Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/20/2014 8:54:30 PM EDT
after tallying up all the prices just to buy supplies to load 1,000 rounds of 5,56 plinking ammo (50/55g) i'm thinking i'll just order a case or two of wolf.  $250/260 a case last time i looked while buying brass, powder, primers and bullets are almost that much not to mention the time to actually load it all.

anyone else thinking about this too?

i mean i'll still reload the nice stuff myself like match or specialty things like tracers.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yup about 10 yrs ago. Only calibers I load in bulk now is .45 acp and .44 mag. Not enough savings in .223 for me especially considering how much  I hate trimming brass.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:39:03 PM EDT
[#2]
being as I wont run steel through anything I own ever that would be a no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:52:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep.  Took my son out Friday for his first time w the AR.  He loved it and I started thinking about reloading.  after looking at the Lucky Gunner steel case challenge, I'd be fine with steel since the savings can be enough to pay for a new barrel.  My time is worth too much to justify reloading.  Maybe if I shot 50 or 338 Lapua Mag, or if I needed ultra accurate ammo, but I don't.  I compared the cost of handholding, commercial reloads, and factory new, and I also looked at what I make an hour.  I think I'd be better off working an extra day and putting that money toward ammo.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't reload plinking ammo, unless you count bulk 9mm and .45acp off a progressive that despite being cheap still shoots better than I can aim it.

I don't have a use for filthy 3+ MOA combloc .223 that smells like burning hair and comes in berdan-primed steel cases.

Components, if you look and wait, can be had for prices near pre-panic levels, with some exceptions.  I don't think I've really paid much of a premium on anything in the last couple years.  Of course, I stocked up after the 2009 scare abated, and am sitting on components for perhaps 80,000 rounds all told, so I have the luxury of only buying when a great deal presents itself.

And I enjoy reloading for its own sake.

So no.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:12:24 PM EDT
[#5]
For 5.56 I gave up and buy cases of Privi.  Still reload for everything else.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been running nothing but tula 223, 9mm, and 45acp for over a year. I actually enjoy reloading but trying to find components in stock is such a pita I don't do it now. If I can get some powder and primers from one place I'll start up on 45 for sure since I cast my own bullets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:59:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I reload because I enjoy it. I got into reloading because my first rifle was a 270 that I couldn't afford to feed, and that no one makes match-grade ammunition for. It has turned, however, into as big of a hobby, if not bigger, than shooting for me - I spend far more time reloading than I do shooting.

Between that and the obvious advantages to well-made reloads over factory ammunition (accuracy, reliability, cost/performance), no, I haven't purchased factory ammunition for quite some time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Replacement barrels for my primary arm (SCAR 17) are over $1k, so even saving $0.10/shot using Wolf isn't worth it as my barrel will break in 10k rds (if I'm lucky!) forcing me to get a new assembly. To top that off, my reloads are all MOA or better using LC, NCC and Varget/2000MR; under best conditions the WPA .308 makes 2.5 MOA.

That said, when I let others shoot my stuff I just pickup a few boxes of Tula since I know they won't necessarily need the accuracy and the recoil is generally less.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:37:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I shot many cans of 556 and 9mm wolf.  I still have a few of the 556 that were .15/rd.  I won't reload when I can buy it cheap.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:07:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I reload 9mm 147grain subsonic ammo for $0.07 per round or $7.00 per hundred. I also load 40 S&W but I never bothered to calculate what it costs. If I had to guess I would say $0.08-0.10 per round.

When you get into calibers like 300 BLK or you want to load match grade .308 then reloading is the way to go.

.223? Yep, I load it. But I when I bought components back in 2007 I bought them in bulk.

