Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/14/2012 7:08:38 AM EDT
This is not a sales ad.. mods please do not delete or lock!!

As many of you know I work for ATK/New River Energetics where Alliant powder is made. I just wanted to inform you that ATK has officially lost the bid to run the Radford Army Ammunition Plant, but has a 5 year contract to remain there making medium caliber ammuntion and Alliant Powders. BAE Systems Inc. won the contract. There may be an interruption for U.S. made powders (everything except Reloader powders) from June 30th until God knows when, probably no more than 2 months while BAE and ATK negotiate the cost and delivery for NG and NC for Alliant powders. This means there MAY be a shortage of powder from all mfgs and all types of powder during this time. We have been working non stop to meet orders from all buyers. The word is that either ATK will move Alliant Powder to the LC plant (if they win that bid) in the next few years or they will sell Alliant Powder to BAE Systems because they expressed an interest in commercial powder and ammunition and because most of the machinery we use to make the powder is owned the the government and cannot be moved. I'll try to keep you guys informed if anyting else changes.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:12:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for the update!  Good to know.  Too many times, the shooting community encounters shortages/price hikes with zero clue as to WHY.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:16:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thank you for the update!  Good to know.  Too many times, the shooting community encounters shortages/price hikes with zero clue as to WHY.

No problem, but I doubt there will a mark up due to this. ATK who owns Federal, Kent, Estate, CCI, and some other companies was going to raise the cost of ammo 2% last week but decided not to because you, the buyers, who took a survey, basically said you wouldn't buy our products if the price went up.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

No problem, but I doubt there will a mark up due to this. ATK who owns Federal, Kent, Estate, CCI, and some other companies was going to raise the cost of ammo 2% last week but decided not to because you, the buyers, who took a survey, basically said you wouldn't buy our products if the price went up.

Hard to pay more for things when the Unemployment/Underemployed/Discouraged rate is hovering around 20%

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hard to pay more for things when the Unemployment/Underemployed/Discouraged rate is hovering around 20%

I agree, hell, I make the stuff for them and I could hardly afford to reload for a while.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 9:33:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Move the production to your Bacchus location.  Good economy, good workforce, and all-around awesome.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

where was/is the survey? I'd like to weigh in...
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 2:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to know and we appreciate the info ahead of time which doesn't seem

too occur often.  Whatever the change is I hope it is smooth and seamless

to us!  Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
U.S. made powders (everything except Reloader powders)

Since you capitalized it, do you mean "RelOder" propellant without any "A"; or, are you referring to the entire line of "reloading" propellants (Bullseye, Unique, Reloder, etc)?
I previously worked at the then Hercules Inc plant (Kenvil, NJ) where the Reloder propellant line was developed and first produced. When I was offered a transfer to the Hercules Inc Bacchus Plant in Magna, Utah was when I quit.
I notice that Widners still misspells "RELOADER" on their website.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
U.S. made powders (everything except Reloader powders)

Since you capitalized it, do you mean "RelOder" propellant without any "A"; or, are you referring to the entire line of "reloading" propellants (Bullseye, Unique, Reloder, etc)?
I previously worked at the then Hercules Inc plant (Kenvil, NJ) where the Reloder propellant line was developed and first produced. When I was offered a transfer to the Hercules Inc Bacchus Plant in Magna, Utah was when I quit.
I notice that Widners still misspells "RELOADER" on their website.

You're right, I always write Reloader since that's they way it appears on blend sheets at work. I am referring to Reloder powders since they are made by Bofors in Sweden and all we do is put them in canisters with Alliant stickers.
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 3:27:39 PM EDT
[#10]
The only powder they make that I don't have a good supply of is Unique.    

Thanks for the heads up.   Next time I'm at the gun store I'll pick up a lb.  

If they don't have any, I'll find something else that works.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top