Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/3/2012 4:11:32 PM EDT
gone
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 10:42:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Guys with the new model, how do they work?

Like Crap.  5 gal bucket under the press catches 30% of what falls out of the press, not in the catch tray.  I also have a rug I keep under the press that catches spent primers well and releases them to the vacuum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#3]
gone
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:22:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#5]
gone
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:06:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like Crap.  5 gal bucket under the press catches 30% of what falls out of the press, not in the catch tray.  I also have a rug I keep under the press that catches spent primers well and releases them to the vacuum.

I will second this. The Supreme primer tray looks nothing like this:

On the Supreme, the primer is forced inside the ram, which is hollow with a ramp. The ramp kicks back towards the "closed" end of the press frame, where the primer tray snaps in place. It looks like an inverted "Y", the ramp inside the hollow ram is supposed to throw the primers into the top of the inverted Y, where they will fall down either the left or right "leg" into a spent primer tray. Problem is that half the time, the primer will miss the opening at the top of the Y and they'll go all over the place

ETA- Here you go, this might help a little

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I will second this. The Supreme primer tray looks nothing like this:
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC270332.jpg

On the Supreme, the primer is forced inside the ram, which is hollow with a ramp. The ramp kicks back towards the "closed" end of the press frame, where the primer tray snaps in place. It looks like an inverted "Y", the ramp inside the hollow ram is supposed to throw the primers into the top of the inverted Y, where they will fall down either the left or right "leg" into a spent primer tray. Problem is that half the time, the primer will miss the opening at the top of the Y and they'll go all over the place

ETA- Here you go, this might help a little

http://www.huntingtons.com/images/rcbs_rc-supreme_800.jpg

Or they hit just right and fall out the slot in the front of the ram where the priming mechanism goes to insert a new primer. Or if you don't keep a constant eye on it the primer tray "tips" backwards leaving a gap between the ram and the "catch slot" of the inverted Y and they slip out of that gap. From my experience 90%+ of primers make it into the catch tray if you don't let the tray tip backwards away from the ram.
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#8]
gone
Link Posted: 12/4/2012 2:58:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Use a bic pen as a spacer to push the catcher up against the ram.  I've got about 100% catch rate with the newer one.

Link Posted: 12/4/2012 3:41:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 8:16:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the no longer made for a long time Case Kicker, my primers are out of control, I have to use a big tub to catch them

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 10:52:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the no longer made for a long time Case Kicker, my primers are out of control, I have to use a big tub to catch them

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/reload/Part2/TutorialPart2_10.jpg

My RCII is set up a lot like yours. I have put the straw in the groove. While this don't make it perfect it is far from being "out of control". The biggest problem I have is with the ones that slip by the deflector and get under it. Then with the next up stroke raises the deflector. When all is well they slide down the ramp to the right into a 5gal bucket.
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#13]
gone
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 11:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Did you peek at the video at the beginning of the thread?  Seems to me you could mold the epoxy around the kicker and not effect its operation.  If you hand prime or bench prime you could replace the priming pivot with the ramp I demoed and add a reservoir and tube at the bottom.  Replace the short pin that holds the pivot in with a long bolt and nut, and use that as a means to both hold the ramp and anchor a small reservoir to.  All you need is something small a tiny funnel would work.   I'd love to have a kicker to play with....may have to make one.

How does the "kicker" part work?

I just cruised over to Ebay and wrote "small funnel."  This came up for 99 cents.  Solder a strap and bolt the strap to where the pin goes through and you have it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2-Brand-New-Stainless-Steel-Funnel-Big-and-Small-Funnel-Suitable-for-Hip-Flask-/00/s/NTkyWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqF,!k0E+zqzzGO5BQTVzC,LGg~~60_3.JPG

I'll try the epoxy during my next vacation break.

The Case Kicker is basically big ol' flat spring that drags along the right side of the ram duing the up and down stroke, you lower the ram a bit and insert a case into the shell holder with the left hand, then with the right hand operate the handle.  At full up stroke the edge of the flat spring will push the case out of the shellholder, down the little ramp, into the green bin.

Makes using it fast, just have to keep the left hand full of brass ready to feed, no wasted motion removing the case

Video of it, not mine, on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hM48YoWUrhE

Link Posted: 12/5/2012 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]
gone
Link Posted: 12/5/2012 1:52:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
That was a great video!  Maybe someday I'll figure out how to make a good one.

Sure does look like a doable project....too bad RCBS doesn't make it anymore.  Thanks for the video. (You could always video your setup and add it to this thread if the mod works for you....that would be impressive.  Speaking of Mods, I'm hoping Dryflash will toggle this so we can put it into the RCBS post in the "Read First" (Gateway).  It's getting better all the time.  Now to look for flat spring material.

