Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2014 3:58:59 PM EDT

seems like it will work out...
I had plenty of late '80s Yugo x54 ammo and I've saved the brass as it's just too nice to toss.  I already reload berdan brass however the x54 ammo uses the larger .250 primers....that and .303 as well..
So I saw the youtube vid where the guy decaps the x54 then inserts a copper/brass bushing made from 1/4" tubing and then reforms the primer pocket and drills the flash hole etc....

So I gave it a whirl...was pretty easy...

Dud x54 ammo was recylced to make this test round....
Test fired today:
Report/recoil was normal.
Inspection shows slight leak around the primer pocket but NOT the "insert" pocket.

Decapped easy (it did NOT fall out) and it showed the primer itself split.

Realized I had used a 40-ish year old Rem 9 1/2 primer and that "might" have been the problem....so I reloaded it with another dud round and instead used a fairly new CCI 34 primer.  Also miced the primers...the CCI was .001 LARGER than the Rem primer.

Success! The CCI primer seems to have fixed it. Now to load up a batch for some testing...

Time to convert:

Less than 5 min...that includes me doing every step individually and NOT in batches....
Removing berdan primer
Changing drill bits to clean out primer pocket and then drill flash hole.
Cutting a section of tubing for the insert.
putting primer pocket swage die in press..
pressing in fitting..
removing excess flash from insert.
removing primer pocket tool and replace with shell holder..
prime with CCI 34
Not too bad really.... it would go much faster doing it all in batches..

update:

Took my original case and two new ones out and fired them with full bore loads....no major issues.

Case on far right has been fired 4 times now (1 orig & 3 converted) and FL sized each time and it still  looks good!
Two on left are the new ones and my insert was was shorter than I wanted...one on the left I didn't bottom it out in pocket and it got a tiny leak.  Middle one I bottomed out and it was a little short at the top. It looks like there is some leakage but it may be less than the one on the left.
Next conversions I will ensure the insert is longer than the pocket and there is a little to trim off....I was thinking I could go short and save time on trimming the excess...however I think I'll stay long for now...
HTH some of you guys if you convert any...

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Interested, but link doesn't work.

Already reloading Berdan  
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Interested, but link doesn't work.

Already reloading Berdan  
View Quote
Fixed...but you aren't reloading .250 berdans are you?  

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:11:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 6:34:21 PM EDT
[#4]
I can deprime berdan 762x54R, 8x56R, 7.62x39(but why???) 8mm mauser,  7.5x55, 6.5x55, brit. 303,  I do have large Rifle berdan primers and I loaded all my Ljungman ammo(6.5x55) with berdan primered cases. I was up to 5 cases a minute(after I get warmed up) and I don't use the water method. there are berdan primers for sale here and there. If you really want to reload berdan brass, send me an e-mail and we'll talk about it.
Pat
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Nice topic, and thanks for posting. I do have a couple of questions.

View Quote

What kind of drill bit are you using to drill the hole for the copper tubing? Size? and is it flat bottomed?

What would concern me is cutting into the web and weakening it. You must have a method to prevent this.

How long do you cut the copper tubing?

If I'm following you, the copper insert/tubing is swaged in place with a RCBS primer swaging die?

Have you tried this with steel cases?

I load brass and steel 7.62x39 cases with Berdan primers.

Don't have a 7.62x54R, but find this technique interesting.  

The copper tubing is 1/4" picked up at Lowes.. Don't have the cut to length handy right now.

I do not drill the primer pocket at all.  I just flatten the anvil with punch then center punch it and drill with the 1/16" bit IIRC.

I didn't do it with steel but the youtube guy did.

Yes just use the RCBS swage tool to press it in good the file/trim excess..I did what the video showed...

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:04:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I can deprime berdan 762x54R, 8x56R, 7.62x39(but why???) 8mm mauser,  7.5x55, 6.5x55, brit. 303,  I do have large Rifle berdan primers and I loaded all my Ljungman ammo(6.5x55) with berdan primered cases. I was up to 5 cases a minute(after I get warmed up) and I don't use the water method. there are berdan primers for sale here and there. If you really want to reload berdan brass, send me an e-mail and we'll talk about it.

Pat
View Quote

I'm already a berdan reloader....however since there are NO .250 berdan primers in the USA and not likely to get any..I converted the excellent Yugo x54 cases to boxer...just because..

I already have Lapua x54 and reload albanian x54 which is pretty decent brass once you cull it for defects and then anneal it...

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:26:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice topic, and thanks for posting. I do have a couple of questions.

What kind of drill bit are you using to drill the hole for the copper tubing? Size? and is it flat bottomed?

