Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2012 12:25:38 AM EDT
I have a few hundred pieces of once fired LC brass with crimped primer pockets. As far as case life and strength, does it make a difference if pockets

are reamed or swaged? I'll be using this brass for some hotter loads, hope to get at least 3 reloads out of each case. My assumption is reaming removes

brass so therefore it weakens the case, maybe even loosening the pocket too much for hot loads. I just don't know and need some advice before purchasing

a tool. Reamers look cheaper than swagers but don't mind spending extra if swaging is better for the brass.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 2:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Swaging "IS" better and quicker, more uniform also.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 5:54:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I like swaging too. I fallow my swaging with a chamfer too. It takes the sharp edge off of the corner and gives the primer a tapered guide to get started into the pocket.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Swage, a few years back I bought some "processed" brass, they removed the primers and reamed the primer crimp and cleaned them.  I had 2-3 blown primers per every 100 rounds shot.  I swaged my own now using the Dillon super swager and haven't had any blown primers in over 4-5K reloads.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I prefer to swage.
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Can you use Dillon's super swage 600 to do pistol round?
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Swaging "IS" better and quicker, more uniform also.

and you never fuck up a primer pocket like reaming...

Link Posted: 11/1/2012 7:07:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the hornady reamers...and I have had zero problems.  Given a bit of inattentiveness  or relative stupidity anyone can screw up most anything to state of perfect destruction.

I understand the swageing tools can be finicky. Since I never have time to even do or finish what I want I sure as heck aint wanting to waste time with finicky tools.  The hornady reamers are simple, effective, and cheap.

good luck
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 8:25:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dillon makes a 45 ACP adapter, don't know about 9mm.

I have always reamed the few crimped 9mm cases I come across.

Every now and then I'll get a 9mm that has a crimped primer pocket.  I haven't had any problems using my SS 600 on them.  

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 2:06:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every now and then I'll get a 9mm that has a crimped primer pocket.  I haven't had any problems using my SS 600 on them.  

Run them through big Blacky , works great
Link Posted: 11/2/2012 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Run them through big Blacky , works great

Oh, I will eventually!  I gotta scrape some pennies together for another tool head and conversion kit.  Till then, I'll be loading 9mm on my 650!

Link Posted: 11/2/2012 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I use my ss600 for all my 9mm and 223 needs.  
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#15]
In my experience, swaging worked great in little cases like the 7.62x51.  In .50BMG, not so much.  In those, the swagers tended to distort some rims.  The best crimp remover for the full size cases was the Wilson, but you need a Wilson trimmer to mount it.  The design has an integral positive stop, and leaves a smooth radius on the pocket entrance.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been all over the place with this issue.  I am back to swaging with the Dillon 600.  If you swage carefully, you can provide yourself a primer pocket that is almost as good or maybe better than new brass as far as primer retention.  If you ream, the material is cut away and cannot be restored to like-factory-new brass.

Of course, commercial brass without the crimp ring is an entirely different situation.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#17]
After having a Swager and just trying reaming. I have switched to reaming. I'm ditching my RCBS swager.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Patrick Swagey
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 4:53:40 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm kind of bias owning a 1050. That only gets feed LC and WCC brass.  But I will say this. If the brass you use is all the same headstamp then it makes sense to swage. If on the other hand you use mixed headstamps then I would just ream them and be done with it.  Reason for this is.  Most if not all swagers index off of the web of the case. If one has webs that vary so will the swage and that can lead to two things.  One being cases that the crimp has not been remove enough and two the primer pocket is to enlarged resulting in lose primers. There has been more than one thread here were someone has destroyed their brass by over swaging it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 5:38:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Is reaming and pocket uniforming the same thing?
Link Posted: 11/4/2012 6:03:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
After having a Swager and just trying reaming. I have switched to reaming. I'm ditching my RCBS swager.

Thats what I ending up doing got rid of the Dillon and RCBS and stayed with the Hornady
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats what I ending up doing got rid of the Dillon and RCBS and stayed with the Hornady

Don't you have a 1050??
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't you have a 1050??

Yes but before that, I'd had the tried  Dillon , Rcbs and Hornady and kept the Hornady,
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 9:43:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't you have a 1050??

Yes but before that, I'd had the tried  Dillon , Rcbs and Hornady and kept the Hornady,
I probably would have done the same thing but my damn Lyme infested finger joints just didn't like handling and pressing of all those cases.  The SS600 was easier on my hands.  The 1050 easier yet!

Link Posted: 11/7/2012 2:40:11 AM EDT
[#26]
I too have a bunch of crimped pocket brass. A guy at my dad's has a RCBS swage die. I used it, it worked pretty good. Now just have to buy one so I can swage when I need to.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 3:01:54 AM EDT
[#27]
RCBS sewage die arrived yesterday, hope to try it this weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top