Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 71 of 77)
Page / 77
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Is there any actual utility to them for defense, home defense or even offense?  Like would the military ever use such a creature for any operations.... a 125gr bullet pushing <300ft.lbs?

Seems like it's a true cowboy load for 10-20' max range.
View Quote

Not afaik.

Like I said theyre just a budget thing that reloaders do. More trigger pulls for less dollars.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 5:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Is there any actual utility to them for defense, home defense or even offense?  Like would the military ever use such a creature for any operations.... a 125gr bullet pushing <300ft.lbs?

Seems like it's a true cowboy load for 10-20' max range.
View Quote

Im gonna say no. If they were ever to use such an animal, it would be training only.  

And, if they were to use it in a training situation,  it would be cheaper and easier to just use 9mm.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By 1iviper:
sierra shows data for subs down to 110gr with imr4198

125gr with imr 4198 or h4198 , starting at 135gr rl7 is also listed

this is listed for a 16" barrel with a 1:8 twist

sierra
View Quote

Thanks for posting this.  From what I see, CFE BLK works good for heavier rounds, and H110 looks like a good go to for the lighter rounds.  Good to know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2021 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Does anyone have any load data for 215gn FP from Hoosier's bullets?
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 9:50:06 AM EDT
[#5]
If this has been answered already please forgive me since this thread is so long.  How many times can we expect to be able to reload a 300 blackout case?  I would think more than .223/5.56 since the necking isn't as pronounced.  I'm trying to plan my stash accordingly.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I have no idea how many loads a 300 Blackout case is good for.  It would depend on a lot of factors.

First, is it a factory case, or a converted case?  If it’s converted, how was that done - just ram it into a Dillon size/trim die, or chop, anneal, then form?  And how many cycles had that parent .223 case seen before being converted?

I have a small box of “convert these to Blackout” cases.  They have mouth or shoulder issues that make them iffy for loading as .223, but the body and head of the case is sound.  Converted cases from this sort of brass would also be iffy…

So to me, if it’s a commercial, factory 300 Blackout case, I’d expect at least as many loadings as a commercial, factory .223 Remington case.  Note that I didn’t say a 5.56 case - the SAAMI spec for Blackout chamber pressure is the same as for .223 REM: 55,000 PSI (piezo).

If it’s a converted case, I’ll load it until it fails in some way, whether that’s a mouth split, needing annealing because of low neck tension, or whatever.  I don’t want to put much extra effort into a much-used case just to get one more loading, when it only takes a little more effort to “make” another case from a once-fired .223 case.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By optoisolator:
If this has been answered already please forgive me since this thread is so long.  How many times can we expect to be able to reload a 300 blackout case?  I would think more than .223/5.56 since the necking isn't as pronounced.  I'm trying to plan my stash accordingly.

Thanks
View Quote

The subsonic loads are usually well below maximum chamber pressure.

The supersonic loads can push the pressure limit, but for its size, the case is extremely strong compared to many other rifle cases.

Necks may crack before case stretch becomes excessive, but keep an eye out for both and for expanded or loose primer pockets.

I would think subsonic loads would be fairly easy on the cases and usually, the cases even handle maximum pressure really well.

A friend experimented with overpressure loads in a bolt action to find out how pressure the cases could take and they exceeded every other type of non-belted rifle cases he tested.

He likes to test things to failure to see what they can take.

Well maybe not complete failure, but up to severe overpressure signs.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Need some help here boys.  I finally have everything I need to get reloading 300 AAC rounds (save for some media for my tumbler), however, I've forgotten how to adjust and in what order to use this stuff.  It's been like 12 years since I last reloaded anything other than 12ga.  Would greatly appreciate some assistance with which dies I want to use and in what order.....

Only things I didn't show is the NOE piece I ordered that I think gets used with the LEE Expanding die.  

I have about 100 cases cut and chamfered...just need to know where to go from here.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 9:20:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Need some help here boys.  I finally have everything I need to get reloading 300 AAC rounds (save for some media for my tumbler), however, I've forgotten how to adjust and in what order to use this stuff.  It's been like 12 years since I last reloaded anything other than 12ga.  Would greatly appreciate some assistance with which dies I want to use and in what order.....

https://i.imgur.com/YMFrBTM.jpg

Only things I didn't show is the NOE piece I ordered that I think gets used with the LEE Expanding die.  

I have about 100 cases cut and chamfered...just need to know where to go from here.

Thanks!!
View Quote

Probably better off starting a new thread for that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:28:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
First couple of pages in this thread cover it all.

Then the endless repeat cycle started. Just the way it is with folks just starting out.

