Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/14/2011 6:23:32 PM EDT
With all of the nightmare stories about FC headstamps floating around. Would I be safe to load ones that were made from 2007your to present? I have over 50k80k of them.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:35:29 PM EDT
[#1]
No it wouldn't. Send them to me for disposal!

If the cases are once fired you could reload all of them. Just check for length & if you want to be really fussy sort them into batches.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I load it and have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 6:42:32 PM EDT
[#3]
The problem I have with FC is the primer pockets.  Every time I reload them I throw maybe 10% away because the primer pockets are loose.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 7:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Small letter FC has been fine.
Large letter FC has been problematic.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 8:16:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:00:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Would you please clarify for me?

By small letter, do you mean lowercase?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

Federal Brass with LARGE headstamp on left, small headstamp on right.
the brass on the left (Large––headstamp) has a web thickness of less than .170 while the brass on the right (small headstamp) is .186 on average. .186 is typical for LC Brass, Win, and other brass considered to be top tier brass. The large headstamped brass will have a loose primer pocket after one or two firings and there are many reports of case head seperation. Personally I load the large headstamped brass once for use in my bolt gun then scrap it.
ETA: I also have FC Brass which has a date code rather than the "223 REM" that has the small text headstamp. Its the good stuff also. Dryflash has a method describing how and why to measure web thickness up in the tacked threads. Every reloader should learn to make a thickness measurement.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:10:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks much! I appreciate the clarification and picture. Will look into the web advice as well.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

the brass on the left (Large––headstamp) has a web thickness of less than .170 while the brass on the right (small headstamp) is .186 on average. .186 is typical for LC Brass, Win, and other brass considered to be top tier brass. The large headstamped brass will have a loose primer pocket after one or two firings and there are many reports of case head seperation. Personally I load the large headstamped brass once for use in my bolt gun then scrap it.
ETA: I also have FC Brass which has a date code rather than the "223 REM" that has the small text headstamp. Its the good stuff also. Dryflash has a method describing how and why to measure web thickness up in the tacked threads. Every reloader should learn to make a thickness measurement.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/UpstateEd/IMG_4359.jpg

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/UpstateEd/IMG_4359.jpg

Couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The problem I have with FC is the primer pockets.  Every time I reload them I throw maybe 10% away because the primer pockets are loose.

Same here, I only reload it once.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 12:44:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:22:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to change the subject....BUT.....Can you post a pic of your stock pile,  I would love to see what 50 to 80k of brass look like.  I have a hard time storing what I have.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Good on Right, bad on left.

Large letter FC brass ready to give up, left first reload, right second reload.

Link Posted: 11/15/2011 4:57:48 PM EDT
[#14]
If you're removing crimp with a Dillon or RCBS swager, you'll feel the thin web brass.  The good FC will swage at the same support rod setting as LC.
Link Posted: 11/17/2011 12:00:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here, I only reload it once.

Same here.  In that regard, it's good for 'lost brass' matches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top