User Panel

Posted: 9/24/2012 1:45:10 PM EDT
what is the difference 223/5.56 sb and fl
i know one is small base and full length

which is better and why?

Link Posted: 9/24/2012 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
From RCBS.

The Small Base Sizer Die sizes the case from the shoulder to the head of the case a couple of thousandths smaller than a Full Length Sizer Die. In certain calibers it also sets the shoulder of the case back a thousandth or two more than the Full Length Sizer Die.

I load for several semi-autos and I have yet to find the need for a SB die.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:03:10 PM EDT
[#2]
so fl is good enough for ar15 5.56/223
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:36:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

it is for me all i use is fl dies the less i work my brass the better i think.

the only time you would want sb dies is if you have a tight chamber and are having problems with fail to chamber or fte

just my opinion
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 3:40:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

IMO, yes, as long as you set it up properly. Case gauge the FL sizing and the shoulder bump and you should be fine.  Especially it you have a 5.56 chamber.  
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
so no benefit of sb die?
Link Posted: 9/24/2012 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
so no benefit of sb die?

Actually they are less desirable by many as they over-size and weaken the brass prematurely.  Benefit, No, not in any of my semi-autos, just the opposite.

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 6:09:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree with the others. It's only a benefit if you need it. This gets debated pretty often but If your gun "runs" fine on fl sized brass why use sb? It's just over kill IMO.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 10:51:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the only time you would need a s.b. die is if you were using brass that has been fired in machine guns.The chambers of machine guns tend to be on the large size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top