It would be nice if Supreme users who figure out an excellent fix for their spent primer problems, would add here too. Then I could had "Supreme" to the title and the forum could have a quick place to look for RCBS improvements, fixes and mods.  Maybe eventually we could have a Green section in the "Resources."

This topic came up last year, someone made his own http://archery.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=352196

Some youtoob vids of some home made ones too

Found another one, very simplistic http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?163254-still-looking-for-a-rcbs-case-kicker

Link Posted: 10/6/2013 9:57:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

For sure.  My family insists on keeping a couple of cat litter boxes in my reloading room.  That's for the convenience of the indoor cat.  The family fortunately keeps the litter boxes cleaned out and the cat is amusing.  I park one of the litter boxes under the Rock Chucker when I am decapping.  It catches 90% of the spent primers that the green plastic thingy misses.  The cat seems to think that the spent primers are just a peculiar kind of cat litter and craps on them just the same.  There is balance in nature.  

BTW, does anybody know where I can get one of those crossbar thingies that holds the spent primer catcher in place?  Mine disappeared years ago.  I am holding it on now with S hooks and a rubber band around the back.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:34:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Been using a rock chucker since 78, maybe earlier.

Been using the floor to catch most of the primers and this to pick them up since I got that rock chucker

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Epidote, you mean you haven't "engineered" something for that yet. You may need to check into that.
I am kidding, but...really!
I guess when you own a Pro100 like me, you have to come up with something just to keep it running!

Dryflash, you may want to empty that primer tray every now and then. I don't ever let mine get that full, but then again, I don't have a problem with the catch tray losing primers until I try to dump it when it is too full.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Use a bic pen as a spacer to push the catcher up against the ram.  I've got about 100% catch rate with the newer one.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

yep this is my method and it works like a charm.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:55:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll give this a try but my problem is that sometimes it throws the primers out the front rather than the back where the primer catcher is. Im not the most creative guy but im trying to come up with something where i can get all the primer caught and down a hose to a water bottle or something to not have to even remove the tray and have them all fall out LOL
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Sounds like me. I am always good for the obvious advice. You should hear my advice on petting rattlesnakes. Then again, maybe I should just shut up.

Seriously though, the suggestions look like good ones and I like the simplicity of the tape, but I have never had a problem losing primers from the tray on my RC. I must just be lucky. Stupid, but lucky.

Thanks for the advice.

That was done for the pic, and to show how well a simple piece of tape works.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:03:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds like me. I am always good for the obvious advice. You should hear my advice on petting rattlesnakes. Then again, maybe I should just shut up.

Seriously though, the suggestions look like good ones and I like the simplicity of the tape, but I have never had a problem losing primers from the tray on my RC. I must just be lucky. Stupid, but lucky.

Thanks for the advice.

That was done for the pic, and to show how well a simple piece of tape works.

I have the supreme and I doctored up a RCBS powder funnel and a aluminum tube to shoot the empties into a a glass along side the press, will get a pic for you guys. I didn't like having to empty the factory one on the press, wanted to run a few hundred without the hassle of emptying it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2013 10:34:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/AssaultRifler/reload/Part2/TutorialPart2_10.jpg

View Quote
I really don't mean to Hijack the thread but would you mind please explaining the case kicker?  I am intrigued

Link Posted: 10/7/2013 11:05:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/8/2013 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Here is what I put together for the supreme, hated the stock setup.

Link Posted: 10/8/2013 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/9/2013 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I had an RC Supreme- Supreme POS.

If Harbor Freight made a reloading press it would look like....

As to the question about the later presses, the Y shaped primer catcher does catch primers, occasionally. The primers it does catch get dumped on the floor when you try to remove it. Either it it falls apart when you remove it, or it pops off quickly, dumping primers in the process.

To be fair, It is exceeded in crappyness by The primer catcher on the RCBS 6 station turret press, So I can't say it is the worst.

Link Posted: 10/9/2013 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#31]
"Don't know why RCBS never figured out how much of an annoyance primers on the floor is."

Maybe because no one at RCBS ever stepped on a spent primer cup in their bare feet.
Link Posted: 10/10/2013 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Or have them imbed into the wheels of your chair, and scratch the floor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#33]
gone
Link Posted: 10/13/2013 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#34]

So I pushed the cup all the way forward and it wouldn't stay there so I put a used ear plug back there to keep it pushed close to the ram.

So how do I empty it you ask? Shop Vac
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:47:41 AM EDT
[#35]
gone
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 1:51:00 AM EDT
[#36]
"As for equating RCBS's tools with Harbor Freight Tools, that's like comparing a Chevy Impala with a Russian Zaporozhet."

The RC4 Supreme I once owned had deep cross-hatch scratches in the ram, looked like it was machined with a wood rasp. I guess I should have loaded the com-block stuff on it.