I think for the most of us here it is a relaxing hobby. We like the tools, we like the process, we like the hard work, and we like the rewards.

jonblack
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:07:37 AM EDT
[#11]
It is far cheaper for me to buy a case of ammo that is too reloaded it at this point for me factoring in the cost of the machines, components and tools and time.
That said I cannot buy any ammo in my State if I wish not be on a state database of ammo purchases. This was the primary reason for me to get back into reloading after a 25 year hiatus. I never thought I would save money by reloading anyway I wind up shooting more for the same cost. I do enjoy it to a point and find myself reloading and playing around with different tools and different set ups and different recipes than I do actually shooting. I think the biggest plus besides not being on anyone's database is the ability to escape the wife for hours on end, that in itself is priceless to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:16:47 AM EDT
[#12]
for plinking, yes, for match grade stuff i load my own.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:20:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I write the brass off as free. I pick up enough at the range every time I go, that I usually come home with 150-200 more than I went there with.

Prices for me, within the last 1-2mo:
  Primers are $35.99/1k locally.
  I bought 10lbs of 1200-R from Powder Valley for $211.15 shipped.
  55gr SP or FMJ projectiles are $103/1k shipped in the EE.

That's $0.207 per round. The days of getting Wolf that cheaply are gone. Sure, there is the prep work involved but I just spread that out over the week (spend an hour here and there when I can) to keep the prepped brass supply up. Loading goes quickly on my 550B with prepped brass.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:28:04 AM EDT
[#14]
when i first started reloading for myself i could do 1,000 rounds of pull down 55g FMJ and 844 from Hi Tech along with wolf primers for $100 or so with free brass.  brass would be another $75 to $110 (dirty vs process).  even with all the places i can get supplies through at dealer costs i'm still looking at $250 or so for 1k.  

my main SBR I shoot is i think some YMH thing i bought in 2005 off gun broker for like $400 and have at least 7k through it, everything from green tip, federal or radway green when it was cheap to a lot of silver bear, tula (did not like that), some wolf and now my reloaded stuff.  took a set of USMC gauges from the shop one night to gauged my upper and bolt figuring it was more than shot out.  Turns out it was tighter then a brand new never fired M4A1 when it came to barrel and chamber erosion testing.  firing pin wasn't even worn down that much, although i had broken the pin that holds the extractor on in half a year earlier but kept using the 2 half's anyway.  

i'm still up in the air on this though, I still feel like I'm saving money doing it myself hahaha
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I still reload my own but I dont shoot the common calibers like that as much anymore.

I do it mainly because I like reloading. A gun is just a machine to empty the brass for reloading.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot a lot of Wolf /Barnel and whatever else. In fact I just put a new barrel on my 16"  Where are you finding a case for 250? Cheapest I have seen is 145 for 500 + shipping. I am starting to reload .223 if I can just find some powder.  Have everything else. Bought 5000 bullets and primers before Obama got back in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
being as I wont run steel through anything I own ever that would be a no.
View Quote

LOL at brass purist's i thought they had all died out....

You go ahead and don't buy any wolf, more for me i will keep using my steel cased wolf to blast away till the range is choking on a cloud of my rotten egg smelling clouds.

i use wolf for blasting, brass cased stuff is for learning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#18]
When I first built my AR, I was buying ammo when I could find it for cheap. Then I shot it. It was not accurate at all, and the steel stuff was getting stuck in my chamber about every 5th or 6th round.

That being said, I have about 100 rounds of Tula steel that I wont shoot. To sell it or whatever, I dont know. Maybe I'll give it to my friend.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Too much work for. 223 period to reload it vs buying tula/wolf.
And tula 9mm: just the projectiles cost more than a box of 50. sure my reloads are prolly more accurate, but with no savings, that takes the motivation right out of me for 9mm.
.45 theres a little savings, but not much. Guess I need another 10mm to justify the equipment
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Gonna have to say no.

Reloading .223 isn't too bad. Trimming doesn't take long at all with a WFT trimmer. And reloading on a Dillon is pretty quick.

I reload .223, .40, 44mag and .45acp.

Just started casting and have enough lead for roughly 18,000 projectiles. Cost me $400 for all casting equipment and lead. That's .02 per bullet for my handguns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Still reload it.

Brass is basically free or only a few cents.

Already got the machines and die. Dillon trimmer.

