Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2012 2:20:52 PM EDT
I loaded a few rounds as follows;
.45 ACP 230 grain Rainiers
7.0 grains Power Pistol
1.230 OAL

I loaded them to get close to the GI spec, 230 grain in the mid 800's FPS, but being a new reloader I didn't see that plated bullets were suppose to be loaded to lead recipes.

I worked up to this load from 6.8 grains and have shot about 50 through my Glock 21, since it seemed to be accurate. Recoil seemed little sharper than WWB, but at the time I shot WWB I was holding the gun wrong. Brass seemed fine, though I enjoy the muzzle flash a lot.

I just want to know if I loaded it too much. I don't want to damage my Glock, and I searched but keep getting conflicting answers.
I do have a chronograph I just don't have anywhere to use it, as the range where I'm at doesn't have where I could set it.

Any help please.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
how many did you load?

pull 'em down just to be safe
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 4:16:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Remember that when loading plated bullets use hard cast lead loading data. PP might be over kill for your purposes...
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 5:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I would shoot them as is...

My understanding on the use of lead data, velocity has to be taken into account... I would generally not push a plated bullet past 1,000 fps...

This load appears to be nowhere near that, and below the max shown for a 230 gr Speer Gold Dot or 230 TMJ by Alliants guide.... but use your own judgement...
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 6:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 8:41:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I loaded close to 75. I figured if I stayed close to the mid 800 or a bit less I would be fine. Then I read the warning.

I was using Power Pistol because its what I have for my 9mm and I don't have much funds.

I see a lot of info for Gold Dot and not much for plated. I know Gold Dot is plated too so could I use that info too just not the OAL?

Link Posted: 8/22/2012 11:24:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Gold Dots are jacketed, not plated.

Still, I'll agree with dryflash that you'll be fine shooting them.    I made almost the exact same mistake with Power Pistol.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 5:44:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 7:18:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Still, I'll agree with dryflash that you'll be fine shooting them.    I made almost the exact same mistake with Power Pistol.  

Your information is wrong...do a little research and you will find that God Dots are indeed plated as the O.P. stated.  A thicker plate than some, but plated none the less, as Speer likes to say in their advertising, "one molecule at a time."

Hardness and thickness of the plated jacket and hardness of the lead core underneath is more what determines whether it acts like a lead bullet or a jacketed bullet at speed through a barrel.  Gold Dots do have a thicker plated jacket compared to Berry's and Rainier's and the core is hard enough to make it perform.  

Berry's is about to release a Gold Dot copy that looks and hopefully performs like a Gold Dot.  Release date is this summer.....they are going to have to hurry....summers about over.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 1:48:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, I learned quite a bit right now.

After I shoot these off I'm going to load the remaining to at 6.5 and 6.8 and see which ones work best.

As much as I enjoy the movie effect muzzle flash I think I'm going to look into a seperate powder for 9mm and .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your information is wrong...do a little research and you will find that God Dots are indeed plated as the O.P. stated.  A thicker plate than some, but plated none the less, as Speer likes to say in their advertising, "one molecule at a time."

Hardness and thickness of the plated jacket and hardness of the lead core underneath is more what determines whether it acts like a lead bullet or a jacketed bullet at speed through a barrel.  Gold Dots do have a thicker plated jacket compared to Berry's and Rainier's and the core is hard enough to make it perform.  

Berry's is about to release a Gold Dot copy that looks and hopefully performs like a Gold Dot.  Release date is this summer.....they are going to have to hurry....summers about over.

I'll concede to you on that point although their website refers to "the copper jacket".    There seems to be quite a bit of discussion on that point.

Link Posted: 8/23/2012 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I am not familar with PP, I load WW 231 4.7gr with a 230 RNL, meters well and is accurat in my MKIV Colt, also I load a OAL at 1.26, factory ball that I have is 1.27 OAL.
Link Posted: 8/24/2012 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll concede to you on that point although their website refers to "the copper jacket".    There seems to be quite a bit of discussion on that point.  

IMO Speer's "jacket" wording, which has caused the confusion, was purely intentional....a marketing thing.  A plated jacket is technically a jacket.  If Speer was to advertise them as plated bullets, some might not ever try them...which would be too bad for them. They are an excellent bullet, one of the best, plated or not.

Speer Gold Dot.

Berry's new SD bullet.  (Hope it turns out as good)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top