With regards to the primer catcher, I do think RCBS should fix that, even if it means supplying a foam earplug with glue/tape/etc.- and should not require a shop-vac to remove primers. And figure out a way to stop primers from hopping out of the front slot in the ram.

I sold the RC and went with a Redding press which puts every primer in a container without fail.

Link Posted: 10/14/2013 8:59:12 AM EDT
[#37]

I did something like this but with a piece of cardboard but i still have some primers come out the front and fall on the floor where i cant even see them. I havent really put my mind into it but i do want to make something similar to that plastic but of metal or something to cover both the back and front so there is no more primers flying everywhere! I just dont own a welder of any kind specially aluminum which is what i want to make it out off or copper which i can have my dad welded but i cant find pieces of copper anywhere, i can find tubing but not like 4"x4" straight pieces.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 12:53:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I did something like this but with a piece of cardboard but i still have some primers come out the front and fall on the floor where i cant even see them. I havent really put my mind into it but i do want to make something similar to that plastic but of metal or something to cover both the back and front so there is no more primers flying everywhere! I just dont own a welder of any kind specially aluminum which is what i want to make it out off or copper which i can have my dad welded but i cant find pieces of copper anywhere, i can find tubing but not like 4"x4" straight pieces.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I get the random ones out the front too. I think I am just going to jam another ear plug in there too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 2:42:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I get the random ones out the front too. I think I am just going to jam another ear plug in there too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohh damn i would have never thought of that!!! i'll try it for sure!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2013 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#40]
simple fix is to make a hollow ram
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Here is my solution for my RCII...catches 99%
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/AR15-SBR/20131009_223735_resized3_zps5751325a.jpg

Here is a close up of the spent prime "guide" that sits in the primer arm channel.
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t656/AR15-SBR/20131009_223859_resized3_zpsfe9210ea.jpg

AR15-SBR
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Eta,

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PA140256.jpg

I use a piece of masking tape.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC270332.jpg

Another view.

The new model Rockchucker has a different spent primer tray design.

View Quote

They suck too.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 7:19:59 AM EDT
[#43]
I just got a new RCBS Summit press to go with my Rock Chucker. The primer catcher is attached to the front of the machine,a ramp feeds the spent primers down into a cup that is attached to the front of the press. I've only loaded 50 rounds so far and it seems to work ok. But it is small and will need to be emptied a lot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2013 11:17:40 AM EDT
[#44]
gone
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 1:56:49 AM EDT
[#45]
GWis,        "Interesting design you made. Looks like it ought to work....I assume the black box below is your spent primer reservoir.....no tube to the floor or anything, right?"  

That is correct.  I made it out of a scrap of Kydex.  It is held in place by a couple of "detents" that I formed in the side of the "cup" that fit into the holes in the press that originaly housed the primer arm pin.   It holds "enough" spent primers...AKA when my arm gets tired of pulling the handle I empty the cup.

AR15-SBR
Link Posted: 10/16/2013 2:08:39 AM EDT
[#46]
I forgot to mention...To you guys that have the "round pan" primer tray.  I cut a piece of clear 2 liter soda bottle about 4 inches wide and 4 inches tall.  I pop riveted it to the front of my "pan type" tray.  This acted like a deflector for those spent primers that would come flying out of the ram slot every once in a while......it helped to bounce them back into the pan. (sorry no pics...gave it away when I made my new one.)

AR15-SBR
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#47]
More ear plug fixes.

At first I used a whole ear plug but it seemed to block off too much and prevented the primers from flowing out the back of the ram but it totally stopped the primers coming out the front.

So I cut it in half and it worked flawlessly!
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:15:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
More ear plug fixes.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/noharmnofal/6B4E5680-FDD9-460D-AC46-9FC1C29863EC-16788-00000A3A8FA1FCE5_zps9fcf007e.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i112/noharmnofal/B5FB885C-6D24-47E6-A4F0-D48D1C95EB5B-16788-00000A3A88A69AA7_zps223bc85f.jpg

At first I used a whole ear plug but it seemed to block off too much and prevented the primers from flowing out the back of the ram but it totally stopped the primers coming out the front.

So I cut it in half and it worked flawlessly!
View Quote

Ahhhh doing this when i get home today!!!
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:24:41 AM EDT
[#49]
This thread makes me want to try a small piece of spring steel behind the supreme to catch more of the primers.  I've noticed that the gap between that big oval and the piston is the problem, a piece of spring steel epoxied to the back might be just the ticket.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#50]
This thread makes me appreciate the primer control inherent in my 550B.  It's not perfect but it's good enough that this isn't an issue.

It seems the OP could get with a molding company and produce a much-needed product.  It would cost $ to make the mold(s) but there seems to be an existing market of RCBS owners,... heck, maybe RCBS, the company.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top