Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 7:24:09 PM EDT
Not just because their products work fantastically, not just because of their warranty. But because I just sold my 20 year old SDB for approximately what I paid for it back in 1996. Yes adjusted for inflation I probably lost a little bit, but it still retained lots of value and I also loaded well over 100,000 rounds on it in that time.

Go Blue!
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:25:14 AM EDT
[#1]
And what is your experience with selling non Dillon presses?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:14:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Hey I sold my used 550 for what I paid for it new years ago. It fit right in the 650 box with the foam and all...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:37:47 AM EDT
[#3]
One of my best friends had a dillon press that he has had for years, loaded lots of ammo on it. A piece broke, sent it to dillon and they rebuilt the hole thing..no charge....wow what a company...when I upgrade to a progressive press..it will be a dillon...
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:41:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been ok with Dillon BUT just tried to find a replacement part for dies and could not find it on their website.  I gave them their part number and their part description and they don't know what I'm talking about.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:58:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

If he has a Dillon, he doesn't need another press.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:30:52 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm not throwing stones, but maybe you aren't communicating what you need very well? on the one time I had a question, they said I cleaned it incorrectly (which I did), but they sent out a new part just in case I couldn't reclean it well enough (the black spacer for the primer unit.... I used light grease, which caked up and caused issues). I learned you just need to clean it, no wet lube at all in this location.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I try not to be biased.

When I got into reloading - panic of 2012/2013 - Dillon presses were impossible to get and months on back order.

I lucked into getting a good deal on a NIB Hornady LNL AP from Cabelas, discounted (open box) and I had points.   Nothing was missing from the box.

I also got an RCBS single stage and case prep center.

I use a Dillon RT1200 trimmer and sizing dies. As well as case gauges.

My next purchase will be a SS600

My next press will probably be a Dillon 1050 or another LnL set up.

Dillon makes great products and stands behind their products. But so does hornady and RCBS. They all re-sell well too.

I tend to be color blind to the MFG's and just buy what works best for the application & what's on hand.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:11:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Dillon makes great products and stands behind their products. But so does hornady and RCBS. They all re-sell well too.
View Quote

So, if you buy an old, used, worn, and partly-broken Hornady press second-hand, will Hornady take it back, replace broken pieces, and tune it all up for you for free?

I considered buying an LnL AP once, because there are some things that I like about it.  I tried to pin down Hornady's CS department on how long they would stock replacement parts, and no matter how I asked, they 100% completely dodged and refused to answer the question.  That's a pretty different attitude than Dillon's.

OP:  You probably could have sold the Dillon for nearly what it sells for NOW, let alone what it sold for years ago.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I personally have sold about a dozen reloading presses including Dillon, LEE, Star, Ponsness Warren, etc. The general consensus in this particular forum is Dillon presses will sell for about 90% of the cost of a new one. That is not just my opinion, but you can read that elsewhere in this forum.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:34:34 AM EDT
[#11]
So, if you buy an old, used, worn, and partly-broken Hornady press second-hand, will Hornady take it back, replace broken pieces, and tune it all up for you for free?
View Quote

Both times I've had a SDB gone through it was $67 and change

ETA: From Gary Kieft at Dillon Precision Products

Cost is still $67.95, which includes shipping the machine back to you.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:43:03 AM EDT
[#12]
buddy has a Hornady
I picked up a SDB

I find it easier to load on the SDB - just seems to work better

but I can't do rifle

so it's a toss up
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:09:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I drank the blue Koolaid last night. I ordered a decked out 550B from Brian Enos site. Be here in a few days.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:18:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Cost is still $67.95, which includes shipping the machine back to you.

I just called them because my SDB wasn't working right (flipping primers), and a cleaning & adjusting the advancement pawl didn't work.  They said to send it back to get fixed, and that anything I put in the box would get looked at and tuned up along with it.  I guess I'll have to see if they charge me for shipping or work.

Mine was used, worn, and broken.  Dillon sent a new casting when I bought it (and refused to take my money), and I got it working well with just a cleaning.  The seating die had so much lead and lube in it that the lead was actually extruded through the vent hole....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in 2010 I sent in a SDB that was missing several parts and Dillon charged me $48.95 including return shipping.

I posed a thread about it and here is the link to it.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#16]
I have only loaded on a Dillon unless you count the first year I reloaded on a beat up ol' Rockchucker a friend gave me to start with and in a very short period of time I decided a S/S press was not going to work, I pretty much have everything Dillon for the 550 like the wrenches that attach, the bullet tray, dies (.223, 9MM, .308, 30.06) etc.. I am very happy with Dillon and don't know what CS service is like with others but over the years Dillon has taken care of me with alot of the little parts as in when I call them to order primer pickup caps, springs etc... they usually just send them to me for FREE !! Now if I could only convince Doug Giraud to give me case holders for free now that would be sweet
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So he really has no idea if other presses would hold there value. My RCBS Rockchuck master kit was about $200 when I bought it 20 years ago, it has a Trim Pro trimmer, 505 scale, Uniflow measure, misc parts and of course the RockChuck press, I could get the $200 back no problem.

