Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2014 5:33:05 PM EDT
Hi all. I'm loading 9mm with Titegroup and I'm having inconsistent throws with my RCBS Uniflow powder measure. I'm trying to throw 3.4gr and I'm getting anywhere from 3.2 to 3.6 grains... sometimes I get 3.7gr! Grrr. Does anyone else have this problem with this powder? I really don't want to have to use my Chargemaster for pistol loads...

I don't think static is an issue and my powder baffle doesn't seem to help either way. I have my hopper almost full (I've tried half full too with no better results).

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#2]
My DILLON measure run pretty spot-on with Titegroup,, just tossing it in there for comparison
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks dryflash. I let the powder settle by throwing about 20-30 charges. I guess it's just me and my technique.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you have the small drum? Its nearly impossible to get good throws of that small amount with the large one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:13:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto on needing the pistol drum. My Uniflow will throw Titegroup within .1 when I run it on my Hornady AP.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm using my RCBS chargemaster combo scale to test the charge weight. So it's not a cheap scale. Also I've found the scale to be very accurate.

I didn't know there were different drum sizes. My uniflow is an older model handed down to me by my brother. I'll have to look into that or call rcbs to see what they say. Thanks for the tips guys!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:25:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I can sympathize with your issue. Manually I do not seem to operate a powder measure very well. However I can tell you that Titegroup is always within .1 on my Hornady LNL since the machine makes every movement consistent.

I agree that using a baffle and settling your powder is critical to getting consistent throws.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an old uniflow as well.  It's kicking my arse trying to throw 2.8 of Unique for my .380.

It pours 231 just fine, but who has that anymore ?

I weigh every throw and only use the drops +\- .1 which can take a while.

My Dillon 550b would drop unique very dependable.  If I am using the wrong screw in the uniflow?!?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:06:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an old uniflow as well.  It's kicking my arse trying to throw 2.8 of Unique for my .380.

It pours 231 just fine, but who has that anymore ?

I weigh every throw and only use the drops +\- .1 which can take a while.

My Dillon 550b would drop unique very dependable.  If I am using the wrong screw in the uniflow?!?
View Quote

I made a notation in my log to always weigh each charge of Unique. Neither my SDB or  Harrell Schuentzen pistol measure will drop a reliable charge of Unique.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm using my RCBS chargemaster combo scale to test the charge weight. So it's not a cheap scale. Also I've found the scale to be very accurate.

I didn't know there were different drum sizes. My uniflow is an older model handed down to me by my brother. I'll have to look into that or call rcbs to see what they say. Thanks for the tips guys!
View Quote

Changing the drum size makes a world of difference.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are wasting your time trying to throw small charges with the standard drum, it isn't designed for that.  You need the small drum, its available separately:

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/917289/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-cylinder-assembly-small

If you don't have a powder baffle, you might as well go ahead and get one now, it helps!

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/493217/rcbs-uniflow-powder-measure-powder-baffle

View Quote

Oh wow! When you guys were saying drum I thought you mean the green plastic hopper. I'll have to get one of these to see if that helps.

On another note, I used the uniflow today to load some .223 with H335 and it was super accurate and consistent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Agreed on using the small drum or rotor. No issues with consistent throws using Titegroup in my LNL. The other piece as already mentioned is developing the consistent motion every time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Yes it will throw ball powder all day long dead on the money.

I use the small drum for everything it will handle which typically is up to .308 Win.

Do this with the large drum.  Put just a small amount of "flake" powder in the hopper and observe it looking down into it. When it gets to the level where you can see the adjusting plug you will see why it has such a hard time. The powder charge (like 3.0gr) just barley covers the surface of the plug making it very difficult to "cut" an accurate amount.

The small drum is the answer for small charges. I  still had some trouble with it throwing 'Clays'. That was before I put in the baffle and I haven't tried that load since. I may try just to see if the baffle helps.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I actually modified the rifle rotor in my Uniflow to throw small to medium charges more consistently. The rotor bore is now 7/16" diameter. Why not just buy the pistol rotor? I'm cheap;). The Uniflow is super consistent now. It will throw H335 or Titegroup within .1 grain.

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#18]
NICE
Quoted:
I actually modified the rifle rotor in my Uniflow to throw small to medium charges more consistently. The rotor bore is now 7/16" diameter. Why not just buy the pistol rotor? I'm cheap;). The Uniflow is super consistent now. It will throw H335 or Titegroup within .1 grain.

[email=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41385771@N03/11936035834/]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7393/11936035834_dcb02c0abe_z.jpg[/email]

[email=https://www.flickr.com/photos/41385771@N03/11935590555/]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2873/11935590555_bf24675fa5_z.jpg[/email]

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 5:24:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:50:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Just like they use a vibrator to settle concrete.
Air pump from wallyworld for $10
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Up in FAQ's you will find the instructions for posting pics.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just like they use a vibrator to settle concrete.
Air pump from wallyworld -$10
http://i61.tinypic.com/2latycl.jpgttp://i61.tinypic.com/2latycl.jpg" />
Up in FAQ's you will find the instructions for posting pics.  

Problem with tinypic.
Success with  imgur ;)
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I bought a small powder cylinder for my RCBS UPM and it fixed my problem. Getting +/- .1gr throws now. Thank you guys!
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:31:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Before measuring charges, It's very important to settle the powder in the hopper.

Start by tapping side of hopper with 2 fingers, you should see powder settle.

Next step is to throw 5-10 charges in your pan, then return powder to hopper.

Powder is now settled.

Next thing to work on is powder charging technique, how to operate the powder measure handle.

Use the same speed, same force for every charge. Consistency is the key.

Practice a smooth up and down motion with the powder measure handle.

You will know you are there when you can throw charges + or - .1 gr, which is plenty accurate for pistol loads.

Good luck
View Quote

Thanks for this info. I never knew to tap the side of the measure tube.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:33:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Also after making any adjustment to how much powder is dropped, resettle the powder.  

Throw 3 or 4 charges and return them to the hopper.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before measuring charges, It's very important to settle the powder in the hopper.

Start by tapping side of hopper with 2 fingers, you should see powder settle.

Next step is to throw 5-10 charges in your pan, then return powder to hopper.

Powder is now settled.

Next thing to work on is powder charging technique, how to operate the powder measure handle.

Use the same speed, same force for every charge. Consistency is the key.

Practice a smooth up and down motion with the powder measure handle.

You will know you are there when you can throw charges + or - .1 gr, which is plenty accurate for pistol loads.

Good luck

Thanks for this info. I never knew to tap the side of the measure tube.
Also after making any adjustment to how much powder is dropped, resettle the powder.  

Throw 3 or 4 charges and return them to the hopper.

That, I do.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:11:06 PM EDT
[#29]
aquarium pump is your best bet. settles the powder perfectly and makes every throw exact.

fine grained powder will clump because powder absorbs water from the air. vibrating the hopper prevents clumping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top