Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/20/2014 3:27:35 AM EDT
I like to think I've got an excellent collection of tools, but I'm always amazed to find a new tool that makes life so much simpler.

So, what is the single piece of equipment you could not live without.

For me:

Hornady Case Feeder, it's a Godsent! I felt so stupid when I hooked this thing up for all the time I wasted before hand loading each case!

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:36:44 AM EDT
[#1]
^^^^^^ That's the next item on my wishlist.

For me the ultimate why didn't I buy this sooner is this.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii294/Clayne_b/RCBSChargemaster_zpsd5d19127.jpg
View Quote

THIS Definitely! Cut gas dump time in half.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:07:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I can't think of anything.

Funny though, the items mentioned so far I have no use for. I can load cases by hand just as fast as the feeder and my measures throw powder faster and more accurately than a despenser(due to the powder I use).

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:14:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Funny though, the items mentioned so far I have no use for. I can load cases by hand just as fast as the feeder and my measures throw powder faster and more accurately than a despenser(due to the powder I use).

View Quote

If you think you can load cases by hand just as fast as the feeder you need to give the feeder a chance. I think you are severely misguided

Instead of hand loading a case, then bullet between every crank of the shaft you only load bullet, pull, load bullet, pull, etc. One hand performs each operation. I would argue it is at least 20-30% faster! I was in your boat about 2 months ago, but bought the case feeder off the EE for a steal and now I can't live without it!

You don't have 1 single item you would consider irreplaceable?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:18:04 AM EDT
[#5]
A good heavy table is the most important reloading item there is.
Sadly I don't currently have one.
Resizing with a wobbly table sucks ball
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Dillon's Automatic Primer Filler. Great time saver. Loading them little suckers one at a time with a pickup tube almost drove me up a wall! Second would be the case feeder.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:41:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree. Upgrading my bench now. 7' long and 29 inches deep. I put two layers of 3/4 inch MDF and the 20 gauge stainless top will be ready tomorrow. I put the first husky cabinet together last night and the second will go on the right. I will have husky track in the middle to hold containers and what not...

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 4:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you think you can load cases by hand just as fast as the feeder you need to give the feeder a chance. I think you are severely misguided

Instead of hand loading a case, then bullet between every crank of the shaft you only load bullet, pull, load bullet, pull, etc. One hand performs each operation. I would argue it is at least 20-30% faster! I was in your boat about 2 months ago, but bought the case feeder off the EE for a steal and now I can't live without it!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought the conversion plate for a feeder just in case but I cannot justify the money and I just spent $680 on a case trimmer(that will cut about 10 seconds/case).

My hand is waiting, case ready and  oriented, for the ram to come down.
There is a video in the "1050 counter thread" of me decapping and belling .40 cases, I doubt the feeder is 5% faster than I am loading cases in that video.

I have a bullet feeder as the bullet is small and harder to place. It about halves the time to load 100 rounds(50% faster, I did a video comparing ) but 4 minutes vs. 8 minutes per 100 is not really a life or death situation. I could do without.

I guess there are items I WONT do without but they are generalized for efficiency. I wont be without 3 powder measures, I wont be without 3 presses all LNL bushed and shimmed to the same height, I wont be without a auto-progressive press....

Ok I thought of a specific, I will never give up my RCBS Universal Hand Primer, I will accept no other, I may buy another so I don't have to switch small to large even though it only takes a minute to switch. Even I wore one out every year I would continue to buy more.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:18:23 AM EDT
[#9]
This:

Followed closely by this:
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Would that second one be the Miller High Life your talking about? Hopefully not.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "My comfy reloading bench chair".

I could do everything with the bare minimum, but if i'm not comfortable when I'm doing it, I lose interest real quick. Long reloading sessions absolutely require a comfortable chair.

If it must be a reloading "tool", then I'm gonna have to go with the RCBS trimmer as well, with the champfer, debur cutter head.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:35:04 AM EDT
[#11]

The beer?

