Site Notices
11/27/2014 5:24:27 PM
11/27/2014 12:14:39 AM
Author
waited for the safe to open
Military
Posted: 8/7/2012 3:55:21 PM EST
I can't remember if I've asked this in here before but has anyone used one of these? I've been rolling my own buckshot but it's just not worth it unless I make my own cost wise. I'm set up to cast already. Just need a mould and have been looking at these in #4 buck.

Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
I first came to this site for the storehouse of knowledge here, but stayed for the hate.~ColKlink
RIPRonReagan
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2012 7:07:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By JoeCoastie:
I can't remember if I've asked this in here before but has anyone used one of these? I've been rolling my own buckshot but it's just not worth it unless I make my own cost wise. I'm set up to cast already. Just need a mould and have been looking at these in #4 buck.

Any experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bigger is better when casting buckshot.

It takes you forever to cast a lb of useable shot when casting #4 buck or similar.

#1, #0, #00, #000 is where it's at. Check out the sharpshooter molds if you're hell bent on casting smaller buckshot.

I have cast #4, #1, #0, #00, and #000 and it makes a huge difference. Typical #4 buckshot load is 24-27 pellets. That's 12-13.5 castings with a x2 mold. Typical #00 load is 8 or 9 pellets. That's 4-4.5 castings with a 2x mold.

dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic before it was cool
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2012 7:50:38 PM EST
Someone posted a review on the Lee mold some time ago.

Worked good, just needed the lead temp up high to cast right.

That's what I remember from that thread.

I use a Lee .31 caliber round ball mold. I cast using 2 or three molds, just put this one in the rotation.
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.

ALASKANFIRE
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/7/2012 9:00:53 PM EST
I know zero about casting but lee makes a 18 pellet mould in 00. Not sure of any other sizes. Seems like it would be a real time saver
Originally Posted By swingset
No one wants to eat right and exercise, and lower their stress levels, all of which will come in a lot more handy than a home defense carbine and chest rig

ANIMUS
Rude pricks need a serious traumatic life experie
JoeCoastie
waited for the safe to open
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 8/8/2012 3:01:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I know zero about casting but lee makes a 18 pellet mould in 00. Not sure of any other sizes. Seems like it would be a real time saver

That is the one I'm talking about. I'm not going to sit around for DAYS casting 2 #4 buck at a time. I would be at the smelter for an eternity. LOL.
I first came to this site for the storehouse of knowledge here, but stayed for the hate.~ColKlink