User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Posted: 6/3/2011 12:32:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 12:33:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Great write up as usual dryflash3!!! thanks.

i am in the process of building my own tumbler now. hope it works.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:22:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I like shiny things and this thread delivers.

Im not into reloading but that was a nice write up. I can appreciate the efforts it took.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Here is a mod I made to my tumbler – the idea is not mine but I saw it on a board somewhere.

When my tumbler came, it already had four long bolts attached to the motor jutting out. What I basically did was to make a support from some waste steel I had, bolt it to the motor using four spacers made from a brass tube and then bolt the whole support to the base. Locking washers ensure that the nuts and bolt don’t vibrate loose. I find that this really reduce the amount of vibration coming from the motor since it is now supported from both sides.

Not pretty but functional.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:53:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Geez... that looks like so much effort to clean brass.

Does polishing out the inside of the brass actually help you with anything?? Thats the only advantage I see to this.

They do come out shiny though haha.

Just curious... from start to finish... your own personal labor.... how long does it take to polish say 1000 pcs of 9mm or 600 pcs of 45acp? (not including the rotating time)

MIke.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#7]
great write up. Im thinking about the conversion. I like shiny!
How many 223 can you run in the tumbler?

also is this a good deal
package
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Great write up
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:21:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Had a question, could you do the same with a Berry's tumbler or is that intended for dry media only? New to all of this and I do not want to destroy my tumbler if I throw in a bunch of water in it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Geez... that looks like so much effort to clean brass.

Does polishing out the inside of the brass actually help you with anything?? Thats the only advantage I see to this.

They do come out shiny though haha.

Just curious... from start to finish... your own personal labor.... how long does it take to polish say 1000 pcs of 9mm or 600 pcs of 45acp? (not including the rotating time)

MIke.

It takes me about 6 to 10 minutes to unload tumbler and load a new batch for the next run.

Advantage is no dust, and look at the before and after pic. Can't do that with a vibrating tumbler.

If you are good with your present tumbling, stay with it.

I posted this thread to answer questions for people who are considering wet tumbling.

1k of 223 0r 45 ACP would take me 4 runs to do.

Gotcha, ya I was just curious what it took because pictures appear a lot more labor intensive than just using a traditional tumbler... 6-10 mins doesn't sound too bad... about twice as long as it take me to empty a tumbler/shake brass of media/refill tumbler.

But ya no dust would be nice... I just discovered that using polishing stuff(car polish or something) cuts back a ton on the dust when you add it to the media..and cleans the brass about 3 times after!

How long do you tumble each batch for?

Mike.

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 6:10:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice write up.

How do I tell if my Model B tumbler is high or low speed? The box is gone.

Danny
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 7:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nice write up.

How do I tell if my Model B tumbler is high or low speed? The box is gone.

Danny

I have a standard speed and the motor says 1550 RPM, I believe the HS version is 3000 RPM.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 8:33:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Show off.  

That's some really nasty looking brass at the bottom.

My contribution...

Before and after on some really nasty cases with stainless steel...

soaked in hotwater and lemishine for 20 minutes...

Tumbled...

Link Posted: 6/3/2011 9:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice write up!
Im thinking about switching over myself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#20]
DF3,

Got my first batch running now.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 10:46:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Show off.  

That's some really nasty looking brass at the bottom.

My contribution...

Before and after on some really nasty cases with stainless steel...

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/9070/dirty.jpg

soaked in hotwater and lemishine for 20 minutes...

http://img863.imageshack.us/img863/7497/rinsed.jpg

Tumbled...

http://img852.imageshack.us/img852/3038/tumbled.jpg

I can figure out the first and last pic, but what does the middle pic mean?

Guessing brass was run 2 cycles, and second pic was after 1 cycle?

