Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2012 8:00:18 AM EDT
So I bought a square deal from a guy on armslist for $200. it was setup for .45 ACP and was missing anything related to small primers. powder measure was old style, powders bar was old style, primer feed system was old style, and I had delrin bushing where they started using brass ones in 1998. I had it up and running .45, but figured I would call dillon for refurb, clean and lube. Basically, you pay for return shipping, and packaging, and ship out on your dime. fine by me.

I wish I took more before pics, but this is the only one I have, excuse the bench clutter, I was organizing

They said they are running about 3 weeks when I called them, I sent it out the end of june, and arrived in scottsdale on July 3rd. I was away for the holiday and got a call while out shooting at my cabin on July 5th, "your press is ready, we just need a CC number"

Sweet!
Got it back thursday, and this is what was in the new dillon box with specific square deal foam (I sent them a cardboard box with newspaper packing)

Bunch of new parts, retail price on parts replaced came out to $326 (no charge to me)
If it wasnt for markings on the frame where its mounted, and the tops of my dies having marks from wrenches, I would almost think it was all brand new. I had them throw in the .40SW conversion and toolhead which I also paid for, and after added some more lighting, and beefing up my bench. How it sits now is like this

So if you find a dillon cheap, just buy it
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 8:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Well Done Sir!   and very good advice
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I got to send in my RL550 for an overhaul.  

Picked it up used about 15 years ago and used the hell out of it and then it sat for 3 years in the basement unused.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 9:35:59 AM EDT
[#3]
If you have an older SDB with nylon bushing in the handle linkages, call Dillon for parts. They will give you new bronze bushings and links to really make the press tight.

I used to have three of the SDBs. One I got for $100.

They updated you to the fail safe powder measure with no springs, I see.
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
So, how much did it cost you for the refurb?
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 7:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/14/2012 7:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So, how much did it cost you for the refurb?

$67
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:30:47 AM EDT
[#7]
It cost you $67 to ship your press to Arizona?
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:35:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 5:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Then it didn't cost $67 for the refurb.

ETA: and a 40 conversion plus tool head is way more than $67, so something isn't adding up...

ETA2: Perhaps since nothing was actually broken, Dillon charged for the labor? Seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:13:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Maybe OP will check back in and clear up.  

When I sent my SDB in, it cost me $0. Several years ago.

That's what I'm expecting to pay for mine when I finally send it back for that broken frame I have cobbled together...

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a fully working press, I called dillon requesting them to go through it, when they take in a working press they charge for return shipping and the packaging (per a dillon post I saw on Brian Enos forums) that was my $67. even if part of that goes towards labor, I'm ok with that, I sent a letter actually saying to add the cost of the small primer pieces because I expected to pay for lost parts.

I sent it out for ~$20 the slowest way possible, priority would have cost me $44, so $67 3/4 away accrossed the country and their fancy packaging sounded about right, it was almost 19lbs when they returned it.

When people send in a busted press, they will take care of it under warranty and not pay anything, i may have been better off breaking something and saying it doesnt work, but I'm not dishonest and their warranty isnt going anywhere.

Total cost to me was $184, thats the refurb, conversion, and spare toolhead.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 9:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

When people send in a busted press, they will take care of it under warranty and not pay anything, i may have been better off breaking something and saying it doesnt work, but I'm not dishonest and their warranty isnt going anywhere.

Absolutely never meant to imply otherwise. I just hadn't connected that you sent in a working press for service, not a broken press for repair. My bad all the way.

Link Posted: 7/15/2012 12:53:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely never meant to imply otherwise. I just hadn't connected that you sent in a working press for service, not a broken press for repair. My bad all the way.

no problem, i didnt mean to say you were. I have just heard that type of impression from others on different forums and was just making it clear

If you have a broken frame, I have no doubt they will take care of you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top