C C CCoach Kline said I could fight!!!
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/8/2012 7:55:56 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
Originally Posted By MastaMarksman:
Originally Posted By gman556:
Originally Posted By MastaMarksman:
I'd like to see this come out, and give it a try. It looks like it would be a little more quiet than the Dillon, because of the side lever motion?. The bump the Dillon makes is a little bit too loud for an apartment.

I also tried the RCBS press swager, and that was even louder. My bench it pretty solid too, and doesn't move at all, so it's not my bench. The bumping sound it would make was the equivalent of me lightly stamping on my floor. I live upstairs.

Uhh, I've never heard anyone complain about the Dillon being loud before..... I guess theresa a first for everything..

Personally mine is not loud at all. As a matter of fact, throwing the brass into the bucket when finished is about 10x louder than the swager..

-Masta

I guess I should of said that I never had the Dillon, but figured it would be just as noisy? From the vids I seen on it, it seemed to make a bumping sound that would be annoying for my downstairs neighbor. If you never lived in an apartment, than you wouldn't understand. If you have than I would love some input as to weather the dillon would be ok to get for me? I don't feel like waiting for the RCBS to come out in june, just to save a few dollars.
Thanks.

As a matter of fact I have lived in apartment, but always downstairs, and I never reloaded back then..

I can't imagine the Dillon swager making enough noise to bother anyone.. As I said chucking the cases into the bucket after swaging makes far more noise than the swager it self..

I can almost guarentee your press makes more noise than the swager would..

-Masta

Thanks Masta!

You just made my night. Screw waiting 3 months for a RCBS to come out, when I can get a Dillon now for a few dollars more.
"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I sure as hell won't".
GWhis
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2012 2:26:31 PM
[Last Edit: 3/13/2012 2:34:04 PM by GWhis]

Thanks Masta!

You just made my night. Screw waiting 3 months for a RCBS to come out, when I can get a Dillon now for a few dollars more.

Hope you ordered it already, so you don't have to sweat a decision anylonger, because the waiting for the green tool is over. The RCBS version is in stock at Midway and Grafs today.................uh huh, I suckered, and ordered one. What can I say, curiosity is a serious weakness of mine. Though I ream my brass now, finding it is a more sure thing than swaging, and a sure thing is important to me when loading progressively, still I gotta see if this thing is worth their trouble, seeing that the blue tool is pretty entrenched and well liked. Yes, I will report on this tool in detail when it gets here and I have an hour or two. We will see if it ends up on Craig's list.

BTW, from Grafs including shipping I paid $85. Midway was a bit higher.

Scott_R
I don't need no stinkin' title.
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2012 3:16:54 PM

Originally Posted By GWhis:

Thanks Masta!

Hope you ordered it already, so you don't have to sweat a decision anylonger, because the waiting for the green tool is over. The RCBS version is in stock at Midway and Grafs today.................uh huh, I suckered, and ordered one. What can I say, curiosity is a serious weakness of mine. Though I ream my brass now, finding it is a more sure thing than swaging, and a sure thing is important to me when loading progressively, still I gotta see if this thing is worth their trouble, seeing that the blue tool is pretty entrenched and well liked. Yes, I will report on this tool in detail when it gets here and I have an hour or two. We will see if it ends up on Craig's list.

Thanks for the heads up. Got mine ordered from Grafs, also.

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone." Frederic Bastiat
gman556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/13/2012 4:52:24 PM
Originally Posted By Scott_R:

Thanks Masta!

Thanks for the heads up. Got mine ordered from Grafs, also.

Actually I havn't ordered it yet, but the Good news is I now have a better chance of getting one if the other is out of stock. Keep us posted on how you like it? Look like it will be a good one. The only thing I didn't like was, during the video from shotshow, he had to keep readjusting it to the casing when he inserted it each time. Like it was not lining up. Hopefully they have already addressed this. Didn't look like too big of a deal though, as it was still quick.
GWhis
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2012 11:40:12 AM
[Last Edit: 3/14/2012 11:41:30 AM by GWhis]

Actually I havn't ordered it yet, but the Good news is I now have a better chance of getting one if the other is out of stock. Keep us posted on how you like it? Look like it will be a good one. The only thing I didn't like was, during the video from shotshow, he had to keep readjusting it to the casing when he inserted it each time. Like it was not lining up. Hopefully they have already addressed this. Didn't look like too big of a deal though, as it was still quick.[/div]

Noticed that as well. I'm betting it was adjusted too low....both times Ken had to raise it. (bet he was not happy about not being as ready as he thought he was for the video.) Anyway, if its a design problem without adjustment, you all will soon know about it from me.....and it'll go back to RCBS.

gman556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/14/2012 4:16:32 PM

Actually I havn't ordered it yet, but the Good news is I now have a better chance of getting one if the other is out of stock. Keep us posted on how you like it? Look like it will be a good one. The only thing I didn't like was, during the video from shotshow, he had to keep readjusting it to the casing when he inserted it each time. Like it was not lining up. Hopefully they have already addressed this. Didn't look like too big of a deal though, as it was still quick.[/div]

Noticed that as well. I'm betting it was adjusted too low....both times Ken had to raise it. (bet he was not happy about not being as ready as he thought he was for the video.) Anyway, if its a design problem without adjustment, you all will soon know about it from me.....and it'll go back to RCBS.