Drinking and reloading do not mix.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 5:53:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The beer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

The beer?

What makes you think he is drinking and reloading. Setting a beer near the reloading work area does not equal drinking while reloading, he should have put a pack of smokes in the pic too to really get panties in a wad.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]
The one single most important piece of equipment for me would be.... a reloading press. lol.  without one there wouldnt be any reloading going on.

Seriously, however, I also think having a solid bench is very important.  I'll go one step further and say a solid reloading area/room/environment is a much needed part.
Sure, you can load on your mother's folding TV dinner tray in the living room, but you're probably not going to like it or be effective lol.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What makes you think he is drinking and reloading. Setting a beer near the reloading work area does not equal drinking while reloading, he should have put a pack of smokes in the pic too to really get panties in a wad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The beer?

Really? you don't see the little smiley there?
geeeez

I was really commenting on the beer being a piece of reloading equipment he can not live without...... I thought it was funny.

ETA: If I was really seriously thinking he was doing that, I would have used or
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:21:20 AM EDT
[#15]
My RCBS 5-0-5 beam scale. After bad luck and frustrations with digital scales it is nice to know that the 5-0-5 will always be reliable and accurate.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:43:47 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

geeeez

I was really commenting on the beer being a piece of reloading equipment he can not live without...... I thought it was funny.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The beer?

geeeez

Ha! No actually I didn't see the smiley, it doesn't show up on my phone but now I see the code in the quote, sorry.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Meh, nothing wrong with enjoying a cold beer while reloading. I also listen to music in the background too.

I need a good reloading chair. Right now I just stand on my hard concrete floor in bare feet.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 7:43:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Meh, nothing wrong with enjoying a cold beer while reloading. I also listen to music in the background too.

I need a good reloading chair. Right now I just stand on my hard concrete floor in bare feet.
View Quote

Well my latest have to have is my tiny new TV!

As for concrete floors, cold feet, and a good chair.....I got those covered a few years ago.  The colored foam pads from Sam's Club are perfect for my bare feet and raise the temperature in my garage 10 degrees in the winter all buy itself.  Getting tired of the colors already tho....but the option on the flipside is gray.  For my use, the perfect reloading chair is a good comfy drafting stool under a 36" high bench.  Not much effort to sit or get up and stand....perfect.

My all-time favorite tool though is my Avalanche.  It takes me to shoot, buy more tools and components, and even to hunt.  It even transported the full sheet of plywood and lumber to build my bench safely in a rain storm.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Besides my 650, casefeeder, and Dillon trimmer dies on my case prep toolheads, the single most important piece of equipment is my digital scale.  It's faster and more accurate than a beam scale and for setting up the powder feeder, it's absolutely a necessity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#20]
My brain - everything else is worthless without it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:20:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My brain - everything else is worthless without it.
View Quote

IDK, I see a lot of people reloading without that
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:30:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Casting pot
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:32:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I would be able to get along without any of the luxuries EXCEPT my Gracey Power Trimmer.  No way I will ever go back to manually trimming rifle cases again.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:36:54 AM EDT
[#24]
For reloading 9mm my XL650  

Besides that my Lyman #55 powder measure.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#25]
3 Way cutter for TrimPro2. Good God, before that case prep was stupid long and destroyed my fingers. Now all I need is a faster way to de primer crimp, the countersink in drill bit is pretty niffty.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#26]
For me, it is my 550B.  I can't imagine reloading without it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 9:11:45 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii294/Clayne_b/RCBSChargemaster_zpsd5d19127.jpg
View Quote

My vote
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#28]
For me,, the freedom and ability to  reload legally
ETA forgot to add the tool, sorry,, a gun, to keep those abilities
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#29]
RCBS Hand priming tool, or just a hand priming tool in general.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#30]
A chronograph.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I agree. Upgrading my bench now. 7' long and 29 inches deep. I put two layers of 3/4 inch MDF and the 20 gauge stainless top will be ready tomorrow. I put the first husky cabinet together last night and the second will go on the right. I will have husky track in the middle to hold containers and what not...

