Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:42:56 PM EDT
I obtained this vintage C-H Magnum press for the always popular price of free. It was rough and frozen but some TLC and a little bead blast made it all better. From what I gather these were made from the early '50s until '65. I like it.

Untitled by zweitakt250, on Flickr

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang, that's pretty spiffy looking
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#3]
What a deal. Bet u could swage casings into bullets on that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
That is one of the finest and best looking presses I have ever seen.  It looks a wee bit stout, too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks good!
Does it feel/work any different than any of the more modern single stage presses?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice!

Did it come with the fly cut aluminum block, or is that your own creation?

If you are a machinist, when are you going to convert the pivots on that old press to caged needle bearings?  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 8:17:38 PM EDT
[#9]
That is pretty damn cool. Wish I could find an old press like that.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

If you are a machinist, when are you going to convert the pivots on that old press to caged needle bearings?  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice!

The "block" is actually 3/4" steel plate. It weighs right at 95lbs. The pivots are amazingly tight. Zero slop in any of the bores. If I did rebuild it I would use bronze bushings as the reloading environment would be a bit harsh for rolling element bearings.

Quoted:
Well done. What color are you going to paint it?

I had a smaller one years ago that took the small threaded dies. It was orange.

I traded it for something.

I have thought about it and I could go back to the red/orange that would be original, or switch to black like the C-H presses are now.

Quoted:
Quoted:
That is pretty damn cool. Wish I could find an old press like that.

Most of the time they look like crap, are covered with rust, missing parts, and creaky if not frozen up.

This press fit that description exactly. PB blaster broke it loose and elbow grease took it from there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Looks like you will have to make an adapter for modern shell holders. The leverage adjustment(I assume) is interesting. Are you going to make it usable as a loading press?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Looks like you will have to make an adapter for modern shell holders. The leverage adjustment(I assume) is interesting. Are you going to make it usable as a loading press?
View Quote

C-H actually still sells the shellholder ram to fit the press:

http://www.ch4d.com/products/equipment/presses/407190

I definitely will use it. Because of the design I think it will be easy to make parts for the press that will allow it to do different things. One use I see in its future is as a press for Wilson hand dies. Stay tuned...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Never seen one   But I love the look of it.  Very nice job of cleaning it up.   Congrats!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top