Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2014 6:21:43 PM EDT
Have had it on backorder since December. Graf's usually ships pretty quick. Stay tuned for review!

EDIT:
Shipping to TX was only about $16. Dealer discount at Graf's made this a sweet deal.
I received the bullet feeder Wednesday but it was a little slow getting started. These are the albeit minor issues with the install:
1. "Bullet Feed Plate" would not fit onto the "Center Pin". Upon inspection, I realized there were some nasty dings (pic below) on the edge of the hole the pin slides on. Filed off the rough edge and it slid right on.
2. The nuts, washers and bolts that attached the hopper to the support tube were not included. I used some odd bolts and nuts I had to rig it temporarily. Called Hornady Thursday. They were in my mailbox Saturday.
3. The Hex nut and Knurled thumb screw that clamp the bullet tube to the hopper were also missing. However, after pulling apart the packing cardboard in box, I found both floating in the box. They were supposed to be installed in factory but apparently the shipping process knocked them loose. I reported this to Hornady. Hopefully they will adjust their manufacturing process accordingly. Else, they should expect a lot of calls complaining about missing parts.
4. The knurled thumb screw (mentioned above) is supposed to be able to clamp the feed tube (which is a spring actually) into the hopper. However, I could not get the thing tightened enough by hand to clamp the tube into the "Bullet Drop Funnel". I had to get out the pliers to get it tight enough. Else, after a while, the tube would slide out of the funnel and drop all the bullets onto the floor.

Bullet feed plate bottom:

I had been getting ready for the bullet feeder by processing a little brass:

Adjusting the bullet feeder was very easy. I was impressed with how quickly I could get things going (after the initial setup issues above).

I do wish the bullet feeder die was compatible with the Hornady "Microjust" stem. Still it wasn't all that hard to adjust. Seating depth stayed on target for the duration of reloading. You can see here the Microjust won't work:
Top: New bullet feed die. Middle: Microjust stem. Bottom: Standard bullet feed die and stem.

I have only setup the feeder with the Hornady 55 SP's. I don't plan on using this for my match bullets since I spent so much on a Forster feeder die. I would like to try some BT bullets to see if they feed any different. They actually may be more difficult to feed since the feeder counts on the base of bullet helping to align the bullets for bottom down feeding into the funnel. The SP’s flat base actually should make adjustment easier.
My setup:
Station 1: Lyman M Die
Station 2: Hornady Powder Hopper
Station 3: Powder Cop
Station 4: Feeder die
Station 5: Lee FCD

Only other complaint:
If you have used the Hornady case feeder, you will feel right at home with the bullet feeder. While reloading, I had a few bullets fall from the sky (just like cases out of the case feed hopper). Unfortunately, I was not able to figure out how they were falling out. It only happened a few times while reloading hundreds of rounds so I wasn't so concerned.

Overall, I was very pleased with my purchase. It is definitely better designed than the case feeder. I had no issues getting it running and no problems at all during the loading. On habit, I kept reaching for a bullet when I first started out. I soon became happy to have my left hand free to do other things like adjusting cases as I am still plagued with case feeding issues.

Video in action (sorry for shaking):
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkW_0sva4E&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 10:18:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Updated with review...
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Not too good an early start for a new item - parts loose/missing & damaged parts that needed work before they fit

Pity Hornady dropped the ball on the rifle bullet feeders as they WERE supposed to be compatible with the Hornady pistol bullet feeder units

I'll be looking elsewhere myself when time comes to invest in one
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have had it on backorder since December. Graf's usually ships pretty quick. Stay tuned for review!

EDIT:
Shipping to TX was only about $16. Dealer discount at Graf's made this a sweet deal.
I received the bullet feeder Wednesday but it was a little slow getting started. These are the albeit minor issues with the install:
1. "Bullet Feed Plate" would not fit onto the "Center Pin". Upon inspection, I realized there were some nasty dings (pic below) on the edge of the hole the pin slides on. Filed off the rough edge and it slid right on.
2. The nuts, washers and bolts that attached the hopper to the support tube were not included. I used some odd bolts and nuts I had to rig it temporarily. Called Hornady Thursday. They were in my mailbox Saturday.
3. The Hex nut and Knurled thumb screw that clamp the bullet tube to the hopper were also missing. However, after pulling apart the packing cardboard in box, I found both floating in the box. They were supposed to be installed in factory but apparently the shipping process knocked them loose. I reported this to Hornady. Hopefully they will adjust their manufacturing process accordingly. Else, they should expect a lot of calls complaining about missing parts.
4. The knurled thumb screw (mentioned above) is supposed to be able to clamp the feed tube (which is a spring actually) into the hopper. However, I could not get the thing tightened enough by hand to clamp the tube into the "Bullet Drop Funnel". I had to get out the pliers to get it tight enough. Else, after a while, the tube would slide out of the funnel and drop all the bullets onto the floor.

