Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2012 3:59:57 PM EDT
The headstamp says PSD on the top and I dried depriming a few of them and they keep pushing my primer pin out. I checked to see if there was some media stuck in the case and they are empty. This happened on 3 PSD cases already.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Shine a light down the neck. Most likely Berdan primed.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Go slow on PSD cases and they will decap .
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Not Brendan primed, they just have a heavy crimp. Go slow and evenly
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Not Brendan primed, they just have a heavy crimp. Go slow and evenly

x2

Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
PSD(same company as PMC) is also known to have the flash hole off center...I've reloaded  quite a few of them. The ones with the hole offset can be a little harder to deprime. I separate them into two piles...offset for plinking, straight for better loads...btw,it is great brass to reload.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:16:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just deprimed a few of these from picking some up from the range today. I've never run into these before.
They seemed to be crimped rather well. No problem though.
I use a Dillon deprimer. It's worked great so far.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got a bunch of this brass. It deprimed OK, but swaging the primer pockets with my Dillon Super Swage 600 is a BITCH of a job. I have given up for the moment as so much force is required. Anyone have any ideas why, or any suggestions for easier swaging?
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 6:16:10 PM EDT
[#8]
PSD (PMC military brass) is well crimped as if they were not intended to ever be deprimed but I have done maybe 700+ without problems. using an RCBS small base die.

I do not remove the crimp on many brass cases like LC, FC and IMI but man these have crimps like nothing else and require some serious brass removal.

Once the crimp is removed they load up fine but if you have easier options shy away from PSD

Some PMC HS 223 has this same crimp but it is so big it can be easily seen with the naked eye

Wulfmann
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I tried Deprikmming slowly and still pushing my pin out. I held it on the up stroke and then hit my primer pin back in with a hammer and it deprimmed it. Im gonna set up a decapper then full length sizing die on the next stage and see if it works better.

I still don't have a good way to remove the crimp pocket besides using a Lee Debur/Chamfer tool but it takes quite a few twists. I've just been separating the crimped brass which is about 10%. A lot of FC and LC stuff, some I can still prime with the crimp if I go slow enough.
Link Posted: 6/21/2012 4:40:47 AM EDT
[#10]
If you do not have a decrimping tool try this.

Place the little deburring tool in a corded electric drill and brace that so it is stable at a 45% angle
Turn it on so it runs continually
Now, wearing a glove as you hold each piece of deprimed brass push it into the spinning deburring tool. One small push will be enough. Do not hold it on the spinning tool or it will cut into the pocket walls. .
A fraction of a second is all you need.

Your decapping die likely has a thicker pin which is sticking in the hole. Mine is obviously smaller as I have never had this pronlem

I have both a reading and RCBS SB sizer and both pins are the same thickness

Wulfmann.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
I kept pushing the de-capping rod out of my Lee dies, too.  I gave up and round-filed these.  I decided that life is too short.  The brass looked real purdy, though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:13:09 PM EDT
[#12]
i had some military brass from the uae and it would push the pin out on my lee die.

I just tightened the ever loving snot out of my die with a couple big ole wrenches and the sucker hasn't budged untill i hit a berdan primed.
Link Posted: 6/22/2012 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I broke 2 pins yesterday in 5min. One universal decapper and one sizing die. Lee is sending me new ones but said not to use the universal decapper for military crimp brass.

Yes, the Universal Decapper is guaranteed unbreakable however it is not always going to be unbreakable. What kind of brass are you depriming? Is it military primed, with crimped in primers? If so, do not use the Universal Decapping Die for this brass. You are guaranteed to have broken Decappers and be unable to reload. The military primed cases are too difficult for the Rod to handle as there isn't enough energy force behind the Pin due to the length of the Rod. The caliber specific Sizing Die Decapping Rod is more suitable for these cases as it is shorter and has more force behind the Rod. Also check to make sure none of your brass is Berdan primed as these cases are not reloadable and we do not offer a way to deprime these cases. We are sending a replacement Decapper for both dies, but please check your brass before depriming any more cases.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top