Site Notices
11/28/2014 6:01:52 AM
11/27/2014 12:14:39 AM
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2
Author
Posted: 1/23/2014 8:23:14 AM EST
Anyone get a chance to see this thing in person?

Looks very promising...

The simple fact that I can sit it next to me on a bench and just start shooting is exciting. I just need to know the price now...

mylabradar.com
Wingman26
Team Member
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 10:19:09 AM EST
Sounds really nice, I'll guess the main problem will be the price, its likely to be very expensive. If the price is reasonable, and it works as advertised, they will sell well.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt
Site Staff http://mp-pistol.com/boards/
NRA Life
Amateur Radio WB5ONL
ZA206
herp....
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 11:07:52 AM EST

Looks super-cool. I wonder about the cost... looks really expensive. If it's less than the magnetospeed, I'm interested.

-ZA
derp...
Eric802
It's not the years, it's the miles...
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 11:16:17 AM EST
There is a thread about it over on Sniper's Hide. Someone there talked to the guys at the booth at SHOT, sounds like it's going to be $400-$450.

I wonder how it would work at a busy range with another guy shooting 4 feet to your right or left.
RIP, Jeff.
rtpguy
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 11:50:14 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Eric802:
There is a thread about it over on Sniper's Hide. Someone there talked to the guys at the booth at SHOT, sounds like it's going to be $400-$450.

I wonder how it would work at a busy range with another guy shooting 4 feet to your right or left.

That's probably pretty close, would have guessed $400-$600, in other words, not inexpensive.
ZA206
herp....
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 2:10:29 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Eric802:

That's magnetospeed price.... Call me interested. I signed up for their newsletter.
I almost pulled the trigger on a magnetospeed, but I couldn't get over the fact that I couldn't use it with
a pistol or a bow (yes, I'm also an archer), and most importantly, couldn't use it during load work ups.

ZA
derp...
RugRat
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 2:13:55 PM EST
How does it differentiate between smoke and bullets?
StretchMaK
crazy ass cracker
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 4:56:31 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ZA206:
Originally Posted By Eric802:

That's magnetospeed price.... Call me interested. I signed up for their newsletter.
I almost pulled the trigger on a magnetospeed, but I couldn't get over the fact that I couldn't use it with
a pistol or a bow (yes, I'm also an archer), and most importantly, couldn't use it during load work ups.

ZA

Why can't it be used for load work ups?
I WILL NOT COMPLY
Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 5:59:47 PM EST
What I like is the velocity as the projectile goes down range. You get muzzle velocity and velocity at all the other distances, too. It is akin to having multiple chronographs at various distances downrange.
Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 6:02:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/23/2014 6:05:42 PM EST by Trollslayer]
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By RugRat:
How does it differentiate between smoke and bullets?

It probably cannot "see" the smoke. The particles are too small and the radar goes right through the smoke.

I'm wondering what frequency it operates at that it can "see" a light weight, small caliber projectile.

5 mm diameter bullet is ~ 1/2 wavelength, therefore the wavelength is ~10 mm (1 cm, .01 m). That's 30 GHz.
MTNmyMag
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 6:11:15 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By StretchMaK:
Originally Posted By ZA206:

ZA

You most certainly can use it for load work ups, it may or may not shift your POI it will NOT affect your group size.
Originally Posted By EvilApplesauce:The kess they jnie the better
scorps
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 7:58:17 PM EST
I would suspect Ka band, much like police radar and very directional.
Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/23/2014 9:22:08 PM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By scorps:
I would suspect Ka band, much like police radar and very directional.

I think you've got it.

The Ka band (Pronounced: "Kay-Ay Band") covers the frequencies of 26.5–40 GHz,[1] i.e. wavelengths from slightly over one centimeter down to 0.75 centimeters.[2] The Ka band is part of the K band of the microwave band of the electromagnetic spectrum. This symbol refers to "K-above" — in other words, the band directly above the K-band. The 30/20 GHz band is used in communications satellites, uplink in either the 27.5 GHz and 31 GHz bands,[3] and high-resolution, close-range targeting radars aboard military airplanes. Some frequencies in this radio band are used for vehicle speed detection by law enforcement.[4] Kepler Mission uses this frequency range to downlink the scientific data collected by the space telescope.

The designation "Ka-band" is from Kurz-above, which stems from the German word "kurz" meaning short.[5]
ZA206
herp....
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 6:58:58 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
Originally Posted By StretchMaK:

ZA

You most certainly can use it for load work ups, it may or may not shift your POI it will NOT affect your group size.

Is that your experience with it? Something hanging off the end of the barrel would seem to effect the harmonics and group
size. I don't have one, but I've seen this issue brought up. I don't give a darn about POI changes, that's a non-issue.

