Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2014 3:25:12 AM EDT
I am down to my last pound of pistol powder and can't find anymore. Is this shortage due to supply and demand or something else?. I recently went to a big gun show and did not find powder. My local gun shops are out and I can't find any on line. I live in the Dallas TX area. Does anybody know why this is occurring or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank You
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#1]
My friend just sold 2 lbs of AA#5 (and other assorted components) to a guy they drove almost 3 hours to get it. Yeah, times are tough.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:48:58 AM EDT
[#2]
You're in the wrong place, I'm in PA I have no problems finding reloading powder for pistol or rifle.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:49:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I travel for work, mostly east coast and gulf coast. I see quite the opposite. It looks like the prices are getting back to the norm in most areas as well.
In some areas I go to, the LGS will say ppl are still hoarding so maybe thats the case near you.
Bullets/components are like toilet paper, buy in bulk cause youll need em both when the shit starts.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:59:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Seems to be coming back into stock around here.  Last week, LGS had Power Pistol, Blue Dot, 700X, 800X, and others.  Still no Red Dot or Unique.  Prices seemed to be only $2 - $3 above what they were before the shortage.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Nothing available in my AO.

When I say nothing, I mean no pistol or rifle powders. Occasionally some shotshell powders but that's it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s211/waynemclain/th_IMG_20140708_170703_161_zps4fbbbfd4.jpg

got 3lb of Unique a few weeks back, went again last Friday and got 3 more....seems to be getting better around my area.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:04:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

When I say nothing, I mean no pistol or rifle powders. Occasionally some shotshell powders but that's it.
View Quote

If you look around most shotshell powders are suitable for pistol use . Maybe not the exact powder you have been using but they work well and data is out there for most of them . Another benefit is most of the shotshell powders are to be found in kegs and totes rather than small bottles.

Years back I cleaned out the reloading stockpile of a old gent in my club when he passed. I have a 12lb each of 700X and Red dot along with a 8 lb of bullseye . Goes a long way in 38 and 45acp.

I look at it this way- Most of these guys hoarding powder, primers and 22lr will never shoot 95% of it . Somewhere down the line there will be some great deals as they get older and are cleaning out their stockpiles when downsizeing for retirement
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I just ordered AA#2, AA#7, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol online yesterday.

The early bird gets the worm, Cabelas this morning had an assortment of Winchester powders (231, WST) and then some other Alliant pistol powders online. If you cruise the reloading websites early in the morning and are ready to drop a few hundred quickly to somewhat fill a ticket you'll find something.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:52:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just ordered AA#2, AA#7, Unique, Bullseye, Power Pistol online yesterday.

The early bird gets the worm, Cabelas this morning had an assortment of Winchester powders (231, WST) and then some other Alliant pistol powders online. If you cruise the reloading websites early in the morning and are ready to drop a few hundred quickly to somewhat fill a ticket you'll find something.
View Quote

My Lil'Gun/Universal backorder has been in place at Midsouth since late December of 2013  My H110/1680/Longshot backorder was submitted in June of this year.  I bought 2lb of IMR 4227 a couple weeks back and honestly have no desire to use it as it was almost $30/lb whereas most all of the backordered powders are $17.50/lb or less delivered including shipping and hazmat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:07:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

If you look around most shotshell powders are suitable for pistol use . Maybe not the exact powder you have been using but they work well and data is out there for most of them . Another benefit is most of the shotshell powders are to be found in kegs and totes rather than small bottles.

Years back I cleaned out the reloading stockpile of a old gent in my club when he passed. I have a 12lb each of 700X and Red dot along with a 8 lb of bullseye . Goes a long way in 38 and 45acp.

I look at it this way- Most of these guys hoarding powder, primers and 22lr will never shoot 95% of it . Somewhere down the line there will be some great deals as they get older and are cleaning out their stockpiles when downsizeing for retirement
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 20 lbs of 800x.  It goes a long way in 10mm and 45 ACP.  Just harder to meter.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The best supplier of powder in my area just got a shipment last week with several pistol powders. They said pistol powders were being shipped so keep an eye out at your favorite powder suppliers as it will go fast.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]
You can check out this thread from time to time - Daily In-Stock Reloading Notices
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have gotten lucky with a few online places recently. Probably have more than my share. Msg me if you ever come down to Austin and I can help you out.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:34:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Welcome to the powder shortage of 2008 and 2012.