My Hornady LNL-AP was $320 after taxes when I bought it in '99, they are going for more than that on ebay.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#18]
No.   Buy a Dillon and stop there.  No need for anything else......except two Dillons
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:07:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I own a lee mec and LnL one day maybe a dedicated 1050 for 223 but that's alot for just one round
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:08:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I considered buying an LnL AP once, because there are some things that I like about it.  I tried to pin down Hornady's CS department on how long they would stock replacement parts, and no matter how I asked, they 100% completely dodged and refused to answer the question.  That's a pretty different attitude than Dillon's.

OP:  You probably could have sold the Dillon for nearly what it sells for NOW, let alone what it sold for years ago.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As far as I know hornady will match dillion on CS 1 to 1.

I've had to contact them a few times. No problems at all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So he really has no idea if other presses would hold there value. My RCBS Rockchuck master kit was about $200 when I bought it 20 years ago, it has a Trim Pro trimmer, 505 scale, Uniflow measure, misc parts and of course the RockChuck press, I could get the $200 back no problem.

My Hornady LNL-AP was $320 after taxes when I bought it in '99, they are going for more than that on ebay.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I buy mostly Dillon and a some things rcbs like my bottom pour casting pot and rock chucker. My goal is to buy several 1050s when I get my bonus next January.

With that being said, I think as long as you don't buy lyman you are going to get your money back easily and have great customer service. This is from what I've seen with friends and people on this board, and the cast boolits board.

I liken Dillon to Larue (don't ban me dryflash, I know mark carries some clout...lol ), they are a top notch product and in many cases the best, but overpriced because they have done a good job at marketing. Even though I feel like Dillon is overpriced, I will continue to buy their products, I don't mind spending a little extra for what I want, when it comes to my hobbies.

When I buy Dillon I feel like I'm paying 30% more for something that is 5% better, if that makes sense. It's a little better maybe but not proportionately so.

I've never heard a story of hornady or rcbs having any less customer service but people ignore it because it's not Dillon. Customer service is dillons thing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:35:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sold my Lee Loadmaster to fund an RCBS Turret, and I pretty much got all my money back out of it as well.  Reloading presses in general hold their value.

(I also have a Dillon 550B.  Got it from a friend for cheap after he got it at an estate sale for cheap.  Also, still have my RCBS Turret and Special 5 presses)
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#23]
This is why I will always buy a Dillon. Not only do they make awesome presses, but they also make these. I'd imagine they make a butt load of cash in this area. Could explain why they rebuild their presses for free or dirt cheap.

Yes it's true. They are one in same.

Dillonaero

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:10:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#25]

while other presses hold their value, the blue line seems to resell in a shorter period of time vs, red, or green.

Yes Dillon will charge a basic fee to go through or upgrade one that has missing parts. Having owned LnL's and dillons. My experience with dillon was much easier than hornady. Again both great products, Ford or Chevy. it's your choice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:59:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Just My Opinion:

I just don't get this recurring discussion.  What difference does it
make what someone else uses to enjoy their hobby to your choice anyway?
Is it likely that any one of us is going to run out and dump our
reloading setup just because someone else picked another brand?  While I've only owned a Dillon 550B and 650 w/casefeeder, I don't see any real issues reported with the quality of other brands with similar features, specifically the RCBS Pro 2000 and Hornady LnL.  This constant need by many to reinforce or validate their choice by running down the other brands seems childish.  Yes, we all like what we like, but running down another person's choice is stupid and a waste of time.

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:14:49 AM EDT
[#27]
It's nothing more than post-purchase rationalization. People invest some of their own ego into what they buy, and then defend it and attack other platforms.

But all of the reloading companies make top notch stuff and most of them have excellent CS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just My Opinion:

I just don't get this recurring discussion.  What difference does it make what someone else uses to enjoy their hobby to your choice anyway?
View Quote

Wasn't that why the Internet was invented?  So we could all argue that one brand is better than another?

Well, OK, that and LOLcats.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#29]
I own both Dillon and Hornady...
I don't know how good their CS is because, well...

I've never needed any.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 8:43:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Wasn't that why the Internet was invented?  So we could all argue that one brand is better than another?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just My Opinion:

I just don't get this recurring discussion.  What difference does it make what someone else uses to enjoy their hobby to your choice anyway?

You might be on to something there!  

Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just My Opinion:

wait, whut?!   compare brands?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just My Opinion:

I just don't get this recurring discussion.  What difference does it make what someone else uses to enjoy their hobby to your choice anyway?  Is it likely that any one of us is going to run out and dump our reloading setup just because someone else picked another brand?  While I've only owned a Dillon 550B and 650 w/casefeeder, I don't see any real issues reported with the quality of other brands with similar features, specifically the RCBS Pro 2000 and Hornady LnL.  This constant need by many to reinforce or validate their choice by running down the other brands seems childish.  Yes, we all like what we like, but running down another person's choice is stupid and a waste of time.

View Quote

Pretty much it amounts to the above, or at least in most cases.  Some are trying to help, some trying to validate, and some doing both at the same time.  It's far from unique to reloading and/or guns.  
With any online comment or review, it's always worth trying to evaluate - 'should I listen to this person at all, and if so, WHY?'
YMMV, etc...always up to individuals to listen to those who yell the loudest, or not..I doubt it's coincidence that the more something costs, the 'louder the validation' usually is..
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:44:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 8:18:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I usually stay out of Dillon threads, not my interest, except the 1050's, and mostly none of my business.  But I finally got curious...the thread has survived longer than usual so I thought I'd see what's so interesting.  Sorry to see it was starting to go south.  Usually that sort of thing seems to be reserved to RCBS threads when over-exuberant Dillon fans get on.  

The one thing I know to be true is this:  Progressives are all targeted to different loaders with different needs.  We are not all the same. For their target buyers,  ALL progressives are great products made by great companies who take care of their customers better than in any other industry I know about.  Yes even Lee's.  So it's no wonder there is exuberance.  Dillon, Lee, RCBS and Hornady owners are exuberant, if they did their homework and got the press that fits best for their needs.

Most of the problem is caused potential buyers who post threads like "what progressive is best"  or "what progressive should I buy?"  It's a loaded question.  The answers is aways "depends".  First, what's your budget?  If you can only afford a Lee, analyze what it can do and if it fits buy it.  What do you shoot? and how much?  What do you expect your progressive to do?  You may want to load 4 calibers of 200 each a night, or load 5000 .45ACP's a night for a week, then change out and load another 5000 .223's.  Those may be extreme for some of us, but there are lots of styles of shooting and reloading.  There are presses made for each.

As much as I love what the Dillon 1050 can do.....it can't do everything as well as another press.  As much as I love my Pro 2K.....it can't do everything as well as Dillon 650.  But the opposite is also true.  What it does do is fit me best.

My bottom line?  We ought to encourage new potential progressive users to analyze their needs and so do the homework necessary to decide which press will fit and please them the most.  Not encourage popularity contests, or polls.  That's no way to make a buying decision.  Only you know what works best for you.

So why don't I have a Dillon 1050?  Much as I love them, I'm more a 3 calibers per night sort of guy.  Yeah....we exist.  I never was into competitive shooting like many of you.  My schedule never would allow for Saturday/Sunday matches, and for sure time to practice every day.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 9:39:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

while other presses hold their value, the blue line seems to resell in a shorter period of time vs, red, or green.

Yes Dillon will charge a basic fee to go through or upgrade one that has missing parts. Having owned LnL's and dillons. My experience with dillon was much easier than hornady. Again both great products, Ford or Chevy. it's your choice.

View Quote
Yes, I have only experience with Dillon, they hooked me early and kept me happy. You must remember 20 years ago other reloading companies didn't take care of their customers like Dillon always has. They emulated Dillon later on.

ETA: When I started reloading back in the early 90's Dillon was the only progressive press that was reliable. I remember reading threads about problems with other brands 10 years ago. Bottom line I sold my press I bought 20+ years ago for what I paid for it then. That makes me happy.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:22:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yes, I have only experience with Dillon, they hooked me early and kept me happy. You must remember 20 years ago other reloading companies didn't take care of their customers like Dillon always has. They emulated Dillon later on.

ETA: When I started reloading back in the early 90's Dillon was the only progressive press that was reliable. I remember reading threads about problems with other brands 10 years ago. Bottom line I sold my press I bought 20+ years ago for what I paid for it then. That makes me happy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I too enjoy coolaid, it makes me intellectually dishonest.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#37]
When new folks come in asking for advice I try to pay attention to what they state their needs are if they know them. I run an LNL but typically recommend the Lee Turret to most, due to their stated needs. Reloading is expensive to get into, even at basic levels when you factor in component prices and or availability in the current market.

I'm not brand loyal and recognize the benefits of all of them. I was fortunate that my boys bought my LNL for me as a birthday gift. I had done my research  and  within my current budget the Lee was the answer. The only time I will join those threads is if they are asking specifically to the LNL otherwise I don't get into them, that's what GD is for.

I enjoy the level heads in the technical forums.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Yes I too enjoy coolaid Kool-Aid, it makes me intellectually dishonest.
View Quote

It doesn't do too much for your spelling though . . . . . .  

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 4:11:31 PM EDT
[#40]
System Message
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top