Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2014 8:27:57 AM EDT
Since 2011, i've had a consistent loading of 3.7 Grains Bullseye with a 121IFP/124 FMJ/124 JHP Montanna gold.  It was the first load i developed as a handloader and it's served me quite well over the years.  It's noticeably lighter recoiling than any factory load i've ever shot.  Problem is, our Powder source here in town has stopped carrying bullseye, and i'm researching other options.  Since i'm getting into changing powders and load development, i figure it might not be a bad time to go ahead and overhaul my loads with the goal of creating the best, lightest recoiling minor load i can.  

So the question is...115, 124, or 147 FMJs as the bullet?  A little browsing on the other sites and it appears the consensus is that 147s are perceptibly lighter recoiling than 115 and 124...anyone else agree with this?  

Next step...the powder.  I have some Accurate No2 and No5 on my shelf, which are both listed as slower powders than BE on the burn chart and have data listed on Accurate's website.  Should i be looking for powders in the slow end of the spectrum or the fast end with my goal in mind.  Anyone care to make a few recommendations on powders that could lighten up a 124 or 147 load for me?  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Since 2011, i've had a consistent loading of 3.7 Grains Bullseye with a 121IFP/124 FMJ/124 JHP Montanna gold.  It was the first load i developed as a handloader and it's served me quite well over the years.  It's noticeably lighter recoiling than any factory load i've ever shot.  Problem is, our Powder source here in town has stopped carrying bullseye, and i'm researching other options.  Since i'm getting into changing powders and load development, i figure it might not be a bad time to go ahead and overhaul my loads with the goal of creating the best, lightest recoiling minor load i can.  

So the question is...115, 124, or 147 FMJs as the bullet?  A little browsing on the other sites and it appears the consensus is that 147s are perceptibly lighter recoiling than 115 and 124...anyone else agree with this?  

Next step...the powder.  I have some Accurate No2 and No5 on my shelf, which are both listed as slower powders than BE on the burn chart and have data listed on Accurate's website.  Should i be looking for powders in the slow end of the spectrum or the fast end with my goal in mind.  Anyone care to make a few recommendations on powders that could lighten up a 124 or 147 load for me?  

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

you can go down quite low if you are willing to change the springing on your gun. if you want minimum recoil after you will have to experiment with your loads. i would think a 147 with a extremely fast powder would be the way to go.  the fast powder would give it enough oomph to work the action while the heavy bullet offers some mass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have found that for low end loads I can get the same results most of the time with Unique as I do with Bullseye. It just takes a little more of it to do. In 9mm with a 124gr cast bullet it takes 1.1gr more of Unique to match the velocity of my Bullseye load.

As far as 147s recoiling the same or less than a lighter bullet goes I think it may be possible and or it could be more perceived than true. like the previous post stated the 147 will generate more pressure because of its mass. Its also guaranteed to be sub-sonic loaded light and will have less muzzle flash.

The only 147gr I load is a XTP and its not loaded to be light.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 6:25:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I would get the Lee Modern Reloading manual as it has Accurate #2 and #5 loads for bullets from 90gr up to 147 gr. It is also one of the best broad coverage reloading manuals out there. Think there is about 240 different 9mm Para loads in it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:14:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have used Clays, Universal, Titegroup, WST, Bullseye, and Red Dot.

I'm currently loading Red Dot since I had trouble finding more WST, then I scored 8lbs of Bullseye as well..
View Quote

HEHEHEHEEE ...

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the AA#5 for 147 gr bullets. It is extremely clean burning but doesn't burn all the powder.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I worked up a load last weekend

115gr berrys plated
4.5-5.0 grains of unique in my glock 17

all of them shot well and cycled no problem (10 rounds of each weight)

the 4.5 load was like petting a soft puppy. heck even 5 grains felt considerably softer that win white box
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 5:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like the AA#5 for 147 gr bullets. It is extremely clean burning but doesn't burn all the powder.
View Quote

I all but gave up on AA#5 for .45acp.  I could never get a clean enough burn and it got dirty fast.  Only at max loads did it burn worth a damn.

BUT, in regards to the OP, AA#5 is more suited for .40SW and 9mm.  WST is a nice powder as well.  Not as common for 9mm but with a little research you can find the data.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top