Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/31/2014 8:28:02 PM EDT
I got this case lube and am wondering how I should apply it to the inside of my 223 shells.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:17:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Hexane  is the main ingredient  used in the spray. May not be healthy? Also in Hornady spray lube.  Dont spray your accuracy away, use RCBS Case Lube  Kit    ( This product has no components defined as hazardous by 29 CFR 1910.1200 (c).)   Put a small amount on the brush, run in & out of neck. Use to much and powder will stick to the lube. A Q-tip can be used to remove excess lube. But most lube will be removed by the expander as it comes out of the case neck.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:45:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a nylon bore brush for the correct caliber. Dab in the lube, run through the case neck. Should be good for a bunch of cases.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
But most lube will be removed by the expander as it comes out of the case neck.
View Quote

Not so sure this is true. The expander will push the lube to the shoulder, and past, when it is inserted. The more cases you do, the heavier it builds on the expander causing larger drips inside the case. No?
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
The neck should be expanded from firing as the expander goes in. Yes, lube will build up on the top  of RCBS  expander buttons. Not a perfect way to lube and its slow when wiping out excess with a Q-Tip.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I use a nylon bore brush for the correct caliber. Dab in the lube, run through the case neck. Should be good for a bunch of cases.
View Quote

Exact method I use for neck lubing and it works flawlessly. I put a drop or two on the nylon brush do 25-30 then repeat.

I wash my cases in hot soapy water then wet tumble again for 1-2 hours to remove any case lube left after processing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Not so sure this is true. The expander will push the lube to the shoulder, and past, when it is inserted. The more cases you do, the heavier it builds on the expander causing larger drips inside the case. No?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
But most lube will be removed by the expander as it comes out of the case neck.

I use the powdered mica dry lube for inside the neck.  It takes very little.  I dunk every other neck in the little cup and flick the case to let the lose material fall back into the little cup.

The mica is relatively inert.  It has been used as a cosmetics base for centuries.

The expander reaction with the neck has a great deal to do with how clean the inside of the neck is after you do your cursory cleaning before sizing.  Once fired range pick-ups may need some serious attention in that area before full length sizing.
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I never apply it to the neck but rcbs sells a hand tool to do that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top