Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2014 1:53:44 AM EDT
Will dies set in the hornady bushings be correct for both presses or do I need to reset them each time? It would make too much sense to have multiple presses with the same bushings and the dies could swap without tinkering..
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:03:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a LNL and a LYman T-Mag II. As for an answer to your question is no they wont interchange with out adjustment. Biggest reason is the LNL bushings have a raised lip of about 1/8th inch. I've personally never had an issue because I use the T-Mag press to do single stage case prep duties almost exclusively (de-priming, sizing, swageing, trimming). How ever if you really want the two presses to be interchangeable Hornady makes a conversion kit for the rock chucker.

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Conversion-Kit/

Good luck.

Edit: I'm an idiot and didn't read the question correctly. Disregard the above post.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:17:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Will dies set in the hornady bushings be correct for both presses or do I need to reset them each time? It would make too much sense to have multiple presses with the same bushings and the dies could swap without tinkering..
View Quote

I have both presses - you need to reset the dies or have duplicates to avoid resetting . . . unless you can do this:

http://ultimatereloader.com/2009/06/06/calibrating-lnl-ap-and-lnl-classic-hd/
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 6:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I have both presses - you need to reset the dies or have duplicates to avoid resetting . . . unless you can do this:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be so nice to have. I think I'd pay $20 for that simple ring. I'll have to measure my L-N-L and single stage to see if it matches up to the video or if every set of presses is slightly different.
I prefer to develop loads on the single stage, then do mass loading on the L-N-L.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I had this exact thing done. The difference will be different for each press. You really need to measure it first. I need a .11" round shim.

I had a local Smith make mine on a Lathe. Since he is on the other side of town, I mailed him a piece of 1.5" aluminum round stock. He mailed me back the completed piece. He also gave me a couple days to verify it before he removed it from his lathe (in case he had to cut another). Awesome customer service.

Anyway, if you can't find anyone local, PM me and I can get you his info.

Quoted:

That would be so nice to have. I think I'd pay $20 for that simple ring. I'll have to measure my L-N-L and single stage to see if it matches up to the video or if every set of presses is slightly different.
I prefer to develop loads on the single stage, then do mass loading on the L-N-L.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:14:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a slight disagreement with this video though. I think you should be measuring the single stage press at the top of the cam before it cams over.

I haven't done mine yet, but if you measure the cam-overed single stage and compare that to the LNL-AP at the top of the stroke you will get the wrong measurement IMHO.

Agreed?

I have both and I absolutely love them. I haven't needed to switch between presses yet, I typically have certain things I do on each press and keep it that way. So I mark which press the dies are setup..
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I have a slight disagreement with this video though. I think you should be measuring the single stage press at the top of the cam before it cams over.

I haven't done mine yet, but if you measure the cam-overed single stage and compare that to the LNL-AP at the top of the stroke you will get the wrong measurement IMHO.

Agreed?

I have both and I absolutely love them. I haven't needed to switch between presses yet, I typically have certain things I do on each press and keep it that way. So I mark which press the dies are setup..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed?

Had a similar thought - he's ignoring camover. I don't know how much difference it will actually make, but I'd probably measure while moving the ram through it's full upward range to see the difference between the highest point  and where the ram is when the stroke is complete.

Then I'd think a bit about whether the press actually would reach the same high point when under pressure against a locked-in die lol.

Then I'd have the shim made :)
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a LNLAP, and have converted my RC to use the Hornady die bushings.  I used arbor shims to adjust the height of the RC to match the LNLAP.

Works well after a little trial and error, probably because I didn't account for the cam-over.  

Now I can move dies between presses without adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]
As a follow up, I think it is easier and more accurate to just seat a bullet and measure it.

This is what I'm going to do:

Seat a bullet with the LNL AP (it's longer than the classic so you won't have to pull the bullet to measure both).
Measure the bullet (make sure it's a FMJ or HP, no lead tip).
Now move the seating die over to the classic and press the same bullet with this press.
Measure again.

Doing it this way you are taking into account the cam over from the classic press and it's easier to measure!
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Does any one know of a company that will make the spacer to specified measurements - preferably on line ordering?

