Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2014 8:52:41 PM EDT
I am considering loading 1000 rounds of defensive 9mm to stash away and am wondering what my options for reliable FBI test passing bullets with relatively small meplats are available. It needs to have a small meplat so that it will reliably feed through all my pistols and MKII sten. I may even load some 147gr so that they will be sub sonic for suppressed use.

I see there are some good offereings from speer like the gold dot but I am skeptical about others like the hornaday XTP since its not bonded.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:24:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Midway USA had 124 grain Winchester Bonded blems last month in bulk packaging.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Edited: Sorry my original post led to bullets out of stock and not available. Federal HST's, Speer Gold Dots, Remington Golden Saber are good bullets. At present they are hard to find or not available.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:15:53 AM EDT
[#3]
As I type this, Powder Valley Has Barnes, Hornady and Nosler JHP in stock
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:31:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Ok so what offerings are better than others? Like I said I would be wanting something that does well in the FBI protocol tests ie goes through barriers well and doesnt come apart stuff like that.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 4:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
IIRC someone posted a while back that one of plated bullet companies was going to have a SD hollowpoint. I think there were even some gel tests?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:26:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IIRC someone posted a while back that one of plated bullet companies was going to have a SD hollowpoint. I think there were even some gel tests?
View Quote

Berry's is the company but at the present time only carries .40 and .45 calibers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 5:40:38 PM EDT
[#8]
do your own research....

the supply chain is what it is.

What are the real chances of your reloads ever being used in real life? Are you Mexican Police with no means to obtain premium ammo?

Are you a mall Ninja?

Never mind the brand. Spend your money on training and practice ammo. After a few thousand more rounds and being able to place a shot anywhere you choose...then get into a real world debate about which brand of hollow point has what characteristics of penetration and expansion vs the supply chain.

Or just buy a .45 or a rifle.....

Richard Cranium
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Can't find any info on those Berry's
Previous poster, take a break
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Hornady XTPs are decent bullets.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:33:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Berry's is the company but at the present time only carries .40 and .45 calibers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe X-Treme has some...

Linky Dinky
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:55:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Of the commonly thought to be "best" SD rounds (HST, Gold Dots, Win Ranger T, etc), only Speer Gold Dots are available as components IIRC.  Sometimes you see HST or Ranger T bullets available, but I believe they are usually pull-downs
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 12:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

These are what I'm loading till gold dots become readily available again. The XTPs aren't as good as the gold dots, but they will work better than an FMJ if the need arises.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#15]
If you can find them, Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots, and Hornady XTP bullets are all on the FBI approved list.

Get them moving 1100-1200 FPS (4 inch barrel) with a decent medium burn rate powder (HS-6,AA#7, Ramshot Silhouette, etc) and any off those bullets will do what you want them too.

Personally I have around 500 rounds of the Golden Sabers and 500 rounds of the Gold Dots loaded over a STOUT load of Ramshot Silhouette stored back.

I'd advise you to inspect and case gauge each and every round before putting it away, as this is self defense (or offense as it were) ammo.

Good Luck!

Link Posted: 8/20/2014 4:31:18 PM EDT
[#16]
About the only bullet you can find will be the Hornady.  Gold Dots and Bonded Golden Sabers are hit and miss and that being generous.  Barnes bullets are just plain expensive and come in small packages.
Link Posted: 8/20/2014 10:46:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you can find them, Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots, and Hornady XTP bullets are all on the FBI approved list.

View Quote

The Golden Saber can't hold onto it's jacket.  It's an excellent feeding design, but weight retention is horrible, jacket separation is rampant, and core expansion sucks.  The Bonded version has never been available as a component.  I;ve never even seen it in loaded ammo, but it does technically exist.

The XTP was designed as a hunting bullet and has never been able to pass the 4-layer denim test with any reliability.

The only bullet generally available as a component that meets the test criteria is the Gold Dot.

You can sometimes get Winchester Blems or Pulldowns.  Similarly you can get HST pulldowns.  Neither company sells their premium bullets directly as components though.

Currently Winchester Bonded is available from Midway:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213394/winchester-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-124-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100-bulk-packaged?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:26:41 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Golden Saber can't hold onto it's jacket.  It's an excellent feeding design, but weight retention is horrible, jacket separation is rampant, and core expansion sucks.  The Bonded version has never been available as a component.  I;ve never even seen it in loaded ammo, but it does technically exist.

The XTP was designed as a hunting bullet and has never been able to pass the 4-layer denim test with any reliability.

The only bullet generally available as a component that meets the test criteria is the Gold Dot.

You can sometimes get Winchester Blems or Pulldowns.  Similarly you can get HST pulldowns.  Neither company sells their premium bullets directly as components though.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/213394/winchester-bullets-9mm-355-diameter-124-grain-bonded-jacketed-hollow-point-box-of-100-bulk-packaged?cm_vc=ProductFinding

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is all this in the ammo oracle(been a long time since I've perused it)?  Probably time for a refresher.

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:15:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  The Blackhills offering is my carry ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for all the help so far. It basically reinforced what I had already figured about the gold dot and then that factory loadings have better bullets that are rarely available as components. I don't mind picking the stuff up a box at a time when its available.

I do shoot and practice a lot. In fact so much so that I totally forgot over the years that in addition to buying all the components I need to load target ammo I should also be setting aside more than just a few mags of defensive stuff. Hey the cops and the feds do and they train more than they shoot at people in live situations.

Basically its good to be prepared for any eventuality and I'm not super convinced that I want to be stuck with FMJ's in a situation like that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:06:07 AM EDT
[#21]
If you check with online reloading component suppliers you will find several of them have the Speer 124gr GDHP bullet in stock. Sorry I am not going to post links as they then won't be in stock for long. First 3 I checked with had them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:49:13 AM EDT
[#22]
You might check Montana Gold.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top