If you want to find powder, go to the tacked "where to find" thread at the top of the page.

If this thread turns into "look ...here for powder" it will be locked.

Please use the tacked thread.
View Quote

At least for this dumbwit, where is the tacked "where to find" thread at the top of the page? Top of what page? Armory? Reloading? Are you talking about "Help to Find / ..."? Can you give us a link that can direct us to the "where to find" tacked thread? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does anybody know why this is occurring or am I looking in the wrong place?

Thank You
View Quote

Blame the Obama administration, their anti-gun agenda, new shooters, ammo prices, and inflation.

I have not seen a single pound of useful pistol powder in a store for at least 2 years, and no real selection for 6.  The only way to get pistol powder is to camp out at the stores that get it and be the first in line.  The local places don't even bother to shelve it anymore, they just wheel it all out in a shopping cart.  Why spend labor putting it on the shelf when it's all going to be gone within an hour or two.

Even rifle powder is hard to come by, but pistol powder is very difficult..
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 2:47:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Found this earlier today. Figure I am good for the next year

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:34:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Scarce in these parts
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Like was said above, take a look at "shotgun" powders.

I reload 9MM, .40 S&W and .45 acp with "shotgun powder".

Red Dot, Blue Dot, Herco, Green Dot, etc.

The Blue Dot is doing especially well in my .40 S&W with 135 grain HPs.  Very nice groups and the recoil tells me that light bullet is moving out when it leaves the barrel.

The Red Dot is a good load for 147 grain HPs in my M&P 9MM.  Again, nice groups.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:55:08 PM EDT
[#22]
seems like the southwest / border states are still going through a drought
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:02:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:38:59 PM EDT
[#24]
As others have said, just knuckle down, place a large order online, and wait it out.

If your LGS has not had powder in forever you are simply banging your head against the wall trying to find it at same. Gun shows, at least here in SC are pretty much a zero.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:41:31 PM EDT
[#25]
It's coming back here in NC, a few weeks back I scored big with large haul of True Blue. Some of the more popular pistol powders are tougher to find but it's certainly better than it was. Rifle powder is everywhere now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 4:46:23 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
As others have said, just knuckle down, place a large order online, and wait it out.
View Quote

Some where in cyber land I have 16 pounds of VVn320 waiting for me.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:08:39 PM EDT
[#27]
One thing I learned from the Hodgdon video... (at least this is how I interpreted it):

Powder companies make each powder in batches. SO, they make thousands of pounds of one powder. Package it up and distribute. Then they switch to making another powder.  Obviously they have mulitple machines doing this and certain high demand powders get extra attention or a dedicated line. But it seems to me if you see a powder for sale that isn't that popular but you need it, buy it now. It probably won't be made again for quite some time (until it comes back into rotation).

Hope this makes sense. Anyway, it's crap like my post that fuels people to hoard. Sometimes you have to do what you got to do.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Pistol powder and R15 are hard to find.

I did go to a new shop that opened near me and got a # of R15

I am okay on magnum pistol powder, but a bit lower than I like to be on Unique, which is my go to plinking powder.

Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have 2 lbs of tite group and 3 lbs of unique.

It'll get me through the rest of the year but haven't seen any for sale in a long while.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 5:58:59 PM EDT
[#30]
OP there was a shooting at a school in Connecticut called Sandy Hook in December of 2012.

All popular caliber ammo was nonexistent for over a year, as was pretty much anything gun related (mags, guns, reloading components, etc).  

The demand for most things has died off in the last 6 months, but handgun powder and .22lr is still very scarce.

