Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 5/8/2013 11:13:05 AM
Since subsonic ammo is a bit pricey I was wondering how difficult it is to create your own. I do know a person who has been reloading for a very long time and is pretty knowledgeable about the art. However, subsonic ammo isn't something he has done before since he has no suppressors. I would like to have some to shoot through mine though for plinking purposes. How would I go about making such ammo? Does anyone have a recipes or has anyone else had success attempting this?
sdeshazo
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/8/2013 11:28:24 AM
[Last Edit: 5/8/2013 12:00:36 PM by sdeshazo]
I've got a can comming in the next month or so & was looking to do the same thing. Here is a site I was checking out - http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Note - a subsonic 223/556 is basically a 22LR. Dont expect it to cycle your bolt.

Here is what I was going to reload once I find some trail boss.

Cartridge: 223 Remington
Load Type: Rifle
Starting Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maximum Loads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

55 GR. HDY FMJ IMR Trail Boss .224" 2.200" 4.0 1074
AeroE
I Was Free Born
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/8/2013 5:56:33 PM
Yes, it's possible and there are many loads available. It requires extra attention to the powder charge to prevent double or triple charging.

Guns are pretty hard to blow up. They are easy to blow up with overcharges of fast powder. "Blow up" means catastrophic disassembly and possibly injury to the shooter.

It is not easy to explain Liberty to those that are not familiar with Liberty. Kevin Jamison, on explaining firearm regulation to a Massachusetts lawyer. Jeff City, Mo 18 Apr 13.
S_D_
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:42:53 PM
look in the older pages, this topic is listed...

people using clays, titegroup, and i think trail boss
FB41
Disappointed American
NRA
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:45:26 PM
Originally Posted By sdeshazo:
I've got a can comming in the next month or so & was looking to do the same thing. Here is a site I was checking out - http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Note - a subsonic 223/556 is basically a 22LR. Dont expect it to cycle your bolt.

Here is what I was going to reload once I find some trail boss.

Cartridge: 223 Remington
Load Type: Rifle
Starting Loads

Maximum Loads

Bullet Weight (Gr.) Manufacturer Powder Bullet Diam. C.O.L. Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure Grs. Vel. (ft/s) Pressure

55 GR. HDY FMJ IMR Trail Boss .224" 2.200" 4.0 1074

I use this very load. It works well, hard to double charge the case due to the loft of the powder kernels in Trail Boss, but it is very dirty. Accuracy drops off sharply- out of MY gun- after about 50'.
The leeches of the Nation have once again proven they far outnumber the people that provide for their hand-outs.

USMC 1977-1987
buckmaster57
Link To This Post
Posted: 5/8/2013 7:54:03 PM
I use 3.2 grains of winchester 231 pistol powder and 55 grain bullet. col 2.200 and not sure if subsonic but pretty quit and it will drop squirrels out of the trees out to about 50 yards if they will hold still long enough. The same load with Hodgen titgroup powder works real well also. These loads won't cycle the bolt but oh well they are fun.