Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

A valid email is required.
Password is required.
Site Notices
3/20/2017 5:03:23 PM
Posted: 3/21/2013 7:10:50 PM EDT
i have a new RC IV and i hate the new primer catch cup that is on it and i want to know if the
old style horseshoe cup will fit it? the new Y cup is a major pain in my ass to remove and
sometimes when im trying to pull it out to dump it will jerk up and throw primers all over.

Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:05:06 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:09:38 PM EDT
sorry, just to lazy to take a pic of my Y cup and dont have the other one to take a pic of.
thanks
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:40:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/21/2013 8:41:27 PM EDT by MPD444]

You could just build a better one out of kydex like I did.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:41:42 PM EDT
I agree, the Y primer catch is a royal pain in my ass. Always pops off hard enough to throw primers all over the floor. Guess I could just use my shop-vac to clean the damn thing out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 8:52:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:05:28 PM EDT
MPD444 can you post some nice close up pictures or email them to me?
and what is kydex? some sort of hard plastic?
Link Posted: 3/21/2013 9:27:50 PM EDT

Kydex is a hard plastic that is moldable when heated, and keeps shape when cool. Its commonly used in holsters and knife sheaths. You can get it here
http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=41&osCsid=r624h8cemjuclfiuco0a8q51k7
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 3:46:49 AM EDT
those photos are awesome, thanks!
what thickness kydex did you go with?

and can anyone answer my original question please?
can the old style horseshoe cup fit a new Rock Chucker Supreme press?

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 6:35:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 7:56:16 AM EDT
I have the newer style "Y" primer catcher on my Rock Chucker. I slid a piece of styrofoam behind it like you did with wood, no issues. Occasionally a primer will pop out of the priming arm hole, but I don't have any issues taking it off and spilling primers everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 9:54:11 AM EDT
i just still want to know if the old cups work or not cause they just sit there and are easy to remove.

i might have to grind the little nubs off my Y catcher as they are whats hanging up when i try to pull it out to empty.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:17:00 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Northerner:
i just still want to know if the old cups work or not cause they just sit there and are easy to remove.

i might have to grind the little nubs off my Y catcher as they are whats hanging up when i try to pull it out to empty.

Don't grind them off, just sand them down a hair at a time until they are snug yet easy to remove
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:17:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By John87:
I have the newer style "Y" primer catcher on my Rock Chucker. I slid a piece of styrofoam behind it like you did with wood, no issues. Occasionally a primer will pop out of the priming arm hole,.....

I did this too, and worked better than stock.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but I got these for dedicated decapping:
Lee Reloader Single Stage Press and Lee Universal Depriming and Decapping Die.
I also got the Lee Breech Lock Hand Press. The thighmaster may also come in handy as a portable press.

A bonus is that the Rock Chucker is much cleaner
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:41:08 AM EDT
i do like that lee single stage press and its pretty cheap, something to think about. but i wonder where the primers go? do they funnel out the other side?

i know im new to reloading but i dont understand how a universal depriming die works? it must just taper in and holds the outside of case and a rod
goes down through and pops the primer? unlike my sizing/depriming die that pops the primer and sizes the case.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:47:53 AM EDT
i do like that lee single stage press and its pretty cheap, something to think about. but i wonder where the primers go? do they funnel out the other side?

They catch in the base of the press, then dump them after a 100 or so....

i know im new to reloading but i dont understand how a universal depriming die works? it must just taper in and holds the outside of case and a rod
goes down through and pops the primer? unlike my sizing/depriming die that pops the primer and sizes the case.

A rod just pops out the primers. They are not supposed to break (but I have had some stubborn crimps).

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 10:57:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By scorps:

i see that little hole where the primer would drop down the ram and into that hole.
is there a little tray sitting in that base or do you have to dig out the primers?

Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:07:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By scorps:

i see that little hole where the primer would drop down the ram and into that hole.
is there a little tray sitting in that base or do you have to dig out the primers?

I use 2/3 nuts and bolts to secure the press to a small piece of plywood, and undo them to lift off and empty. Plywood is clamped to my bench. Not much pressure involved
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:14:12 AM EDT
so that press has a little cavity inside and it needs to be dumped out? thats a PITA
Link Posted: 3/25/2013 7:58:34 PM EDT

still wanting to know if anytone has tried an old catcher with the new press, would really like to see a picture before i call into rcbs and wait to talk with someone.
or get some plastic ordered to make my own.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 1:47:58 PM EDT

i talked with a lady at rcbs tech to see if i can put the old horseshoe catcher on a new press that take the Y catcher and she said it wouldnt work, so that really sucks!
this new catcher has to be the dumbest design EVER!!! (tech lady even said it sucked) so i bought some kydex sheets and will cut them up, glue and bend them into some type of primer catcher and hopefully it will work good.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 2:48:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/2/2013 2:50:44 PM EDT by Rosebudteg]
DEFCAD has a new design that can be 3D printed.

http://defcad.org/rock-chucker-deprimer-tray-replacement/

And I completely agree with you. The primer catch tray on the supreme is terrible.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 3:57:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Rosebudteg:
DEFCAD has a new design that can be 3D printed.

http://defcad.org/rock-chucker-deprimer-tray-replacement/

And I completely agree with you. The primer catch tray on the supreme is terrible.

thats a pretty cool design and would be fun to try out cept i dont have a 3D printer.

Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:00:30 PM EDT
I stick a shop vac in my Y-cup. Cleans it right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2013 6:50:34 PM EDT
IM sent but I don't see it in my sent messages.
Link Posted: 5/3/2013 5:08:26 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jetpig:
IM sent but I don't see it in my sent messages.

in order for a sent message to be saved in your sent message box you need to check the box right above the submit button.
Top Top