Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:03:30 AM EDT
Hello,
The buying craze has hit here wide open! I went to the LGS here in KY, I was running low on small pistol primers. I thought I had a couple thousand but they were SPM. That being said the shops did not have any win or fed primers at all. But one had some Rem primers on the shelf. I have never used a Rem primer, are the good, consistant. Will I have to adjust my load? Please advise because the horders will snatch them up too.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
They are a softer primer that typically recommended against if using a progressive press...
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#2]
From what I can recall reading. Remington SPP are usually on the softer side. If you are using low to mid range data, I would say you are pretty safe to use Remington in place of what you are using now. If you are near max, I would probably work up again. Being a little softer you may notice cratering or pierced primers in hotter loads.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 5:06:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Remington primers are my second choice (to Federal, of course).

They've worked well for me and run in the race gunz.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 9:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Rem primers have been mostly GTG for me, that's all that was available for me locally during the 2008/09 panic, I'm still working on using them all up.  SP and LP have worked 100%, the LR primers don't seem to fit well into other brands of brass besides Remington, I may have just gotten a bad batch of primers though.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 12:32:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I just scored a bunch of Federal GMM SP primers from Graf's but if they would have had Remington I would have grabbed them first.  The only primers I am aware of any company recommending against are Federal by Lee.  Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, Redding, etc. have no problem with any of them.

Wear safety glasses while priming and get to loading
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They are a softer primer that typically recommended against if using a progressive press...

Got that backwards bucky.  Federal primers are the soft ones and not
recommended in progressive presses such as the Dillons while Remington
primers
are premium quality.  I've used thousands of their 7½ (BR) with TAC in my 68grn AR loads
and they are great.

Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:31:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Got that backwards bucky.  Federal primers are the soft ones and not recommended in progressive presses such as the Dillons while Remington primers are premium quality.  I've used thousands of their 7½ (BR) with TAC in my 68grn AR loads and they are great.

I have heard the same but it isn't actually in any manual except for the Lee.  Also, Brian Enos (and Dillon) seem to think they are fine if you read this thread and the one linked within.

I believe it is more important that you don't force primers (in the case of crimped 9mm/45 brass) when priming more so than avoid them all-together.  

I also say this after having just ordered a few thousand of them so let that be known in advance  I also load on a 550B so am less concerned about a detonation than someone that uses an XL650 since the primer is far, far away from the stack when seating it in the case.
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I prefer Remington if I can get them
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Just finished loading some .40s&w with remington primers, first time I have used them.  There about .004 thicker than the federal primers I am use to.  Seems like I had alot of high primers had to reseat most of them never had to do that with federal am i missing something or have others had this problem. I am using a dillion square deal
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#12]
I've used thousands of Remington, and Federal in my SDB. Never had any problems. When I run out of small pistol, I substitute with magnum primers for 9mm. No difference between Remington small pistol, and magnum primers except cup thickness. But Federal small pistol, and magnum; I have to adjust about .01 grain powder, using Silhouette.

GlockMonk
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hello,
The buying craze has hit here wide open! I went to the LGS here in KY, I was running low on small pistol primers. I thought I had a couple thousand but they were SPM. That being said the shops did not have any win or fed primers at all. But one had some Rem primers on the shelf. I have never used a Rem primer, are the good, consistant. Will I have to adjust my load? Please advise because the horders will snatch them up too.

Rem makes Two SPP.  The 1 1/2 and the 5 1/2.  The 1 1/2 has a thinner cup than the 5 1/2.  The 1 1/2 is for low pressure loads while the 5 1/2 is for high pressure loads like the 9mm, 40 S&W and 357 Sig.  

The 5 1/2 will work and work well for all SPP ammo while the 1 1/2 is limited to low pressure rounds.

You did fine with the Rem SPPM (5 1/2) primers.  GTG
Link Posted: 12/27/2012 8:23:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top