Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2014 12:38:52 PM EDT
I'm getting some drift in my RCBS 505--a couple tenths of a grain.  

I figured a balance scale would be bullet-proof, but if I re-check my zero I'm getting .1 and .2 grain variations(!).

I'm going to try to clean and level the unit and see if that will sort out the problem--but I'm curious as to what scales the precison loaders prefer.

I'm open to non-flaky electronic scales in the sub-$200 range.

Any suggestions, tips, or tricks?

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:44:53 PM EDT
[#1]
5-0-5, When I place the tray on mine I like to "swing" it a little bit rather than carfully placing it. The little bit of movement helps overcome bearing friction is the idea. I assume you are in a still environment and using weights rather than going by a charge of powder?
Edit: I see now you said when you zero.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you sure that there are no air vents around that could be causing the variance? I found that to be the case with my Hornady beam scale. Mine's dead on with my check weights every time now.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
5-0-5, When I place the tray on mine I like to "swing" it a little bit rather than carfully placing it. The little bit of movement helps overcome bearing friction is the idea. I assume you are in a still environment and using weights rather than going by a charge of powder?

View Quote

I was occasionally checking my loads on a borrowed Dillon electronic powder scale.  

I was getting flaky results with the Dillon--which I have sadly come to expect--my 505 was considered the gold-standard.  

I stopped mid-session, just to weigh the (empty) pan, and check the scale zero, and the check showed the level read a tenth low from the zero I had set at the beginning of the session.

To be fair--my scale deserves a more perfectly level (and rock-solid) stand--I'm going to bed and level a piece of tile--but rechecking zero on an empty pan did undermine my confidence a bit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:05:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you sure that there are no air vents around that could be causing the variance? I found that to be the case with my Hornady beam scale. Mine's dead on with my check weights every time now.
View Quote

The shouldn't be any air currents, no fans, no furnace/AC blower running--but I'll check the possibility more closely.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
rcbs 10-10 there is no better....
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
After it is solid and level try what I said about swinging it when you place the pan. 9 to 3 swing with the length of the scale, not enought so the hanger bumps the small poise but enough to make the needle bounce .2 to .4gr. It settles pretty quickly and I have found this greatly improves repeated measurements of the same weight.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:41:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
rcbs 10-10 there is no better....
View Quote

A 10-10 that has been tuned by Scott Parker
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
After it is solid and level try what I said about swinging it when you place the pan. 9 to 3 swing with the length of the scale, not enought so the hanger bumps the small poise but enough to make the needle bounce .2 to .4gr. It settles pretty quickly and I have found this greatly improves repeated measurements of the same weight.

View Quote

OK--I'll give that a try.  I am also going to move my trickler to a seperate/independent bearing surface--maybe the ergonomics of my setup are transferring downward pressure from trickling to the platform.

I'll also try cleaning the fulcrum bearing surfaces with a Q-tip and some alcohol.

Anybody grease/lube the fulcrum point?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 2:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also ensure you are looking at the scale straight on. Eyes on the same plane as the scale.

You could be getting a parralax error. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax

This is why my 505 is mounted at eye level. No parralax error this way.
View Quote

Good point--my scale is slightly below eye level, up on a pedestal, but I do have to stoop to get it in line with my eye.

I'm going to put some effort into the ergonomics/stability of my setup and see if the problem can resolve itself.

Thanks also for the scale recommendations others have offered, i'll look into them just in case I can't sort out my issues with this scale.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Less fatigue for the user at level eye too. I wouldn't use any lube or grease.

Another thing I do when I set and recheck zero which probably don't make any difference but.... I make sure the beam is centered in the pivots, not push all the way to the back or to the front.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 3:48:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Consider the Dillon Mechanical scale is the same as RCBS 505. Both have Ohaus guts! Dillon is the better value by far.

Cleanliness is the key attribute to getting good results. But a scale cover....

There are better scales for more money of course  RCBS 10-10 and other Ohaus  products...  Then you move onto higher cost stuff like Denver Instruments stuff......
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#13]

I use a Pacific Beam type which has worked Very well the last 20+ years.  I also had a RCBS beam type which also worked well, sold it and a extra press during the reloading rush two years ago.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
My reference standard is my Lyman version of the 5-0-5 magnetic dampening beam scale.   I check it regularly with calibrated weights.  It's always within .1 grain.  