I sell a few k off of my hornady bulk pack of bullets. So I got probably 15-18 cents in it over all.

Cheaper. Cleaner. More accurate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:03:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Still loading for <.14 ea.  Worth it if you stocked up when components
were available. That is still 2013 prices not ancient history. So yeah not
if you don't have components. Have to buy a couple years worth when
you see a good price. Combine with a friend or two to split hazmat. Etc.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:30:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Exactly,  I'm still shooting components from the run up to Bill Clinton's re election.  

I only buy when they're priced right and I buy a lot.

I wouldn't touch wolf steel either.  I have used some wolf/Tula Brass that a friend gave me.  Brass was good reloading for my cast bullets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:42:24 PM EDT
[#24]
I got .223 down to $.14 per rnd. So no thanks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 3:57:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Wolf and brown bear is all I shoot through my rifles I load for my hunting rifles and load all my hanguns.Loading rifle rounds in bulk is a pain in the ass I don't have time for it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I plink with wolf steel and less expensive brass. I hand load better stuff.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:43:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I plink with wolf steel and less expensive brass. I hand load better stuff.
View Quote

+1 Never had a problem with the "Dreaded Wolf Steel Ammo".
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:30:02 PM EDT
[#28]
I let the kids and guests shoot wolf/tula. I target shoot either hornady 75 match or 53, 77 or 80 grain sierra match king hand loads.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#29]
I enjoy the process and challenge of reloading, so I'm staying with it unless I find something else I'd rather do for a few hours a week.  I haven't bought 223 brass (except for loaded ammo), so that is a non-factor.  Mine are about 10 cents/round less than the least expensive brass cased ammo I've seen lately (about 35 cents per), the big variable being the bullets I'm using.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#30]
The OP's question was -- so anyone give up on reloading and just start buying Wolf?

Many of us do both. I could buy fish or beef cheaper by the pound than what I catch and shoot, but I still fish and hunt.

If you look at it from simply a cost point, you'll give up many hobbies. Like what you do, or quit.
Do what makes you happy, it really matters little what others do.
I find I've gone full circle, I quit loading for years and now remember how I love it. It's not about the money, if it is- buy Wolf (but keep your reloading equipment, you'll probably use it again one day).  Is great to have options.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:59:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
When I first built my AR, I was buying ammo when I could find it for cheap. Then I shot it. It was not accurate at all, and the steel stuff was getting stuck in my chamber about every 5th or 6th round.
That being said, I have about 100 rounds of Tula steel that I wont shoot. To sell it or whatever, I dont know. Maybe I'll give it to my friend.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

just have to break in the barrel a bit more like i did on mine for the Tula stuff hahah, chamber brush with cleaning rod in a drill.  cleaned it right up and worked fine after that.  although mine would only stick after a mag or so.

Quoted:
The OP's question was -- so anyone give up on reloading and just start buying Wolf?

Many of us do both. I could buy fish or beef cheaper by the pound than what I catch and shoot, but I still fish and hunt.

If you look at it from simply a cost point, you'll give up many hobbies. Like what you do, or quit.
I find I've gone full circle, I quit loading for years and now remember how I love it. It's not about the money, if it is- buy Wolf (but keep your reloading equipment, you'll probably use it again one day).  Is great to have options.

sorry i should have specified about giving up on plinking ammo and 5.56.  hell brass 5.56 Wolf now is $340 a case at some points, even reloadable too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I will never use steel-cased, steel-bulleted, russian ammo in anything but the SKS or AK.  Ever.

Before you do, make sure you read the comparison on LuckyGunnerLabs:

I'm not associated with LG in any way, nor do I consider this the apogee of ammo tests.  But it is a good indicator of what happens when you shoot steel ammo in your barrels.