What would concern me is cutting into the web and weakening it. You must have a method to prevent this.

How long do you cut the copper tubing?

If I'm following you, the copper insert/tubing is swaged in place with a RCBS primer swaging die?

Have you tried this with steel cases?

I load brass and steel 7.62x39 cases with Berdan primers.

Don't have a 7.62x54R, but find this technique interesting.  

The copper tubing is 1/4" picked up at Lowes.. Don't have the cut to length handy right now.

I do not drill the primer pocket at all.  I just flatten the anvil with punch then center punch it and drill with the 1/16" bit IIRC.

I didn't do it with steel but the youtube guy did.

Yes just use the RCBS swage tool to press it in good the file/trim excess..I did what the video showed...

So copper tubing goes into existing primer pocket after anvil is removed and flash hole drilled. Makes sense to me now.  
YUP! Or you can drill flash hole whenever... just flatten anvil before the tubing is swaged in..seemed easier to me that way..

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#9]
interesting
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 10:49:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I find it interesting that this is referred to as Yugo, but is Serbian Prvi Partisan. Did PPU sell this ammo to Yugoslavia, henceforth the name?
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 3:11:42 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I find it interesting that this is referred to as Yugo, but is Serbian Prvi Partisan. Did PPU sell this ammo to Yugoslavia, henceforth the name?
View Quote
Considering this ammo was made in 1989 and Yugoslavia didn't break up until the early 90s....it's why I call it Yugo...

Link Posted: 6/2/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the updates and no, I'm not loading .250 Berdans.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome report, thanks for sharing your results.

I wonder if you would get more reloadings if you switched to brass tubing instead of copper. You can pick up brass tubing at Michaels and most hobby stores.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Powder Valley usually gets real Berdan primers from time to time. I would use them if I were to bother trying to reload them.

While knowing how to do this (in an emergency) may be helpful, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:04:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Powder Valley usually gets real Berdan primers from time to time. I would use them if I were to bother trying to reload them.

While knowing how to do this (in an emergency) may be helpful, I think it's more trouble than it's worth.
View Quote

To reiterate....these cases use .250 berdan primers which have been available in this country in probably 40+ years....NOT the current .217 size berdan primers that fit the x39 and 7.62 NATO cases..

So you can buy brass from Grafs for $.46 ea which is the same brass except boxer....OR I can use the thousands of cases I have here for free.  This brass is too good to toss..

I'm pretty sure I could crank out a hundred or more in an hour and that would last me quite a while.  Not to mention I still reload Albanian x54 brass as well and it's good brass once you cull the defects out.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Awesome report, thanks for sharing your results.

I wonder if you would get more reloadings if you switched to brass tubing instead of copper. You can pick up brass tubing at Michaels and most hobby stores.
View Quote
Not sure if it really matters...if it's copper or brass.  The one case has been FL sized and fired 4 times now + 1 original load and it's still looking good.  I'm planning on FL sizing it until it dies...I'm thinking I can get 10 loads out of it easy...

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been thinking of doing this for 7.5 swiss ammo and 7.62x45

I just wasn't sure if the copper would hold up, but I guess you could always swage it in again if you had to
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 8:41:54 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I just wasn't sure if the copper would hold up, but I guess you could always swage it in again if you had to
View Quote

Not needed for those two calibers as they use the standard KV-762N berdan primer.  .217 primer pockets.

This process is for the the x54 and .303 rounds with the LARGE .250 pocket...

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Jeremy2171,
Why don't you drill the flash from the case mouth side? The dimple the anvil leaves inside of the case makes for a perfect drill start. This is how I did it. Yes you still have to get rid of the rest of the anvil. I made jig with a rod IIRC then used an end mill. But I had access to a Bridgeport milling machine which helped a lot.

That is an interesting mod but seems a little impractical in light of the fact that there are both berdan primers and boxer primed brass readily available for the 54R.

Still a neat mod though don't get me wrong. May be very helpful for someone with a different caliber.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Jeremy2171,

Why don't you drill the flash from the case mouth side? The dimple the anvil leaves inside of the case makes for a perfect drill start. This is how I did it. Yes you still have to get rid of the rest of the anvil. I made jig with a rod IIRC then used an end mill. But I had access to a Bridgeport milling machine which helped a lot.

That is an interesting mod but seems a little impractical in light of the fact that there are both berdan primers and boxer primed brass readily available for the 54R.

Still a neat mod though don't get me wrong. May be very helpful for someone with a different caliber.
View Quote

No dimple in the yugo brass....flush on the inside...