I now load with an electronic Lyman Gen 6 combination drop and scale, but periodically check it against the 5-0-5.   My former Lyman DPS 1200 (early generation) was sensitive to fluorescent lights and electrical lines or devices and prone to drift.  I got in the habit of regularly checking it against the 5-0-5.  The new Gen 6 seems impervious to drift, but I'm compulsive enough not to trust it, to cross check several times during a loading session back to the 5-0-5, and to initially check the 5-0-5 with calibrated weights, even after carefully zeroing.  It takes very little time to run these cross-checks.

I agree that when using a beam scale you need to find a place that is eye level and away from anything that could cause the pan to sway.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 6:27:31 PM EDT
[#15]
RCBS 10/10
I've been using it for 15 years and it's still accurate as they day it was bought.

As far as lubing anything don't, the scale relies on metal to metal surface, introducing lube will gum things up.  

As to the trickler, I keep mine on a hockey puck next to the scale there is a about 3/8" between the two.

If you don't have a full set of check weights, consider buying some.  Every time before I use my scale I zero it  with .1,.2,.5,10, and 20 grain weights.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:29:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
RCBS 10/10

I've been using it for 15 years and it's still accurate as they day it was bought.

As far as lubing anything don't, the scale relies on metal to metal surface, introducing lube will gum things up.  

As to the trickler, I keep mine on a hockey puck next to the scale there is a about 3/8" between the two.

If you don't have a full set of check weights, consider buying some.  Every time before I use my scale I zero it  with .1,.2,.5,10, and 20 grain weights.

View Quote

Check weights would provide some peace of mind.

Are the RCBS good enought?  $30 RCBS Check Weights....

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Those weights are certainly good enough for zeroing your scale.  They have gone up a bit since I purchased mine.

The good thing is that they are not consumable items, they will last forever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:17:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Since you didn't say you are against digital and also wanted under $200, my Dillon D-terminator has been great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:05:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Lyman 1500.
Any scale over about $50 will be MORE than adequate.

I got rid of my beam back when Ainsworth first brought out an digital back in the late '70s or very early '80s.

Would never own another beam, but that's me.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:11:37 AM EDT
[#20]
It's a rcbs , so if it's not reading corrective them a shout, they will either fix or replace Bret, uric fits nicely in a regional priority box
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:00:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I get good results from a Hornady /Pacific beam scale.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#22]
GemPro 250 Love this little guy... Lifetime warranty, very accurate, and showed me just how much my Hornady auto charge was off even after calibrating.

I use both scales and set the auto charge to throw about 2 grains less than my target and then I place that charge on the GemPro and trickle the rest.

It may sound like a lot of work but I can trickle it without going over faster than letting the auto charge trickle and then go over the target like it usually does.

Edit: I still may get a RCBS Charge Master as everyone has good things to say about them, but I think I would still use the GemPro to check any scale.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:03:52 AM EDT
[#23]
PACT BBK
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
A 10-10 that has been tuned by Scott Parker
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^This.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 11:57:27 PM EDT
[#25]
I've had my Dillon D-Terminator for over 10yrs and 170,000rds and it's still working just fine.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I've had my Dillon D-Terminator for over 10yrs and 170,000rds and it's still working just fine.
View Quote

I have one on loan, and i find that it drifts .2 or even .3--do you have any tips for stabilizing an electornic scale?
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Mettler Toledo PR203

Mine doesn't have the draft screen, but works fine as long as you don't make sudden movements or the fan isn't one.

Readable to 0.01gr and easily accurate to 0.02gr. It has internal check weights and automatically calibrates itself (saving $60 on check weights).

There are tons of these or similar ones on ebay and other places. Offer people a couple hundred bucks and they'll often take it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#28]
RCBS  10-10
Bought in 1991, and I trust it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#29]
RCBS 5-0-2.
Dead nuts every time I check it and plenty sensitive.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see this or the fact that my bench is not completely level and possibly warped (can see the needle move on my 505 slightly when I move it spot to spot), but letting it bounce a bit and being patient each load is where I love using my chargemaster and double checking with my 505
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top