Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2012 8:59:23 AM EDT
With small pistol primers getting hard to find, could someone guide me on a good load for 9mm 115g bullets and .40 with 180g bullets using SPM primers?

I generally use Unique, Winchester 231 and Universal clays  but would consider going with other powders.  

Any and all recommendations welcome.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for answers to a great question.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#2]
CCI 550s are all I've used since the primer shortage of 08-09.  .380, 9mm, 40S&W and small primer 45ACP.  I'm using Blue Dot in the 9mm, AA#5 in the other 3.  Work up your loads again, but I didn't really see any difference - but I'm usually handloading to the mild side.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:33:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Use the magnum primers in any listed load for the caliber you are loading, start light and work your way up just like you would do if you changed out any other component.

I have used small and large pistol and rifle primers many times when regular primers weren't available, using the method of starting light and working a load up, no problems no issues.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 9:43:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I used Remington 5 1/2 small pistol magnum primers during the last drought to load 9mm. 5.7 grains of Power Pistol under 115 grain Remington HP's netted 1150 fps from my firearms. Approximately 50 fps faster than standard primer used to create the load data in my manuals. Basically this load duplicates factory ammo.
Link Posted: 4/30/2012 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Just reload like you have been.  Maybe start out .1 or .2 less than you have been.  I use what ever primers i can buy. SPM or just SP.  Im not picky.  Ive used exclusivly SPM since 2008 when we had the scare.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top