Not sure if I mentioned this before..but there aren't any .250 berdan primers in the USA.....the only other .217 berdan primed x54 brass is albanian, some bulgy and Egyptian I think.  I am positive this late '80s Yugo brass is BETTER than any of those....that and you don't see much of that other brass around at all and I'm sitting a pile of Yugo here.

The only caliber this is likely relevant to is .303 brit. as it also has .250 berdan primers.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh yeah. Albanian is what I had. And I agree it was on the light side.

You got me thinking.

How thick are the walls of the .250 berdan primers? Are they thick enough to reduce the primer pocket's diameter enough to hold a boxer large rifle primer? If it is you could simply plunge mill through the back of the berdan primer and not have to mess with the copper tubing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You got me thinking.

How thick are the walls of the .250 berdan primers? Are they thick enough to reduce the primer pocket's diameter enough to hold a boxer large rifle primer? If it is you could simply plunge mill through the back of the berdan primer and not have to mess with the copper tubing.

View Quote
I don't think they are thick enough to take up the space but I will check on it.  However I don't have a press at this time so right now the tubing method is easiest for me.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not needed for those two calibers as they use the standard KV-762N berdan primer.  .217 primer pockets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there a reference source for the different calibers that use different berdan primer sizes or do you have to buy it first and measure it later?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't seen berdan primers for sale up here in a decade
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Is there a reference source for the different calibers that use different berdan primer sizes or do you have to buy it first and measure it later?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not that I know of..for the "most" part berdan primers come in .217 size (7.62x51/.7.62x39/ 7.5 swiss etc) and that is what seen..however they also come in different "heights"...for ex the 7.62x39 primers are different from the 6.5x55/7.5x55/7.62x51 primers..they are shorter and don't have enough "spark" to be reliable in those cases.

The exceptions are the smaller 5.45 primers (not available in the US) and the LARGER .250 primers (also not available)

Most x54 and .303 cases are the larger .250 primers and this conversion will work for them.  However some newer cases are set up for the .217 primer..such as FN and S. African .303 and Albanian/Egyptian/some bulgarian x54 brass cased ammo.

This conversion also works on steel cases as well...just haven't gotten around to trying any as I have a very large supply of excellent Yugo brass.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We are lucky..we have an importer bringing in Tula berdan and boxer on a regular basis..

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Interesting.

I may have to try converting a couple and see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 6:55:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Powder Valley has Berdan primers in stock right now. 7.62x39mm and standard large rifle sizes are available.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Powder Valley has Berdan primers in stock right now. 7.62x39mm and standard large rifle sizes are available.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I don't think they are thick enough to take up the space but I will check on it.  However I don't have a press at this time so right now the tubing method is easiest for me.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You got me thinking.

Just checked....it's right at the limit for a .210 primer but if you are off a .001 then you get it lopsided and will likely pull the primer out when plunging into the pocket.  So probably NOT a good way to do it.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just checked....it's right at the limit for a .210 primer but if you are off a .001 then you get it lopsided and will likely pull the primer out when plunging into the pocket.  So probably NOT a good way to do it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got me thinking.

OK, Then maybe a .217" berdan? But then your back to decapping berdan again.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:52:12 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You got me thinking.

lol yup..just make it boxer and be done with it!  

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:44:12 PM EDT
[#32]

Fooled around and converted an old .250 berdan Iraqi .303 round.... seems ok as well...

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:14:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Jeremy2171

Any updates on the cases you've converted. I'm interested to see how long they lasted.

Thanks

Eric
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I think using  my lathe and a 1/4 end mill to  drill out the pocket and anvil bump will be in my future

The why to do this we may not have "other" cases to use in the future.

Learn to do this now.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Jeremy2171

Any updates on the cases you've converted. I'm interested to see how long they lasted.

Thanks

Eric
View Quote
Nope..haven't loaded any since those test rounds.....need to get out and shoot some more...

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#36]
I still have a modified flat bottomed end mill in the odd tool pile that was made fro just this.

Many cutters are easier to make by modifying a standard one instead of doing the whole thing from scratch.

I have one cutter that I actually wore out for making Schrader valve caps with the correct internal bevel to allow metal to metal seals on brass stems instead of trying to rely on an o-ring.

It originally was for saps for a really nasty refrigerant we had to use for a special application.
Worse than anhydrous ammonia.
Instead of being irritating it was an out and out poison in small amounts.
We worked on equipment in a glove box. That bad.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#37]
 Primer leaking will play hell with your boltface in short order.

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Tried out the .303 today...good news/bad news...

good news is everything worked fine with the conversion...

bad news is the brass had three tiny cracks at the neck and one small one high on the body.  

Will anneal my other test cases and see if that cures it...

Link Posted: 9/1/2014 7:46:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top