I literally have no idea how you are not aware of what's been happening for almost 2 years now......
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 6:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought 32lbs of Bullseye last month for $112 / 8lb keg from my local reloading shop, but I can't find any Win231 and his orders are hit and miss on what he gets in.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 7:49:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 6:29:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Locally (central IL) if you want to load 5.56 or magnums, or some rifle, you can get powder fairly easily, in a reasonable quantity (LGS, box stores, etc). If you want any pistol powder, forget it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#34]
It's getting better, even online.  I got 5 pounds of HP38 (aka Win 231) online from Cabelas about a week ago.  Reasonable price too.  I hadn't seen W231 in stock anywhere in 2 years, and I've been looking pretty hard.

I'm back to "buy opportunistically" mode:  if I stumble across something in stock at a good price and I know I'll use it eventually, I buy it.  But I'm not actively looking for anything any more.

Except 22lr.  (And even there, quality match stuff is available for $.10/rd or thereabouts.  It's cheap stuff for the kids to shoot that only the unemployed Walmart neckbeards can buy.)
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Reloading forum, page 1.  

Yes the "help to find..... 200+ page thread.

First thread below the red line.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/274673_Help_to_Find___Where_to_Find_Tools__Components_and_Promotion_Codes_Go_Here__.html

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to the powder shortage of 2008 and 2012.

If you want to find powder, go to the tacked "where to find" thread at the top of the page.

If this thread turns into "look ...here for powder" it will be locked.

Please use the tacked thread.

At least for this dumbwit, where is the tacked "where to find" thread at the top of the page? Top of what page? Armory? Reloading? Are you talking about "Help to Find / ..."? Can you give us a link that can direct us to the "where to find" tacked thread? Thanks.
Reloading forum, page 1.  

Yes the "help to find..... 200+ page thread.

First thread below the red line.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/274673_Help_to_Find___Where_to_Find_Tools__Components_and_Promotion_Codes_Go_Here__.html

Just added links to Cabela's in that thread for some in stock powders
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Got my backorder of 32lbs of WST I placed over a year ago shipped last week.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:18:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Midwestern Shooters Supply in Lomira, WIsconsin had Win 231. And the best part of it was there annual festival was going on so everything in the store was 5% off.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#38]
I still have 8 pounds of pre-obama Winchester 231 and stacks of primers.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:19:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#40]
LGS had 11 more pounds but I was out of cash

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Blame the Obama administration, their anti-gun agenda, new shooters, ammo prices, and inflation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You

Nope, I'll blame the people that think they have to buy 16+ pounds of powder just because it's on the shelf or because they "might" use it eventually.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Nope, I'll blame the people that think they have to buy 16+ pounds of powder just because it's on the shelf or because they "might" use it eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You

I don't worry about what others do.

I've stocked up on many powders that I "plan" to use, or something similar if it could be found.  Initially I thought a 1 year supply would be nice, now I'd prefer a 3-5 year stash.

~g
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:28:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Have a sad story that many of you of have heard before.

Last Friday I visit a LGS and see the mother load of powder. I score and come home feeling like a baller. This morning my travels take me near the legend LGS again. i call before I get there to see if they have any pistol powder. They went from full shelves and lots to choose from to no pistol powder in about two days...Like a corn field after the locust came through....

I once had a bear hunting mentor in Alaska. His quote of a lifetime was ..."bears are where you find them, how you find them..."

It seems pistol powder now fits this description.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 3:58:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Been picking at powder at the local FFL slowly this year.. (4) bottle April product on a Saturday, (2) more on Monday..  couple week ago I grabbed (2) bottle of July product..

The large container had 3lb of 2009, which 2lb of it loaded (4000) 147gr 9mm for suppressor use

I like Titegroup for long time -
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Op I got some CFE pistol from Alpine range (Kennedale) last month . All they had. Not finding anything from other sources. Good luck
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:42:24 PM EDT
[#48]
I just picked up 4lbs W296 $80.00

And 6k primers $26.99/1000
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I burned quite a bit of that last year but I haven't seen any on the shelves since November.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got my backorder of 32lbs of WST I placed over a year ago shipped last week.

I burned quite a bit of that last year but I haven't seen any on the shelves since November.

I burn a shit ton every year as I typically shoot 25,000 rds of 9mm and 7-8K of .45, guess I'm one of those hoarders.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top