-ZA
derp...
MTNmyMag
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 7:01:11 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By ZA206:
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:
Originally Posted By StretchMaK:

ZA

My Experience and the experience of several other people

Is that your experience with it? Something hanging off the end of the barrel would seem to effect the harmonics and group
size. I don't have one, but I've seen this issue brought up. I don't give a darn about POI changes, that's a non-issue.

-ZA

Trollslayer
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 9:16:12 AM EST
If all the advertised characteristics prove real with no detrimental issues creeping in, this may well be worth the money. The velocity versus distance feature alone would have added value. That it is insensitive to lighting and wind conditions has value (big value, IMO).
ALASKANFIRE
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 9:51:13 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
If all the advertised characteristics prove real with no detrimental issues creeping in, this may well be worth the money. The velocity versus distance feature alone would have added value. That it is insensitive to lighting and wind conditions has value (big value, IMO).

Not having to worry about light would be huge for me. Same goes for wind.
Originally Posted By swingset
No one wants to eat right and exercise, and lower their stress levels, all of which will come in a lot more handy than a home defense carbine and chest rig

ANIMUS
Rude pricks need a serious traumatic life experie
Eric802
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 10:34:19 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Trollslayer:
What I like is the velocity as the projectile goes down range. You get muzzle velocity and velocity at all the other distances, too. It is akin to having multiple chronographs at various distances downrange.

Seems like that would make BC calculations real easy, wouldn't it?
RIP, Jeff.
Gamma762
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 10:57:44 AM EST
I checked it out at SHOT, they looked really cool, and the velocity at various ranges looked extremely useful.

I asked about what kind of range was typical, they said rifle bullets generally out to at least 100 yards, and larger pistol bullets out to sometimes 175 or so.

I don't think they're on Ka band with the traffic radars, they'd need a specific type approval for those frequencies. But it's possible. My guess would be the nearby 24GHz ISM band, which is a worldwide ISM allocation.
This is...a clue - Pat_Rogers
I'm not adequately aluminumized for this thread. - gonzo_beyondo
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
scorps
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:08:40 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/24/2014 11:17:04 AM EST by scorps]
IIRC, Ka could track the screws that hold your eyeglasses together. On the other hand - due to the frequency - moisture in the air could limit it's capabilities.

The ad says 100 yards - which could be a product of safety, transmitter output power, or just the .gov. I am sure that receiver sensitivity nor processing power would be an issue.

edit to add:
Moisture meaning fog etc.
Radar operates on the same principles as laser, just at a different wavelength. A flashlight can't see through fog or smoke, but ULF works through the Earth
MTNmyMag
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:13:45 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Gamma762:
I checked it out at SHOT, they looked really cool, and the velocity at various ranges looked extremely useful.

I asked about what kind of range was typical, they said rifle bullets generally out to at least 100 yards, and larger pistol bullets out to sometimes 175 or so.

I don't think they're on Ka band with the traffic radars, they'd need a specific type approval for those frequencies. But it's possible. My guess would be the nearby 24GHz ISM band, which is a worldwide ISM allocation.

Any reason you couldn't set it out at 800 yards and shoot past it?
Gamma762
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:17:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/24/2014 11:17:48 AM EST by Gamma762]
Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Don't see why not. Set it behind a suitable barrier for protection. Just add whatever "tare" range to the indicated ranges.
This is...a clue - Pat_Rogers
I'm not adequately aluminumized for this thread. - gonzo_beyondo
CO, FL, MI, SC, NH - Please lobby your legislators to end discrimination against non-resident CCW permit holders
MTNmyMag
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:24:09 AM EST
[Jump To Reply]Originally Posted By Gamma762:

Don't see why not. Set it behind a suitable barrier for protection. Just add whatever "tare" range to the indicated ranges.

If this had been out I wouldn't have bought the Magneto if does work properly. This will allow perfect BC modeling of your bullet with your load in your rifle.
Eric802
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 11:45:51 AM EST

If this had been out I wouldn't have bought the Magneto if does work properly. This will allow perfect BC modeling of your bullet with your load in your rifle.

Magneto is still a step up from a regular chrony. I wouldn't feel underequipped with one.
RIP, Jeff.
MTNmyMag
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 12:04:22 PM EST
Oh I am still happy with it, but the ability to get speed at distance is something I consider really important. I can still figure it out by comparing actual bullet drop versus calculated.
usmc0331tamu00
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/24/2014 12:08:39 PM EST
tag for interest
"Rome's glory by way of the Greeks came,
America's by cutting the English cord,
But Texas was sired by Fighters,
And a nation was born of the Sword"

Anonymous 1836
  Previous Page
Page:  / 2