Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2012 1:10:30 PM EDT
I bought a lb of AR-Comp to try with several bullets.  Unfortunately, there is almost no load data available (that I can find).   Alliant's web page lists 1 load for 3 bullets but does not indicate whether they are starting loads or max etc.   Their information does say that the burn rate is almost identical to VARGET.

Does this mean that I can safely use VARGET load data from the companies manual for the bullets I want to use?  

Comparing the data from Alliant's web page to several loading manuals confuses the issue because the VARGET max loads from the manuals are significantly higher than what is listed on the web page.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
AR-Comp is a temp. insensitive version of RE-15.

The data I have are maximum loads.

What bullet are you looking for?

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
AR-COMP is a temp insensitive version of RL15, but according to Alliant's web page it is closer to VARGET due to the changes to make it temp insensitive.

From 'Accurateshooter.com' Article:
"Burn Rate Like Varget: Though this is a reformulation of Reloder 15, the burn rate of AR-Comp is slightly faster than Reloder 15. Alliant told us: “Reloder 15 is slightly slower, in burn rate, than Varget. The new AR-Comp, with the enhancements, ended up slightly faster than Reloder 15, so it is now very close to Varget in burn rate”. This is the result of the “tuning” of the powder to be much less temp-sensitive."

I am wanting to try Sierra 69gr HPBT MK, 77gr HPBT MK, Nosler 69gr HPBT CC, and Nosler 60gr BalTip w/cann.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#3]
The Sierra bullets are on Alliants website. You can substitute Sierra data for the Nosler Match Bullet.

You can reduce by 1.5gr and use the 55gr Sierra data for the 60gr Nosler Partition.

Since these are maximum loads, reduce by 10% and work up.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:49:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 1:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies.

Have you tried these loads yourself?  If so, how was the results?  They seem to be really low powder charges.   They are 2 grs lower than the RL15 max loads.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 3:02:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They seem to be really low powder charges.   They are 2 grs lower than the RL15 max loads.

The charges produce near maximum pressure (53,500 to 54,500 psi).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top