Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2014 10:22:56 PM EDT
Or, rather, I USED to laugh at you  for picking up brass for a gun you didn't own.   Last night, I pickup some 10mm brass.  It was so pretty.  Nickel plated.  

I don't own a 10mm.   Does that mean I've crossed some line?  

Does that mean I'm going to own a 10mm soon?
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Or, rather, I USED to laugh at you  for picking up brass for a gun you didn't own.   Last night, I pickup some 10mm brass.  It was so pretty.  Nickel plated.  

View Quote

It can never hurt to save cases for a rainy day. You will have a gun for it eventually

I once bought 20,000 .223 cases because it was a good deal.

I had them for 2 years before i bought an ar. Ive been too busy with cowboy action shooting to load for it yet. I keep it around so i can try 3 gun soon.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I am doing this right now for 10mm..... gun on way...........not stupid just smart
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah , eventually you'll pick up enough brass it only make sence to get one.  

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:13:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Even if you don't succumb to temptation and buy a new gun to feed with the brass you found, if it's a valuable cartridge then its worth picking up and possibly reselling or trading for brass you do use.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I pickup oddball calibers hoping I'll gather enough to sell for a few bucks or trade. Plus you'll have brass if you find a great deal on a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:28:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Best mm
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:00:28 AM EDT
[#8]
It is a sickness! It starts either with brass or a set of dies, never with a gun first.  Ask me how I know?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:40:55 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm in for the pictures of the new gun your getting soon!!!!  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, yes it does.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:38:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It can never hurt to save cases for a rainy day. You will have a gun for it eventually

I had them for 2 years before i bought an ar. Ive been too busy with cowboy action shooting to load for it yet. I keep it around so i can try 3 gun soon.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you buy these from someone in Austin?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:43:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Last week at my private range someone left 245 cases .50AE and 100 +/-
458 socom and  plus some brass labeled 38 wad cutter not sure how many maybe 50 or so. Call me weird but some gold blind caught my eye in trash can so after everyone left I snagged em up. Never her of a 38 wad cutter. Why people always put brass in trash and trash in brass bin I will never know. I clean in wet tumbler and Dry and they go in plastic bags. Now I have huge bucket of brass I gotta sort of course none are calibers I own.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 3:12:02 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

458 socom and  plus some brass labeled 38 wad cutter not sure how many maybe 50 or so. Call me weird but some gold blind caught my eye in trash can so after everyone left I snagged em up. Never her of a 38 wad cutter. Why people always put brass in trash and trash in brass bin I will never know. I clean in wet tumbler and Dry and they go in plastic bags. Now I have huge bucket of brass I gotta sort of course none are calibers I own.
View Quote

Headstamp or box or...?

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think it was but i dont recall, why?
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Surprised it was left behind, I have a few thousand. Tried to find once fired a few years ago and ended up buying new from Starline at about $180/k and it was BO'ed for about 2 months.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:35:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yes, yes it does.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, yes it does.  

THIS
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Several years ago, I sold 20,000 rds to a young man and his father, drove up and met him in Waco.
Just wondering.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I do it all the time...

I have 2 coffee cans of 40 and 1 can of 45 and I don't own a pistol in either.

I figure I will eventually and if not at some point I can trade it for something that I need...if it's free I'm going to take it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 1:14:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Any chance you want to let go of the 458???  I need some in the worst way.... I'll trade or pay if you would like!!!

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I hadn't thought about the trade angle.  I knew there was a reason to consult the arfcom reloading experts!

Of course, there's always the option to acquire a 10mm...
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:31:17 PM EDT
[#21]
neckbearding brass is uncool man.

nah,jk....it is one of the finer things to do at my open range/ cinder pit....I try to pick up all brass including 9mm....

I try to do it when no one is around because as soon as you do when there's other people around..they jump in and compete...it's human nature I guess.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:36:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#23]
My apologies dryflash3, I got excited when I saw socom brass.....
IM coming to usmcscout!
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 11:27:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I hadn't thought about the trade angle.  I knew there was a reason to consult the arfcom reloading experts!

Of course, there's always the option to acquire a 10mm...
View Quote

Glock 20 is best gun to shoot best caliber.

I tend to snag whatever brass I can get with the idea of trading it. I am now trying to simplify my life by reducing the number of calibers I reload (which means reducing the number of calibers for guns I own).

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:42:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Finding good 10mm brass is like finding gold.  Great caliber to own or trade for what you need.  While I was developing my G20L back in 2004, I was scronging for 10mm brass wherever I could find it, however, like popnfresh, it was almost impossible to find so I bought 2K of new primed Winchester brass with funds I got from selling other calibers of scrounged brass.  Talk about price increases, I paid $205 delivered for 2K of new Winchester primed brass and now it's going for over $200 per K unprimed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:07:20 PM EDT
[#27]
10mm is a great score.  It's the only caliber in my reloading collection that I don't have a good stash of brass for (Which is usually a minimum of a 3 gallon bucket worth).