Thanks GWhis
Keep us posted.
Scott_R
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:15:09 PM
My RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Bench tool arrived today.

I set it up on a 1x6 piece of spruce to clamp to the bench. May do something different, later. This seems to work fine, though.

The adjustment that wasn't done for Ken at the shot show was simply neglect by somebody.

There is indeed an adjustment for that, and mine needed it. It works GREAT after you make that adjustment, and figure out how deep to run the swager rod.

It is MUCH faster than my old method, and I'm not covered in shavings when it's done.

If you've never used a swager before (I haven't), I highly recommend you do a few and test them by actually inserting primers before cranking out thousands.

obligatory picture...

"Everyone wants to live at the expense of the state. They forget that the state wants to live at the expense of everyone." Frederic Bastiat
gman556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:23:51 PM
My RCBS Primer Pocket Swager Bench tool arrived today.

I set it up on a 1x6 piece of spruce to clamp to the bench. May do something different, later. This seems to work fine, though.

The adjustment that wasn't done for Ken at the shot show was simply neglect by somebody.

There is indeed an adjustment for that, and mine needed it. It works GREAT after you make that adjustment, and figure out how deep to run the swager rod.

It is MUCH faster than my old method, and I'm not covered in shavings when it's done.

If you've never used a swager before (I haven't), I highly recommend you do a few and test them by actually inserting primers before cranking out thousands.

obligatory picture...

Scott_R
Thanks for the update!

I ordered one this past weekend, as I'm getting sick of the old method myself. I was going to get the Dillon if the wait was going to be 3 months longer, but this one looks like it suits me better for $20 less. I paid $88 shipped from Midway.
I figured it was just an adjustment problem.
Thanks!
F_Double_O
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/19/2012 10:45:05 PM
id love to see a side by side comparison between the dillon and rcbs unit. both are quality companies so id be very interested in what the pros and cons of each one are.
DHC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 12:19:28 AM
Originally Posted By F_Double_O:
id love to see a side by side comparison between the dillon and rcbs unit. both are quality companies so id be very interested in what the pros and cons of each one are.

Might be interesting to throw one more, albeit significantly LESS known, unit - found here ––> http://www.ch4d.com/catalog/priming/419000.

I just picked one up and while I have never used the Dillon (or RCBS) unit, it is difficult to imagine them being any easier or more effective than the CH4 unit - AND - the CH4 unit is less than 1/3 the cost of the others.

Offered FWIW
GWhis
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:19:41 PM
Might be, but I don't have one. It looks a little like RCBS's original without the separator cup....how do you release it once you jam it into the pocket?

I just got mine from Grafs this morning. I will do an in-depth picture review in a new thread ....soon. You could always do one of your CH.
CCW
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 3:32:56 PM
Question for the new RCBS Bench Swager: How is spud changed from large to small on the RCBS unit? On the Dillon, it requires almost complete disassembly & reassembly of the handle/cam mechanism with grease everywhere. Then reset the bottom rest block.
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user. Character in the long run is th decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike -TR 26thPOTUS CMO2001
Scott_R
NRAMilitary
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 4:17:52 PM
[Last Edit: 3/20/2012 4:32:33 PM by Scott_R]
The spud is held in with a pin. Just pull the pin, swap and replace pin.

The rod screws in, and is adjusted with an allen wrench.
gman556
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 5:43:17 PM

Iv'e never had the Dillon, but from what CCW,and you just said, I think I'm already liking the RCBS one better
DHC
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 5:51:38 PM
Might be, but I don't have one. It looks a little like RCBS's original without the separator cup....how do you release it once you jam it into the pocket?

I just got mine from Grafs this morning. I will do an in-depth picture review in a new thread ....soon. You could always do one of your CH.

Looking forward to your photo review.

As for doing one on the CH - naw, others have already done that. I just thought it might be of some interest to y'all. And BTW - it is NOTHING like the original RCBS. Totally different animal.

FWest
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 7:25:39 PM
I use the CH4D and it works great. Easy and cheap.
CCW
Link To This Post
Posted: 3/20/2012 10:05:36 PM

Nice feature. Thanks.
A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends on the character of the user. Character in the long run is th decisive factor in the life of an individual and of nations alike -TR 26thPOTUS CMO2001
Page:  / 2
Next Page