They never read the thread before they had that caliber.
View Quote

With the thread being 9 years old, I assume some of the info is obsolete, since people have figured out better ways to do things, new powders have been introduced, etc. It’s pretty hard to sort out, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:14:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm looking to reload some nosler 220 grain pulls.  The Nosler data doesn't have CFE BLK powder listed, but they do list a COAL of 2.025.  Sierra has 220 grain HPBT listed, and do also have CFE BLK listed.  They list a COAL of 2.230 though.  That's a huge difference!!!

Should I go with the Sierra data since the weight is the same, and work up from there??
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Lyman lists 2.250 and Hornady lists 2.260.  I think that Nosler's data must be wrong!
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh I did - I went with Sierra's data using 2.230, and started at 11.2gr and went up to 12gr using .2 gr increments.  These are my first 300 blackout loads - so we'll see how they go.
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Photos of my brass from last Sunday.  Is this normal???  I have an Aero Precision 10.5" upper, and a an Aero carbine lower.  Do I need to up the buffer?  These were 220gr subsonic loads around 1000 ft/st or so.

Link Posted: 11/17/2021 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Completely normal.

The expander mandrel on your resizing die will straighten that right out.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 4:13:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Photos of my brass from last Sunday.  Is this normal???  I have an Aero Precision 10.5" upper, and a an Aero carbine lower.  Do I need to up the buffer?  These were 220gr subsonic loads around 1000 ft/st or so.

https://i.imgur.com/0yw8xyR.jpg?1

https://i.imgur.com/pPacR5C.jpg?1
View Quote

My brass looks exactly like that as well.

What exactly is causing that?
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Blstr89:

My brass looks exactly like that as well.

What exactly is causing that?
View Quote

Brass deflector
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 5:47:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mikego_34:

Brass deflector
View Quote

Exactly.  That’s pretty much where the shoulder on a a 5.56 would start…. And again, it’s a non-issue.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 7:40:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: optoisolator] [#22]
I know I'm asking a lot of questions - and thanks for your patience.  I am wondering - regarding 220 gr projectiles - I see that Sierra lists loads that are not subsonic for these.  Would there really be any good reason to not load 220gr subsonic?  I am thinking not - since there are quite a few projectiles less than 220 that work good for sonic use.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 9:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#23]
I shot a bunch of 220 subs

They work fine. Won’t expand.

I’m in the process of using up what I have left of loaded 200 and 220 subsonic.

The smart money is on inexpensive 150-grain FMJ for any 300 BO  subsonic application that does not require an expanding bullet.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 11:46:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By W_E_G:

The smart money is on inexpensive 150-grain FMJ for any 300 BO  subsonic application that does not require an expanding bullet.
View Quote

Sierra data only shows 4 powders that will work for that. I am presently using CFE BLK....but that's a good idea once I use up some of my powder.  What powder do you plan on using for them?
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#26]

Sierra data only shows 4 powders that will work for that. I am presently using CFE BLK....but that's a good idea once I use up some of my powder.  What powder do you plan on using for them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Chronograph numbers above from 8.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Cool beans! Where did that screenshot come from??
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Cool beans! Where did that screenshot come from??
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#30]
After playing with all of those, I came to the conclusion that 150's and CFE-BLK made the most sense for general range ammo and for putting holes in things that didn't need expansion.

I've got some fancy 190-ish grain Lehigh expanding bullets I still need to play with. Probably 12.8 grains CFE-BLK.

CFE-BLK may not be the quietest subsonic powder. But I don't really care.
I like it because it gives decent case-fill with subs. Better case-fill may give better consistency for velocity in 300 BLK.

Somebody will probably be along presently to remind us that L'il Gun is the quietest.
OK. I don't care.

I do know that if you drop velocity WELL BELOW subsonic - I'm talking about below 900 FPS - things get REAL QUIET.
With pretty much any powder that will let you get by with loading that slow.
That slow in an AR will not cycle.
So you might as well just use a full case of Trail Boss, and figure out how you are going to work the bolt.
No first-round "pop" sound with a full case of Trail Boss either.
Just don't shoot anything that might get mad.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Will these cycle an ar?  I assume yes but one can never know unless asked.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 4:58:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#33]
After playing with all of those, I came to the conclusion that 150's and CFE-BLK made the most sense for general range ammo and for putting holes in things that didn't need expansion.

I've got some fancy 190-ish grain Lehigh expanding bullets I still need to play with. Probably 12.8 grains CFE-BLK.

CFE-BLK may not be the quietest subsonic powder. But I don't really care.
I like it because it gives decent case-fill with subs. Better case-fill may give better consistency for velocity in 300 BLK.

Somebody will probably be along presently to remind us that L'il Gun is the quietest.
OK. I don't care.