I pick up anything that I see.  You never know what use it will have some day...  I trade off or sell the remaining brass that I don't plan on keeping (except on arfcom,  I was told I can't sell brass in the reloading section of EE anymore because it's "recurring").  That goes towards powder, projectiles or gun parts.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I think we all do that OP. I was picking up all kinds of brass before I even started reloading.

I used to pick all of the 223, 45, 38 and 357 I would see. I also picked all of the 30-06 brass I would see and did not even own a 30-06 at the time. I have a Garand now so that brass comes in handy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#29]
I picked up a bunch in the National Guard indoor pistol range after the FBI agents used it.  They left the 10mm all over the floor in 1991 or so.  I just found it in my garage when I was packing to move last fall and gave it to fp1201 as he's handed me all sorts of stuff over the years.  10mm is great trading stock as it's pricey and not all that common.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:36:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I acquired 250 .45 Long Colt cases a few years ago...free.. Then 2 months ago I was forced to put a nice S&W 25-5 on layaway at the LGS. I am eagerly awaiting the redemption! Be careful what you hang onto!
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:37:34 AM EDT
[#31]
I have done the same thing. Over the past couple of years I had accumulated approximately 5k pieces of 40 caliber brass. I don't reload 40 and found someone to trade me the 40 for 9mm brass. It was all good. You never know.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#32]
I've had a bunch of very nice nickel-plated 357 mag brass for a little over a year now. Still waiting for a good deal on a 357 lever action
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#33]
I belong to a medium sized gun club . Quite a few guys who don't bother to reload for whatever reason
There are a group of guys who grab brass , clean and package it , and try to sell it for what the commercial guys ask for it.

Then there is another group (myself included) who grab pretty much whatever decent brass we see , clean and package it and either trade it or give it to our friends or the new guys just starting out in reloading.

The first group seems to be forever bitching that nobody wants to grab up their "good" deals.

Guess which group always seems to have whatever brass they want or need ?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#34]
OMG Even if you don't buy one, it's like finding coins on the ground. I even pick up boxer primed steel cases.

You can collect a few at a time, and hoard it over 20 years, like I hoarded all sorts of calibers I never bought. Who shoots 45 GAP? One of my friends does and I collected a few hundred, sold em on the EE. I've found 270, 7mm, 30-30, u name it. Now all converted to cash.

Also collected hundreds of small primer 45 ACP: I don't like them, but somebody does, 'cause they bought all I had.

I had literally thousands of cases. Then during the panic I listed them on the EE and sold off for hundreds of dollars to eager buyers.

I also gave hundreds of cases as gifts to family members.

Never leave a piece of brass un-adopted... it's the ultimate in recycling, reusing, etc...

I am the brass case equivalent of the bag lady with a shopping cart full of aluminum cans.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:50:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Even if you don't succumb to temptation and buy a new gun to feed with the brass you found, if it's a valuable cartridge then its worth picking up and possibly reselling or trading for brass you do use.
View Quote

This, I have a container of mixed brass for calibers I don't own.  Some times I meet people who can use it, better than going to the scrapper.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#36]
I have 25lbs of ss tumbled 40s&w that I will eventually trade for 9mm....or get a 40, that why I haven't tried trading it

I pick up everything but 22lr and 380.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:34:10 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll pick it all up and throw what I don't see myself using in a bucket. The stuff I might own a gun for in the near future I find myself tumbling it and stuffing it into ziplocs just in case.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I even pick up the 380,, sold a big bunch.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:22:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
OMG Even if you don't buy one, it's like finding coins on the ground. I even pick up boxer primed steel cases.

You can collect a few at a time, and hoard it over 20 years, like I hoarded all sorts of calibers I never bought. Who shoots 45 GAP? One of my friends does and I collected a few hundred, sold em on the EE. I've found 270, 7mm, 30-30, u name it. Now all converted to cash.

Also collected hundreds of small primer 45 ACP: I don't like them, but somebody does, 'cause they bought all I had.

I had literally thousands of cases. Then during the panic I listed them on the EE and sold off for hundreds of dollars to eager buyers.

I also gave hundreds of cases as gifts to family members.

Never leave a piece of brass un-adopted... it's the ultimate in recycling, reusing, etc...

I am the brass case equivalent of the bag lady with a shopping cart full of aluminum cans.
View Quote

The brass is cheap, and you dont have to switch primer systems in a 9mm -> 45 changeover
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#40]
man 10mm....in almost 3yrs of weekend range trips I've probably found only about 40 cases of 10mm. I get wood just finding 1 case :-)

Pretty much any brass I pick up regardless of if I shoot it or not. I pile it away because you never know

1. You may own that caliber on day
2. you can help someone out who needs it
3. trade stuff for it, powder, components, parts, dies, sky is the limit here
4. get way too much you may decide to EE some of it
5. you may run across a forum that says x case can be cut down and formed to create a case you actually shoot
6. you can never have too much

I ended up buying about 1k of starline and have used #3 above to acquire about 1k more from people here.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#41]
got I hope not, I have a 5 gallon pail of 40 that I keep adding to as I pick up brass at the range, I do not want a 40. but I am getting a nice collection of 44 mag brass (which I will just cut down to 44 russian) and 10mm brass so I will wind p with a 10mm one of these days
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top