YMMV.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#33]
I might give up on reloading, if Wolf would start making .45-70. Factory ammo approaches or exceeds $2 per round. Between casting and reloading I'm shooting it for about the price of CCI Stinger .22LR. Any other calibers I load for are gravy after the savings from expensive rounds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:28:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I will never use steel-cased, steel-bulleted, russian ammo in anything but the SKS or AK.  Ever.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

I'm not associated with LG in any way, nor do I consider this the apogee of ammo tests.  But it is a good indicator of what happens when you shoot steel ammo in your barrels.

YMMV.

View Quote

Great read. Thanks for the link.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's awesome man. What are you using to shoot so cheap? I try to buy in bulk and I'm at

.03 primer  (CCI or tula)
.07  Powder (XBR currently)
.10  Bullets (usually FMJ from hornady)

Not the cheapest powder but I have quite a bit now. I don't save much over wolf bought in bulk but typically all my reloads shoot better then MOA on my worst day. Wolf will never come close to that.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:00:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's awesome man. What are you using to shoot so cheap? I try to buy in bulk and I'm at

Not the cheapest powder but I have quite a bit now. I don't save much over wolf bought in bulk but typically all my reloads shoot better then MOA on my worst day. Wolf will never come close to that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy the 6000 bulk pack from hornady and sell 4k off at a slight profit. Brings the cost per bullet down very low. I sold mine off to fellow shooters at IDPA.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Txl
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Txl

i don't doubt the russian stuff is harder on the gun than US or military brass cased ammo but they were beating the shit out of the guns.  all rapid fire, not cleaning all that much so clearly it's going to destroy the gun.  if you plan on running your rifle like that i'd just suggest to buy a cheap barrel and the cheap ammo like that.  i would have liked to seen an accuracy test at the beginning say 10 groups of 5 at 100 yds prone off a sand bag, then after the 10k do it again to see how it was.  

my only accuracy requirement is that i can hit a 12in steel gong at 100yds with my SBR and a can without trying that hard like i do now.  in all honestly i'm considering going to 5.45 since i have 8 crates of it laying around and a few open cans.  

ok barring the old timers who were smart and bought supplies to load up 100k 5.56 back in 1995 i was on the fence about reloading for myself. not hating just wishing i could have been able to do that haha.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I went the opposite way and recently started reloading my .223.

I sold off 5 cases of Wolf after a bad day at the range when the poly cases started jamming in the chamber of my Colt and my Bushmaster.  It was only approaching 100 degrees that day, so this problem would have only gotten worse--100 is a cooler day around here.  I don't care what bullshit internet legends or box of troofs you read about this, it happened to me, in front of a group.  45 miles from my house with a group of shooters and no other rounds to fire.  Luckily I had other guns and calibers, but the black guns looked like garbage to the group after this happened.  Mortaring the rifles would not clear them, I had to pound the cases out using a cleaning rod and a rock.  This worked up until the cleaning rod broke.

Like I did, you can say this has never happened to you, until it happens to you.

Luckily I had the ammo in my fort long enough to make a nice profit on it.  I replaced it all with IMI and Ptac.  

A thread on here inspired me to start reloading the .223.  My biggest hurdle every time I considered it was trying to decide if I needed carbide dies.  The reality is that I didn't need them at all.  It is a fairly easy cartridge to reload, if you have a good supply of cases.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#39]
I guess I don't know any better, I just purchased stuff to reload .223/5.56 for my 550 Dillon and Giraud trimmer and I had nothing for that caliber and it was alittle expensive and will take time to recoupe the investment but I would not consider steel cased ammo ..... if they gave it away I would just put it away for SHTF day
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#40]
if you're loading for yourself i wouldn't even bother trimming the cases.  my first 4 or 5k i did a few years ago was like that, random range pick up brass all kinds of head stamps while it didn't look pretty it all went bang.