I do know that if you drop velocity WELL BELOW subsonic - I'm talking about below 900 FPS - things get REAL QUIET.
With pretty much any powder that will let you get by with loading that slow.
That slow in an AR will not cycle.
So you might as well just use a full case of Trail Boss, and figure out how you are going to work the bolt.
No first-round "pop" sound with a full case of Trail Boss either.
Just don't shoot anything that might get mad.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105614/trail_boss_z_jpg-2178363.JPG
View Quote

Gordon's shows the 150gr load with the CFE BLK slightly above what you show - about 100ft/s higher  Interesting to see the difference between the tools.  Damn useful that's for sure!
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:08:51 PM EDT
[#34]
My chronograph said what it said. I'll go with that.

As for the Quickload numbers, they are only in the ballpark for this sort of load.

Once you start running powders at pressures well-below the high end of the powder's intended working range, Quickload predictions can be misaligned from actual chronograph numbers by 10-15%. At least that's been my experience.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:11:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By LuxorDeathbed:
View Quote

13.3 grains CFE-BLK with a 150FMJ cycles it great with an 8.5" barrel.
Upper is an off-the-shelf Palmetto upper.

Trail Boss won't cycle anything.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 12:10:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mikego_34] [#36]

View Quote

Wonder if you could get a 150 gr M80 round to be subsonic with IMR 4227 and still cycle an AR

Is this load with CFE BLK accurate for you?
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#37]

Wonder if you could get a 150 gr M80 round to be subsonic with IMR 4227 and still cycle an AR

View Quote

You should try it and let us know.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:03:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: garyd] [#38]
I know I'm asking a lot of questions - and thanks for your patience.  I am wondering - regarding 220 gr projectiles - I see that Sierra lists loads that are not subsonic for these.  Would there really be any good reason to not load 220gr subsonic?  I am thinking not - since there are quite a few projectiles less than 220 that work good for sonic use.
View Quote

Loading the heavier bullets subsonic is pretty much standard practice.  Having said that, I have crunched the numbers several years ago.  And with a properly expanding bullet.  You could make loads that are on par with 44 magnum.  If one so chose to.  I have done so with a 180gr specialty made bullet that was pushing 1475fps out of a 16 inch AR.  My daughter took a nice doe with that load and the damage was quite impressive.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 9:06:15 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LuxorDeathbed:

Since we're on the subject, I have an 8.5” PSA Ar I want to give another go at. Tried last year with some cast bullets and N110 and it grouped like a shotgun. Put it aside but getting interested again. Anyone recommend a bullet that will cycle it with N110 and stay subsonic? It will be unsupressed for now, but as soon as NFA gets off their ass I’ll have an Obsidian45 for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 10:09:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: W_E_G] [#40]

View Quote

I haven’t closely tested accuracy.

I recall it stays easily on a sheet of office paper at 50 yards when shooting off the top of an ammo can for a “benchrest.”

The main "working" load I use for this gun is supersonic with 18.5 grains H-110 and Lehigh 115 bullet. That load hammers at 100 and 200.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 1:28:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HBIII] [#41]
I'm having a bit of an issue converting my 5.56 brass to 300 BLK.

Specifically, when I size the cut and deburred brass it still doesn't pass in either of my gages (seems like the shoulder isn't fully formed). But if I run it through the sizing die twice in a row then I get a perfectly formed piece of brass. Is there something I am missing here?

Tools being used:

Dillon 550B
Dillon Carbide rifle die for 300BLK
LC brass
Lyman chamber gage and LE Wilson Case gage
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 4:14:37 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 5:25:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Has anyone loaded Speed 170gr soft nose flat point hot-cor for 300blk? Will most 170gr data work? Mostly wondering the best OAL.

https://www.precisionreloading.com/cart.php#
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:35:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:

You should try it and let us know.
View Quote

I use 147G M80 bullets for sub loads and super loads.  I can get the from 900 fps to 2k fps.  They are cheap.  I priced some Berrys 220 bullets and almost cursed out loud!
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:40:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By chucku:

I use 147G M80 bullets for sub loads and super loads.  I can get the from 900 fps to 2k fps.  They are cheap.  I priced some Berrys 220 bullets and almost cursed out loud!
View Quote

What barrel length for 2k FPS with 147’s?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mikego_34] [#49]
Originally Posted By chucku:

View Quote

Whats are the load details on your subsonic 147s?

And how’s the accuracy?
Link Posted: 11/27/2021 10:08:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chucku] [#50]
The loads are 17.2 g of H110.  2K fps.  I think these were shot thru my handi rifle, so 16'' barrel.
10.8 g CFE BLK sub load 2.050 oal. Im not sure of the FPS on these as I didnt write it down on the case.
Accuracy is acceptable.  I dont shoot groups specifically.  Mostly sight in and then I shoot steel at 100 yds.  All my loads ring 3'' steel no matter what load or gun I use. All the way down to my 7'' AR. Ill shoot some tomorrow and confirm.  I want to try another powder for the sub load.  All I had at the time (last year) was CFE BLK for subs.  I have several more powders now.  Whats a good sub powder for 147s?
Page / 77
300 Blackout Master Thread (Page 71 of 77)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top