I looked around locally and couldn't find a shop to do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Does any one know of a company that will make the spacer to specified measurements - preferably on line ordering?

I looked around locally and couldn't find a shop to do it.
View Quote

I have both and would like to know this as well
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Bump for more community input.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I matched my L-N-L Classic and RCBS Rockchuck to my L-N-L AP. I am a machinist, took a lot of careful measurement with a depth mic(not a caliper). I would guess the spacer rings would need to be made special for every application. With all the care I took with mine, all the dies are interchangeable with all my presses but still there will be a couple thou difference between the 3 presses. It is difficult to take into account the slack or flex that may be take up different amounts with the different operations.
It turns out this doesn't matter for even my precision rounds loaded in the AP as I had shown in another thread.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#13]
We used to fiddle with that when we had both.  We replaced the AP with a Dillon 650 and made it less desirable to try and adjust dies,  so now our new method is to get dies and run them on the classic to work up a load, then buy a toolhead and load it progressively on the Dillon.  I mostly use the Classic to pull bullets now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Agree... You can match them easy enough if you have the skills and tools. It is not as easy as one would think. I had a smith make me a spacer for my LNL Classic to match my progressive.
The spacer got me to .00x" (forget x but it was small). Essentially, the classic is a fraction taller now compared to progressive. I could probably take the spacer out and put it on sand paper to get it perfect. He even offered to make me another if necessary. I think I sent him 6" aluminum round stock. He tossed it on the lathe and had it done quick. He must have over 5" left (unless he used for something else).

Then I thought about it for a minute. Is the new delta all that important? IMO, it is not. For what I load, it just doesn't matter. I check sized cases with case gauge. Both presses size essentially the same when I compare 10 sized cases from each press. I can't be 100% sure since you can't size the exact same case in two different presses.

The other major die of concern is the seating die. I would be worried about the delta if I were worried about making ammo for 500+ yd shooting. Since most of us (including me) shoot at 100yd or less most of the time, I don't suspect I will notice. Also, it's easy enough to adjust seating depth on most dies.

So, I guess my point is you don't need a depth mic and you don't need to get too anal about it for 99% of what loading is done. You obviously have way more experience then me and I value your advice. If you can think of issues I am not addressing, please let me know.

I will email my Smith and ask if he still has the aluminum stock I sent him to make my spacer. If he does, he might be able to make more for cheap enough. He built two AK's for me from kits after I realized the tools would cost more than his builds. His pricing was reasonable and he was very responsive. He likes to do jobs like this (and AKs) in batches. So, it would probably make it more desirable if there are at least a few to do. No guarantees but fingers crossed.

Quoted:
I matched my L-N-L Classic and RCBS Rockchuck to my L-N-L AP. I am a machinist, took a lot of careful measurement with a depth mic(not a caliper). I would guess the spacer rings would need to be made special for every application. With all the care I took with mine, all the dies are interchangeable with all my presses but still there will be a couple thou difference between the 3 presses. It is difficult to take into account the slack or flex that may be take up different amounts with the different operations.
It turns out this doesn't matter for even my precision rounds loaded in the AP as I had shown in another thread.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:03:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So, I guess my point is you don't need a depth mic and you don't need to get too anal about it for 99% of what loading is done. You obviously have way more experience then me and I value your advice. If you can think of issues I am not addressing, please let me know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope I agree, it don't matter much if they aren't exactly the same. A good stable load isn't real picky. A picky load isn't real good.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Sort of a late reply, but I have both LNL ap and LNL single stage as well. While the bushings work in both, the die depths are different. So you cannot swap from one to the other without resetting them.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it would have been nice not to have to worry about it when doing my match loads.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:42:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sort of a late reply, but I have both LNL ap and LNL single stage as well. While the bushings work in both, the die depths are different. So you cannot swap from one to the other without resetting them.

It's not a huge deal to me, but it would have been nice not to have to worry about it when doing my match loads.
View Quote

Read the third post.

You can make a shim to make them the same distance.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 9:08:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Read the third post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Read the third post.

I did see it, thanks. I don't have access to a lathe to produce the ring so it's not so easy for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top