steel it seems is finicky depending on the gun it's being used in, some are tighter than others or possibly the tolerances on the steel case isn't as strict so varies from batch to batch when made over in Russia.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Well the biggest thing with reloading is buying cheap and stacking deep. I ave enough components to load TONS of ammo. You cannot go buying 1-200 projectiles, primers, or cases at a time. Thats too expensive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#42]
You have to be smart to reload, and buying at current prices =! smart
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

sorry i should have specified about giving up on plinking ammo and 5.56.  hell brass 5.56 Wolf now is $340 a case at some points, even reloadable too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't mean to sound condescending nor judgemental. You are doing nothing wrong, actually you are doing pretty much the same thing I did. As a kid, I could go to the surplus store and buy milsurp once I was old enough to put my change on the counter. We saved our brass (mostly 30M1 and 30-06) and reloaded it with the old hand loader. That spoiled me, I started loading for all my calibers, then taught friends to use my equipment. I pretty much refused to buy factory loaded ammo. Work got hectic and time short, so I started buying factory ammo (except I had 2 wildcat calibers). Reloading seemed to be not that important, but still necessary for my main hunting rifles. I loaded up a bunch for those 2, then got into black rifles again (FNFALs, ARs and AKs) so I started buying cheap steel, at one time I bought 8k Wolf 7.62x39 delivered for $540- that spoiled me. I thought my time was too valuable anyways
15 years later, I'm dusting off my old reloading stuff and finding I really love reloading again just as much as shooting. All the new powders (and much higher prices) change things, but brings me full circle. Screw doing other stuff I don't care to be doing, I'm enjoying reloading again BUT I'm no fool- I still buy loaded ammo when the price is right (for blasting) and for teaching others shooting. I enjoy shooting my handloads more than factory, but still enjoy both.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#44]
(deleted)
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:09:53 AM EDT
[#45]
For me,  I'm learning all I can about reloading.  I like the fact I roll my own.   I do have a good application, hunting.   Nothing gives me more pride than to know I took an animal with a rifle I built and ammo I made myself.   It makes the experience and meat taste better.

If I see a good deal on 223,  I'm not apposed to just picking some up for plinking.  Sometimes I get tired of picking up brass as the range and would just like to shoot and leave.  Either way, it's application.   I have enough supplies stored up for the next shortage and what kills me was standing in line for ammo at a sporting good store.  Never again.  I roll my own and can pull out my dies preconfigured on the tool head and have it rolling out in no time.   There's also something about knowing how things are done.  I change my own oil on my truck.   I don't pay for plumbing problems.  I mow my own lawn.  I can afford to pay to have luxery but it's not how I was raised I guess.  Reloading falls in line with knowing how to do something.  Sure, I'd pay for some good ammo just for fun, but I have something to fall back on.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
For me,  I'm learning all I can about reloading.  I like the fact I roll my own.   I do have a good application, hunting.   Nothing gives me more pride than to know I took an animal with a rifle I built and ammo I made myself.   It makes the experience and meat taste better.

View Quote

Agreed, I like doing every part of the process that I can do myself too. I'd really like to make my own bow and shoot a deer with it, but it's well beyond my skills at this point. We've all got dreams right?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#47]
like someone said, i enjoy reloading almost more than shooting.
and for me, i like using fancy bullets that are not normally loaded in factory ammo.
75% of the shooting i do is for hunting (small & big game) so expanding bullets are a must and factory loaded hunting ammo is less than cheap in my area
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Never
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#49]
hmm  i see what you guys mean, i do like making custom loads or experimenting with different bullets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 10:54:08 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

YMMV.

View Quote

^ This, the potential issues of switching between steel cased + brass causing ejection failures/stoppages, and the whole ammo pains scene, along with being able to load what works best for my gun and purposes, and still saving a bit of $ or shooting more on the same $ = no need to look at Tula, for me.  I'm loading 55gr Hornady for ~19-21c/rd or so now, I believe, and still not seeing much 20c/rd Tula out there.  My barrels also run $600+, so I'd prefer to just not shoot steel.

Having said that, if/when I see a decent deal come up on brass cased ammo, or occasionally specialty purpose ammo, I'll pick some up occasionally for 'the stash' or plinking, to then reload the cases later.  I'd include Tula or Tula/Wolf Gold/brass cased in the 'stash' mix when the price is cheap enough.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top