COAL 2.230 (base to ogive)
Headspace 1.619"
This gave me 3 shot group .297" @ 100 yards

However My question is about headspace
Here is my data;
Lapua new brass Headspace 1.615"
Lapua once fire headspace 1.621"
I bump shoulder .002" to bring it to down to 1.619"

I notice that if a chamber a dummy sized round(headspace 1.619") and then I ejected the ammo, the shoulder goes back to about avg 1.615"
should I bump back shoulder to 1.615" or leave it at 1.619"?

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd shoot for 1.618"
New brass is usually going to measure shorter so it will function in anything.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas guns usually stretch the brass upon ejection because of existing chamber pressure.  I have a .308 and a .260 and both stretch anywhere from .002-.004.  One thing you might try,  is to disable the gas system to make it a single shot and then measure a fired piece of brass.  With that, I'd then bump the shoulder back .002-.003.

To disable the gas system, I'd loosen the gas block and move it straight forward about .25" or more to block the gas hole.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd guess the cartridge was being resized in-situ by its inertia/momentum while being chambered.  It's not a big change, so I don't think I'd worry too much about it.

If you want to test this theory, manually close the bolt on a round.  If it is unsized by this slow chambering, then inertial resizing is likely the cause.  If you are unable to get the bolt into battery, it is difficult to get it into battery or the round is resized by manuallty operating the bolt, then your measurements are erroneous and your brass is just too long for your chamber.

Does that help?
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#4]
THANKS Trollslayer

THAT helps a lot..and acording to other fourms where i have been asking the same question I am going to set back sholder from fire form size down to .003"

THANKS
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd shoot for 1.618"
New brass is usually going to measure shorter so it will function in anything.
View Quote

Thanks glorifiedG

That is the setting i am goint to settle for!!!!
base on this and other fourms im goint to shoot for .003" back.  With my fire form brass it will be 1.618"

THANKS
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top