Site Notices
4/15/2014 2:52:24 PM
4/15/2014 11:16:20 AM
Author
Posted: 11/14/2011 10:23:32 PM

THE IMAGE ABOVE IS A PAID ADVERTISEMENT
With all of the nightmare stories about FC headstamps floating around. Would I be safe to load ones that were made from 2007your to present? I have over 50k80k of them.
Pandamonium
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/14/2011 10:35:29 PM
No it wouldn't. Send them to me for disposal!

If the cases are once fired you could reload all of them. Just check for length & if you want to be really fussy sort them into batches.
Pumpkinheaver
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/14/2011 10:39:45 PM
I load it and have never had any issues.
alemonkey
Beer drinking, gun toting, libertarian simian.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/14/2011 10:42:32 PM
The problem I have with FC is the primer pockets. Every time I reload them I throw maybe 10% away because the primer pockets are loose.
If you live in Nebraska you should be a member of the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association (membership is free!): http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/

Who is John Galt?

WI57
Breath, Relax, Aim, Squeeze...
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/14/2011 11:18:40 PM
Small letter FC has been fine.
Large letter FC has been problematic.
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
Its the guy that just walks in and just starts shooting.
AeroE
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:16:30 AM
Originally Posted By owtlaw:
With all of the nightmare stories about FC headstamps floating around. Would I be safe to load ones that were made from 2007your to present? I have over 50k80k of them.

Measure the web thickness of a sample from each year, then decide.

Lots of primer crimps to remove ...

Remember Braydon Nichols and his Dad, Chinook Pilot CWO Bryan Nichols, KIA in Afghanistan 6 August 2011
UnderTheGun
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 11:00:13 AM
Originally Posted By WI57:

Would you please clarify for me?

By small letter, do you mean lowercase?

Thanks in advance.
ScEd1
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 11:59:38 AM
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 12:01:18 PM by ScEd1]
Originally Posted By UnderTheGun:

Thanks in advance.

Federal Brass with LARGE headstamp on left, small headstamp on right.
the brass on the left (Large––headstamp) has a web thickness of less than .170 while the brass on the right (small headstamp) is .186 on average. .186 is typical for LC Brass, Win, and other brass considered to be top tier brass. The large headstamped brass will have a loose primer pocket after one or two firings and there are many reports of case head seperation. Personally I load the large headstamped brass once for use in my bolt gun then scrap it.
ETA: I also have FC Brass which has a date code rather than the "223 REM" that has the small text headstamp. Its the good stuff also. Dryflash has a method describing how and why to measure web thickness up in the tacked threads. Every reloader should learn to make a thickness measurement.

UnderTheGun
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:10:26 PM
Thanks much! I appreciate the clarification and picture. Will look into the web advice as well.

Originally Posted By ScEd1:

Thanks in advance.

the brass on the left (Large––headstamp) has a web thickness of less than .170 while the brass on the right (small headstamp) is .186 on average. .186 is typical for LC Brass, Win, and other brass considered to be top tier brass. The large headstamped brass will have a loose primer pocket after one or two firings and there are many reports of case head seperation. Personally I load the large headstamped brass once for use in my bolt gun then scrap it.
ETA: I also have FC Brass which has a date code rather than the "223 REM" that has the small text headstamp. Its the good stuff also. Dryflash has a method describing how and why to measure web thickness up in the tacked threads. Every reloader should learn to make a thickness measurement.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af6/UpstateEd/IMG_4359.jpg

WI57
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:51:37 PM

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't have said it better.
Its not the guy that walks in with a gun and says he is going to start shooting that you have to worry about.
DanishM1Garand
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 12:56:08 PM
Originally Posted By alemonkey:
The problem I have with FC is the primer pockets. Every time I reload them I throw maybe 10% away because the primer pockets are loose.

Same here, I only reload it once.

dryflash3
Global Warming Hoax Skeptic
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 4:44:52 PM
[Last Edit: 11/15/2011 9:35:21 PM by dryflash3]

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I also have FC Brass which has a date code rather than the "223 REM" that has the small text headstamp. Its the good stuff also.

dryflash3 has a method describing how and why to measure web thickness up in the tacked threads. Every reloader should learn to make a thickness measurement.

Couldn't have said it better.

5th post down in this Thread I posted my method.

eta teaser pics,

Cases were cut away to show the process. Old FC was dangerous thin brass.

Any measurement less than .185 is scrap in my world. YMMV
Selling agent for Algores carbon credit scam.

Shooting and Reloading, one hobby feeds the other.

PC-Tech
Just shut up and reboot already.
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:22:27 PM
Not to change the subject....BUT.....Can you post a pic of your stock pile, I would love to see what 50 to 80k of brass look like. I have a hard time storing what I have.
WI57
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:49:51 PM
Good on Right, bad on left.

Large letter FC brass ready to give up, left first reload, right second reload.

Scaup58
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/15/2011 8:57:48 PM
If you're removing crimp with a Dillon or RCBS swager, you'll feel the thin web brass. The good FC will swage at the same support rod setting as LC.
I love the smell of gunpowder, avgas & women, it always means fun!
strat81
Misanthropic Realist
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 11/17/2011 4:00:08 PM
Originally Posted By DanishM1Garand:
Originally Posted By alemonkey:

Same here, I only reload it once.

Same here. In that regard, it's good for 'lost brass' matches.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association today! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/