Bullet feed plate Microjust" stem. Still it wasn't all that hard to adjust. Seating depth stayed on target for the duration of reloading. You can see here the Microjust won't work:
Top: New bullet feed die. Middle: Microjust stem. feature=youtu.be]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DkW_0sva4E&feature=youtu.be[/url]
View Quote

Fixed the link for you, nice review.

VID
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, it seems like they rushed this first batch to market.

Not sure you will find a bullet feeder comparable in this price range though. Compare it to RCBS or any other bullet feeder, I think you will find the price competitive and product comparable (once you fix any manufacturing mistakes.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not too good an early start for a new item - parts loose/missing & damaged parts that needed work before they fit

Pity Hornady dropped the ball on the rifle bullet feeders as they WERE supposed to be compatible with the Hornady pistol bullet feeder units

I'll be looking elsewhere myself when time comes to invest in one
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I got my Rifle Bullet Feeder in today.  No issues with missing hardware in mine - everything was there.  My issue is I'm trying to make mine work in a Dillon 1050.  I'm having a problem with that right now, as the die doesn't clear the cartridge before the shell plate wants to advance (meaning the top of the cartridge is still inside the seat die).  On the LnL (didn't measure my RCBS Pro 2000 - but I expect it's similar), there is about 3.5" of clearance between the shell plate and the bottom of the feed/seat die, which the shell plate starts to rotate.  On the 1050, it's only about 2.5" - leaving (coincidentally enough) a little under 1" of the cartridge still inside the die when it starts to rotate.

My suspicion is, the only way to get this particular combination to work is to machine a new indexing arm for the 1050, changing the profile of the arm such that the indexing happens later on in the stroke, and happens quicker - which may have the unintended consequence of sloshing powder around more.  We'll see.

On the upside, this feed/seat die looks MUCH more robust than the RCBS rifle bullet feeder.  Since the bullet drop is case-activated, it's much less likely to jam up with multiple bullets (a big problem I had on the RCBS feeder).  Secondly, even if there is a jam, the die disassembles very quickly (one thumb screw), allowing you to easily clean it out, and reassemble it.  There are no adjustments to worry about when disassembling - all the adjustments are within the main body, and remain intact.

This is certainly the lowest-priced rifle bullet feeder out there (at about $380 street price, vs. about $500 street price for RCBS, and the same for Mr. Bullet Feeder) - and unless you have a Dillon 1050, it should work just fine on any other press.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#7]
That is upsetting. In the Hornady press, the shellplate doesn't start to rotate until it's about an inch off the bottom. I have taken a pic of a case below the feeding die. The shellplate is in a position just about to start rotating. You can see it's cleared the feeding die a good distance. The bottom of die does protrude down quite a bit.

Quoted:
Well, I got my Rifle Bullet Feeder in today.  No issues with missing hardware in mine - everything was there.  My issue is I'm trying to make mine work in a Dillon 1050.  I'm having a problem with that right now, as the die doesn't clear the cartridge before the shell plate wants to advance (meaning the top of the cartridge is still inside the seat die).  On the LnL (didn't measure my RCBS Pro 2000 - but I expect it's similar), there is about 3.5" of clearance between the shell plate and the bottom of the feed/seat die, which the shell plate starts to rotate.  On the 1050, it's only about 2.5" - leaving (coincidentally enough) a little under 1" of the cartridge still inside the die when it starts to rotate.

My suspicion is, the only way to get this particular combination to work is to machine a new indexing arm for the 1050, changing the profile of the arm such that the indexing happens later on in the stroke, and happens quicker - which may have the unintended consequence of sloshing powder around more.  We'll see.

