Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/18/2014 6:30:00 PM EDT
I have a Hornady reload data book...then I noticed It was published in 1980!   Is the data the same, some powders listed not available now, not listing new powders? What do ya'll think.....usable or book only good for a door stop? If no good, what book do ya'll use?

Thanks again Cmax
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:33:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Lyman 49 has been working well for me too.

I picked up the Hornday 9th to get the data on 7.5x54mm MAS, found it also had loads specific to the M1 Garand.

As you get really into reloading, you will find yourself comparing data from lots of sources to gain a wider perspective.

Some data changes over time, so its always a good idea to stay current.

When building a low recoil load for 12 gauge using Unique powder, the older manuals had data where the newer sources did not. Always a good idea to keep the older manuals in your library.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm an FNG in reloading.I have a single stage press (Pacific Brand kit) Bought around 1981. Never used. I will be reloading .38/.357, 9mm, 30-06, 7mm rem mag., .223.   i will probably start with either 38/357 or 9mm...so i guess the book is good for those....great......thanks Cmax
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I personally use Lyman 49th and Hornady 9th (comes in handy for me, using a lot of Hornady bullets). Lyman 49th is a good source for everyone to have.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Hornady reload data book...then I noticed It was published in 1980!   Is the data the same, some powders listed not available now, not listing new powders? What do ya'll think.....usable or book only good for a door stop? If no good, what book do ya'll use?

Thanks again Cmax
View Quote

Some powders have changed over the years and old data no longer applies.  Also testing methods have changed/ improved and some old data has been found to be unsafe with these new testing methods.

Go to the Free online data from you powder manufacturer/distributor for new up-to-data data.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some powders have changed over the years and old data no longer applies.  Also testing methods have changed/ improved and some old data has been found to be unsafe with these new testing methods.

Go to the Free online data from you powder manufacturer/distributor for new up-to-data data.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again Cmax

I contacted Hornady and asked them, this was their response...(FYI)

"Thank you for contacting us.  We would recommend investing in a newer manual and that your 1980 edition, although full of some good information, is simply outdated.  Reason being, in the last several years the chemistry and technological advances in gun powder has changed drastically.  This would make the recommended loads significantly different and possibly dangerous.  Also, our bullets have changed over the  years in some cases and the profile and bearing surfaces, along with the recommend C.O.L.’s will be different.  We are currently in the 9th Edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading – this is available through our retailers and also on e-readers at Amazon for the Kindle and Itunes for the Ipad.  Thanks again,

From: Hornady Manufacturing, Inc [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Saturday, April 19, 2014 4:42 AM"

Thanks everyone, I am sure I'll have other questions... and yes I have reviewed the posts/links at the beginning of this forum...Cmax
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:05:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

"Thank you for contacting us.  We would recommend investing in a newer manual and that your 1980 edition, although full of some good information, is simply outdated.  Reason being, in the last several years the chemistry and technological advances in gun powder has changed drastically.  This would make the recommended loads significantly different and possibly dangerous.  Also, our bullets have changed over the  years in some cases and the profile and bearing surfaces, along with the recommend C.O.L.’s will be different.  We are currently in the 9th Edition of the Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading – this is available through our retailers and also on e-readers at Amazon for the Kindle and Itunes for the Ipad.  Thanks again,

Thanks everyone, I am sure I'll have other questions... and yes I have reviewed the posts/links at the beginning of this forum...Cmax
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again Cmax

I have the last edition of the hornady manual. I have looked through the new one and I like the layout and design.  Lyman is also a good book or the Barnes (I believe) since they seem to have every single weight of bullet that other books leave out. Nosler is also nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top