gun in which it wouldn't chamber (until you had me turn the size die down a bit).    Worked perfectly.

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Lol

Your ammo now works
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 2:43:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top