On the upside, this feed/seat die looks MUCH more robust than the RCBS rifle bullet feeder.  Since the bullet drop is case-activated, it's much less likely to jam up with multiple bullets (a big problem I had on the RCBS feeder).  Secondly, even if there is a jam, the die disassembles very quickly (one thumb screw), allowing you to easily clean it out, and reassemble it.  There are no adjustments to worry about when disassembling - all the adjustments are within the main body, and remain intact.

This is certainly the lowest-priced rifle bullet feeder out there (at about $380 street price, vs. about $500 street price for RCBS, and the same for Mr. Bullet Feeder) - and unless you have a Dillon 1050, it should work just fine on any other press.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I noticed Graf's got the 30 Cal conversion in stock. I have one on backorder. I should expect a call from them any day.

Unfortunately, I won't be ok'ing that backorder to ship after reading this:
Hornady Manual

I specifically intended to use this for my 300BO and 30-30 (which has started to become a fun round for me).
Here are the reasons I won't be buying:
1. Won't feed round or flat nose bullets (I guess that makes sense since it arranges them butt down using the bullet shape).
2. Will only seat/crimp cases between 1.82" and 2.85" (i.e. NO 300BO).

I will email Hornady recommending they at least look into a shorter case die since they could easily remedy that issue.

Kind of a bummer.

Link Posted: 9/15/2014 11:05:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow.. super fast reply from Hornady RE: 30 Cal Conversion. Hope they do come up with fix. May just need a variety of feeding/seating die. As long as price isnt outrageous, I would be in for one. Here is the reply:

"Thank You for your correspondence and we are glad to hear you are so happy with the performance of the 22 caliber bullet feeder.  We are aware of the issues with the 30 caliber conversion and the so-called “short comings” and are working on a solution."
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Can this bullet feeder be converted to also drop pistol bullets?

I am looking at them for my two 650s.

Dane
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:31:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dane
View Quote

No - rifle only, and then only .22 and .30 caliber, on sufficiently long cases.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dane

Thank You Tom.

I have two 650s, one setup in SP and the other setup in LP. I guess if I bought one for my pistol and one for rifle I could swap them back and forth between presses as long as the lower mounting bars are in the same position on both presses.

Any thoughts or concerns on that concept?

Dane
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I just picked up the Pistol Bullet Feeder.

I have not set it up yet... but I can tell you the the "support tubes" look exactly the same. There is a top and bottom. I intend to leave the bottom support tube attached to bench and swap them out with the nuts and bolts that attach bottom to top.

Here is the odd part.. The black hopper appears to be the same for the rifle and pistol bullet feeder. The only difference seems to be the fact that the rifle bullet feeder hopper has a shut off switch when the rifle bullet feeder tube is full. It doesn't appear that the Pistol had that function. In fact, I think that was a big complaint from reviewers. I think Hornady remedied that for rifle but still angered the pistol bullet feed owners by not making the two compatible. OY.

So, it may be possible to just use the rifle hopper but swap out the disc and tube inside. Since I have not run the pistol feeder yet, I don't know for sure.

Quoted:

Thank You Tom.

I have two 650s, one setup in SP and the other setup in LP. I guess if I bought one for my pistol and one for rifle I could swap them back and forth between presses as long as the lower mounting bars are in the same position on both presses.

Dane
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dane

Thank You Tom.

Dane

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:50:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Just scored on the 30cal conversion kit, see if I can make a gravity feed. Maybe get the whole thing later.

I called Hornady to see if the sold the feed die by itself they said not yet.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Just scored on the 30cal conversion kit, see if I can make a gravity feed. Maybe get the whole thing later.

View Quote

Should be easy to do. Dealer pricing on Grafs is best deal I have seen. Was tempting. I will wait for Hornady's solution for 300BO first. Till then I will use my fingers
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:03:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Success! I started to install my pistol bullet feeder. As i said earlier, I was going to just attach the hopper and upper support tube in the Pistol bullet feeder to the rifle bullet feeder's lower support tube using the two included nut/bolt sets.

That was a silly idea. Instead, I just removed the Rifle bullet feed wheel and hopper turning plate assembly (essentially the stuff inside hopper). Installed correct size tube for 9mm and I should be all set, right?