http://rs286.pbsrc.com/albums/ll89/bud2928/20140319_171538_zps38e83ae1.jpg~320x480?t=1395318490
View Quote

HOLY SHYT!!! my friend is building me the same table top u described, but i told him 60x24. Same 3/4 MDF stacked and wrapped in 20ga stainless(costing me a 20 pack). Great minds think alike i guess
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:46:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Any type of powered trimmer, in my case the Giraud.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:10:10 AM EDT
[#33]
The first thing that I found was deswaging sucked.  I bought a Dillon 600 Super Swage and can't believe how easy it is.  It really took the suck factor down on my reloading sessions.

Now, trimming is driving me nuts.  I would like to have a powered trimmer that chamfers and deburs on the cut.  I have looked at the World's Finest Trimmer for ease of use and cost, but I am not sure if it chamfer's and deburs.  I also have been dreaming of a Giraud trimmer, if only it was a little cheaper....

The trimmer will be my next "can't live without" item.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:21:36 AM EDT
[#34]
My tumbler, I couldn't imagine trying to clean brass by hand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Well...the one tool I can't live without....the press and dies technically, otherwise...would be rather hard to reload.

Purchases I'm glad I made?

-Hornady Case feeder

-Giraud Trimmer

- The Franklin Arsenal primer vibratory filler. Not expensive like other options and quick to load 100 primers in tubes.

- Giraud Annealer
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
For me, it is my 550B.  I can't imagine reloading without it.
View Quote

Me too.  Followed closely by a power trimmer of some kind (currently Giraud but Dillon would work too and possibly even the RCBS w/ 3-way cutter).
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 5:53:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Charge master here also, saves a lot of time, also while not needed I have a rapid case kicker that speeds up the process, no need to put case in, take it out, put it in etc.. Just put in the brass then when I lower and raise the press handle it kicks it put on the down stroke, great for tons of brass
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:04:28 AM EDT
[#38]
I agree, makes life so much easier!
Quoted:
I would be able to get along without any of the luxuries EXCEPT my Gracey Power Trimmer.  No way I will ever go back to manually trimming rifle cases again.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/22/2014 5:41:56 AM EDT
[#39]
My Redding Model #1 oil buffered scale.

(stock picture, but the same as my scale)

First scale I bought and it has not wavered in its precision yet.

It's also outlasted the 4 digital powder scales I tried (not a single one worked for more than a day), and is significantly faster than my Ohaus analytical balance.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Lee decapping die. I wet tumble, so it's a must have.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:04:58 AM EDT
[#41]
My RCBS case prep thing.

Deburr, chamfer and remove primer pocket crimps on one gadget.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 2:08:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Would that second one be the Miller High Life your talking about? Hopefully not.

Call me crazy, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say "My comfy reloading bench chair".

I could do everything with the bare minimum, but if i'm not comfortable when I'm doing it, I lose interest real quick. Long reloading sessions absolutely require a comfortable chair.

If it must be a reloading "tool", then I'm gonna have to go with the RCBS trimmer as well, with the champfer, debur cutter head.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Definitely agree with the chair comment!  For the "tool I gotta go with the Giraud trimmer!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#43]
i can live w/o it but the best i wish i got sooner tool would be the hornady comparator tool. It has allowed me to be more precise in my reloading and actually see what the numbers tell me.

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Mini lathe. Can't tell you how many different ways I've used it. At the very least, I use it for reaming primer pockets, chamfering, deburring and trimming, among other things.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm new to reloading, so this thread is going to help me out a lot I think.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#46]
Would be a Dillon XL650 case feeder but that is mandatory and I would not of bought the press without it.
So my vote goes to a case gauge for rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:10:20 PM EDT
[#47]
The 3-way and my Tmag, not so fast and not too slow.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:39:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

View Quote
I love mine

Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:38:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

This.  Makes loading ladder tests a breeze.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top