Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2012 9:51:26 PM EDT
I have a Lee 300 Blackout full-length resizing die.

I also have some factory primed brass.  I want to run this brass through the sizing die without depriming it.  It appears though that the decapping pin and the next expander are permanently stuck together.  Am I just not pulling hard enough?

Or do I need to buy another brand die to do this?
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I have a Lee 300 Blackout full-length resizing die.

I also have some factory primed brass. I want to run this brass through the sizing die without depriming it. It appears though that the decapping pin and the next expander are permanently stuck together. Am I just not pulling hard enough?

Or do I need to buy another brand die to do this?

Unless you have something very different,, un do the pin,,, nut clamp,,, that holds the pin ,,,, take it all the way out,, and the pin,,, stays in it,,, sooner or later you will break a pin,, so buy some extras!!! they are cheap,, I order form Lee get 5 at a time,,

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#3]
No way to slide the rod up enough to not deprime on the new Lee dies?

You can heat the end of the rod slightly to remove the pin if you must, I've done this.

Danny
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
not sure of your exact lee die but my lee fl sizing die i can just back the rod out and it seems the cases still hit the expander.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:02:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
not sure of your exact lee die but my lee fl sizing die i can just back the rod out and it seems the cases still hit the expander.

this^

raise the decap rod high enough so that the press bottoms out without the pin contacting the primer, but not so high that the expander ball doesn't fully pass through the case neck.

Link Posted: 6/18/2012 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this^

raise the decap rod high enough so that the press bottoms out without the pin contacting the primer, but not so high that the expander ball doesn't fully pass through the case neck.

+1
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I had  this problem when I went to deprime some berdan cases with my Lee dies.  Lee puts the large diameter of the expander shaft high in the die, which is probably a good idea since then the case is better centered and supported by the full length die.  However, if you raise the expander/decapping shaft enough so that it will not decap the case, there is no clearance for the case to proceed up into the die.   It is stopped by the expander.  The decapping pin is not really removable from the expander/decapping shaft.  Everyone else's dies allow the decapping pin to be removed from the expander system.

What did I do?   Ordered some extra expander/decapper shafts from Lee and ground the pin off the end of them.  They only cost about $4.00 each and I ordered for 4 different sets of dies that I  intended to load Berdan for.   Ground the pins off today.  BTW, they are hard and I could not do much with them with a file or a hack saw blade.  Power grinding wheel did the trick.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 3:57:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I tried adjusting the entire decapping/expander assembly but didn't have any luck getting it just right ... just torqued the pin off.  I deprime everything in a Lee universal decapper anyway.  Problem solved.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 4:08:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Just an fyi about something I found out years ago.

That pin in the Lee die is/was the same pin as in a domestic automotive u-joint needle bearing.

I broke one, lightly heated the end of the stem and it popped out, slid the needle bearing in the stem while it was still warm.

Working to this day.

Danny
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:15:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Order another expander from Lee.  Grind the tip off the one you are using now.
Link Posted: 6/19/2012 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I also cut the pin off and cleaned it up nicely. I ordered a few extras from lee and keep those on hand. I recently switched to a Forster sizing die and the pin is removable, which is nice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2012 7:58:08 PM EDT
[#13]
The new pins are one piece. I think they changed sometime late last year. I just ground the pin off just leaving the expander ball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top