Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
I am taking a training course in the next few months where I will need 600 rounds of 38. I am looking at getting some bullets to load that the indoor range will not complain about. I was curious what weight everyone would recomended.

Thanks

Sean
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
158 grain was the old standard.  Wadcutters are usually 148 grain.

If you insist on jacketed bullets, the 125 grain examples would work fairly well, and closely approximate a lot of popular JHP ammunition.

It all depends on what you plan to use for serious use, and what you can find available cheap.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#2]
My range/plinking loads in a 642 are 158gr LRNFP over a moderate load of TrailBoss. Very mild recoil and have proved very accurate for me.

I carry factory Hydrashoks in that one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My carry ammo has been nyclads but I am thinking about switching to gold dot +p's. However, that seems like an excessive amount of recoil over two days.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:42:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I use 125 grain Rainier Ballistics bullets going around 1000 fps for my practice ammo.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
My wife just took and passed MAG-40 using a S&W 640. Load was a 158 gr Xtreme plated flat point with 3.8 gr American Select for a velocity of about 725.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the "what is the course about" camp.  A J-frame revolver is about the smallest gun I'd put full-power loads through for anything but use as a back up.  So what  you need to do is decide if you want to load marshmallo-soft target loads or serious defensive rounds.  For soft, easy to keep on target loads, 148gr wadcutters over a little bit of (your favorite powder here) are wonderful.  I have introduced a few people to the revolver with my 148gr wadcutter loads and their lack of harsh recoil and report made the process easy.

If you're looking for serious defensive loads, light hollowpoints driven really, really fast have a lot of terminal effect, but that combination makes for very loud, harsh-recoiling loads - which makes them hard to shoot more than one of.  600 of them?  OUCH!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Make sure your range allows handloads first, then make  sure they allow lead or lead exposed bullets.  Midway has bulk Rainier .38 caliber  plated bullets in stock.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1050372030/rainier-leadsafe-bullets-38-caliber-357-diameter-125-grain-plated-flat-nose?cm_vc=ProductFinding
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My wife just took and passed MAG-40 using a S&W 640. Load was a 158 gr Xtreme plated flat point with 3.8 gr American Select for a velocity of about 725.
View Quote

That awesome! Took mag40 a few years back in Utah, great course!

Yeah, 600 rounds of full power loads wouldn't be much fun. Not trying to wimp out and use a peashooter, but I want to make sure my hand can finish the corse. Also shooting the course weak side.

The range does allow reloads, but no exposed lead, I have been told it's an OSHA or EPA thing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 7:35:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I use 125 grain Rainier Ballistics bullets going around 1000 fps for my practice ammo.
View Quote

This (or maybe Berry's - depending on which is cheaper).   Load with something fastish like W2312 or Green Dot.  Since they are fully plated indoor ranges will let you use them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 7:58:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Look into Xtreme plated bullets also.  They have $5 or free shipping a lot of the time and you might be able to get some at a really good price. I'd say 158 gr since most 38 defense ammo is around that weight.  Load them to almost max charge and check the FPS before the class obviously.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:25:50 AM EDT
[#11]
If possible (given its hard to find powder these days) use the cleanest possible powder if you load light. I loaded up quite a few with a light load of AA5 and 125 gr plated bullets. That load gums up the revolver so bad it has to be cleaned every 50 rounds or it won't shoot. The American Select I lucked into is really clean.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:02:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the advice, I'd didnt even think about that.

I usual use titegroup. I read someone that hp38 is dirty. Any recommendations for clean power I might be able to find?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I am using 125 plated for my practice loads with 5.6gn of trueblue. i have been buying from everglades ammo and they run about .09 each shipped.

http://www.evergladesammo.com/bullets/handgun-bullets/38-125gr-plated-fmj-bullets.html
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I usual use titegroup. I read someone that hp38 is dirty. Any recommendations for clean power I might be able to find?
View Quote

I would be inclined to believe putting more powder in the case would be cleaner since it would burn hotter.  Typically light loads are dirty regardless of powder used.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:14:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 5:30:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A couple of things to consider, a J frame with full power loads is no fun to shoot, 600 rounds is going to beat her to death.  If she tries to shoot a 600 round course with full power loads in a J frame, I really doubt if she would be able to complete the course, you should look into getting a hold of a full size 38 revolver for the course.

I don't know the course, what is the maximum range they shoot?  The sights are designed for standard weight bullets, lightweight bullets shoot low, 125 gr bullets in a 38 can shoot a couple of feet low at 25 yards, that is enough to cause serious problems when shooting a course, at 25 yards the bullet impact of a revolver aimed at the bullseye could completely miss the target.  Any loads used should be close to 150 grains so that won't be a factor. I would recommend a light load with a plated bullet of about 150 grains, an old standard load was 148 gr wadcutter or 158 gr round nose, or a semi wadcutter could be used, with 3.1 gr of WW231 or 2.5 gr of Bullseye.  

Cast lead bullets could be used, they would be very dirty, or a better choice would be plated bullets, much cleaner than cast bullets, but the gun is going to get really dirty no matter what kind of bullet you use,  but it will be much dirtier with cast bullets.  Revolvers are inherently dirtier than autos, no matter what loads are used, that gun will be filthy, an old T shirt with some powder solvent on it to wipe the gun down from time to time would help.  
View Quote

I am not sure when I became a female, but its good to know.

Thank you for reminding me about the bullet drop. The class is a defensive revolver course, at a local indoor range. I carry a pocket revolver frequently, which is why I want to use that for the class. I may have a 4 inch 686 available by then, but I would prefer to use what I carry to keep integrity in training.

I know its going to get dirty. I plan to take my Tec sheild Elite to help keep things clean, plus a rag, brush and bore snake. This will be the largest volume I have put through a revolver in such a short window.

Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I am taking a training course in the next few months where I will need 600 rounds of 38. I am looking at getting some bullets to load that the indoor range will not complain about. I was curious what weight everyone would recomended.

Thanks

Sean
View Quote

What sort of ban do they have ammo wise, outside of steel cored ammo? That would be helpful
someone mentioned the 125 xtreme. Good overall plinking round.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:56:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I use 4.0 TG  with 125 RN plated xtreme. Nice groups, cream puff load, recoil wise.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Use a good coated bullet like Bayou and you will not have smoke issues at the indoor range. If you are not performing speed reloads, the 138 gr dewc is what I shoot a lot of in my j frames. If reloads are part of the course, the 160 RN would work fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:15:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Use a good coated bullet like Bayou and you will not have smoke issues at the indoor range. If you are not performing speed reloads, the 138 gr dewc is what I shoot a lot of in my j frames. If reloads are part of the course, the 160 RN would work fine.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Good to know. I've got some bayou bullets tin 45 and 9  that I know my local range lets me use.  Probably going to get some for practice and idpa.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#22]
My old chiefs special shoots to the sights with 158s.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 5:03:49 PM EDT
[#23]
148 grain semi-wadcutters seated flush to the end of the case and using a mild crimp with a nominal charge of Bullseye or Tight Group (2.5 to 2.7 grains) will be fun and accurate for all day range sessions. I assume this course will be a short range self-defense oriented class and a low recoil load will serve you well. Besides, this is the cheapest load to get familiar with your weapon when shooting large volumes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top