No, not yet!  The rifle bullet feeder as mentioned has a cut off switch that the pistol bullet feeder doesn't have. So, the circuit remained "open" since the wire was not attached to the rifle bullet feeder tube cut off switch. So, I attached that and let it dangle, and I was ready to go. Of course then I removed the switch and used a small wire as a "jumper" and that was sufficient.

So, you should be all set with the 30 cal conversion working in your Pistol Bullet Feeder. You just have to pay attention to that tube (keep it filled without going mad with all the bullets rattling around in the hopper.

Let us know your results.

One other thing I should mention is the hopper on the rifle bullet feeder even has the little tab on the lower rim that is used to attach the support wire that supports the Pistol bullet feeder tube. That wire support is not needed or included in the 22 Cal Rifle Bullet Feeder. It was essentially the only other piece I needed to remove from the Pistol BF box. Let me know if it is needed or comes with the 30 Cal feeder conversion.

Cheers!

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Success! I started to install my pistol bullet feeder. As i said earlier, I was going to just attach the hopper and upper support tube in the Pistol bullet feeder to the rifle bullet feeder's lower support tube using the two included nut/bolt sets.

That was a silly idea. Instead, I just removed the Rifle bullet feed wheel and hopper turning plate assembly (essentially the stuff inside hopper). Installed correct size tube for 9mm and I should be all set, right?

No, not yet!  The rifle bullet feeder as mentioned has a cut off switch that the pistol bullet feeder doesn't have. So, the circuit remained "open" since the wire was not attached to the rifle bullet feeder tube cut off switch. So, I attached that and let it dangle, and I was ready to go. Of course then I removed the switch and used a small wire as a "jumper" and that was sufficient.

So, you should be all set with the 30 cal conversion working in your Pistol Bullet Feeder. You just have to pay attention to that tube (keep it filled without going mad with all the bullets rattling around in the hopper.

One other thing I should mention is the hopper on the rifle bullet feeder even has the little tab on the lower rim that is used to attach the support wire that supports the Pistol bullet feeder tube. That wire support is not needed or included in the 22 Cal Rifle Bullet Feeder. It was essentially the only other piece I needed to remove from the Pistol BF box. Let me know if it is needed or comes with the 30 Cal feeder conversion.

Cheers!

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cheers!

Quoted:

Hmmm, That is interesting I was under the impression they were not interchangeable. I was content with just using the rifle feeder die by itself.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:21:57 PM EDT
[#18]
It's really odd indeed. The pistol bullet feeder hopper even has the hole (plugged) where the cut off switch goes.

Here is your fix for the cut off switch:

Since you are a handy guy, you could probably add a switch. The 30 cal bullet feeder tube will have the cut off switch included (built into the tube). You seem like someone who can fiddle with electrical work. All you need to do is have two wires spliced to the lead to the flip switch on back of hopper. Both of those lines should attach to each of the two connectors on the cut off switch on tube. Remember, open circuit is off, closed is on.

Edit: PM or post if you don't understand my babble.

Quoted:

Hmmm, That is interesting I was under the impression they were not interchangeable. I was content with just using the rifle feeder die by itself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers!

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I am used to just "cycling" the hopper when loading for pistol, if I happen to snooze and empty the tube I just turn it on and grab a bullet out of the hopper to load the waiting case, by that time the bullets are ready in the die for the next. ....but yes I do have quite a collection of electrical components, soldering irons, meters, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes, but remember, with the rifle bullet feeder you don't have the luxury of just grabbing a bullet and placing it before you seat. The placing and seating is done at the same time - in same die. SO, if you notice no bullet is seated, you may be tempted to stop before the plate indexes and try to seat a bullet in the die. You then have a double charge two steps back. Of course a double charge in most 30 cal rounds would be an overspill* and noticed (at least in the 30's I load). Perhaps this is the exact reason Hornady didn't come out with a pistol bullet feed die that places and seats? Very easy to be tempted to double charge...

Anyway, food for thought.

*Note: 300BO may not be noticed depending on Powder but those don't work with new feeder die as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Quoted:
I am used to just "cycling" the hopper when loading for pistol, if I happen to snooze and empty the tube I just turn it on and grab a bullet out of the hopper to load the waiting case, by that time the bullets are ready in the die for the next. ....but yes I do have quite a collection of electrical components, soldering irons, meters, etc.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top