The brass had so much mud and debris on it, I pre-washed it in a tub of hot water and lemishine before tumbling. It also removes a lot of tarnish. I was doing the same thing before I tumbled brass in a vibratory tumbler just to speed up the process.
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2011 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 12:57:53 AM EDT
[#24]
nice
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:31:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Dryflash why do you have to post stuff like this....... Now I cant get that Bling out of my head , I want, I started tumbling my 223 all night in corncob for sub par bling, but wow! that nasty to that shiny Im gonna start saving my money for a wetSS setup
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 3:31:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Nice writeup.  Mines is being shipped.  I've read that Thumler's instructions are almost non-existent.  Do you happen to know if the 15lb weight limit is including the drum or just contents?  Was thinking of placing the drum on a scale and filling water along with soap and brass/media until I reach capacity.   Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 9:20:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Just a couple of comments to add to your wonderful write up.

I have been using the SS media for about a year now.  I love it.
I have been experimenting with some different things and find them to be satisfactory.

First, I have the low speed model and only tumble for 4 hours at a time.  I get spotless brass cases.  Even the very dirty corroded ones.  

Second, I have been trying less of the media.  I use about 3 to 4 lbs of media at a time.  3 is not enough, but 4 seems to work just fine.  Then I add a bit more brass.  
1 gal water = 8 lbs
4 lbs SS media = 4 lbs (duh)
then 3 to 4 lbs of brass.
a splash of Dawn Dish soap
and a dash of Lemishine
tumble for 4 hours.

I have a batch turning right now.  I do not have before pictures, but I'll post the after pics when I get them done.

This may save someone some time and money in the long run.  

Just my two cents worth

JKM

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:13:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:39:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:05:12 AM EDT
[#31]
I've been using an ultra sonic since shortly after I started reloading(little over a year). I just ordered my tumbler and stainless on Thursday and can't wait for it to get here so I can get my bling on.

ETA Thanks for the write up. It was threads like these that got me into using the ultra sonic and now into the SS tumbler.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:31:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Is 5 pounds about the right weight for a Thumbler's, or is a little more needed?  I'm weakening.

5 lbs should be fine.  Like I posted above, I have been using a bit less and getting away with it.  
I did this originally to try to increase the amount of brass I was doing.  I also have a reserve for those pins that go MIA.  

JKM
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:36:24 AM EDT
[#33]

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Wet%20Tumbling/P5300114.jpg

I use a 2 liter pop bottle cut to about 6 inches as my brass measure.

Thanks for that great idea.  I tried to find different Tupperware around the house that would be just the right size   but this way I can make it "just the right size"
and I can make one for each caliber I tumble.
Thanks for the tip.

JKM

Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I also went the Thumbler's route. I had a bunch of LC brass that had all sorts of really nasty stuff on the cases that my vibrating tumbler wouldn't touch, even after 12 hours. I tried the SS/liquid, checked after only 1 hour tumbling, and wow! That is all I needed. It's shiny and clean.

Depriming before tumbling does aid in drying, and the primer pockets get a nice cleaning.

I use a Dillon separator to separate the media. I fill the tub so that the separator is 1/2 underwater and turn it a few times. All the media ends up in the tub and the brass is well-rinsed. I take a bath towel and place the brass in the middle, patting down the outside. Then, using the end of the towel as hand-holds, rock the brass back and forth. Most of the water will be gone. I use a cookie sheet in the oven at 150 for about 20 minutes, and the brass is usually dry.

Directions say 180 rounds of .223/5.56 will be a load. I tried that, it worked fine. So I upped it to 200, that worked fine. I tried 250, that worked fine, too. 300 sounded like the motor was working too hard on the tumbler, so I stopped and removed some. I will probably stick with 200.

I also tried a batch with different shell sizes, wondering if they would stack inside each other. They do. Still have to sort that range pickup stuff before tumbling.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Well you all have convinced me. Ordered this morning. Now to build a drying apparatus that works in South Texas humidity...
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well you all have convinced me. Ordered this morning. Now to build a drying apparatus that works in South Texas humidity...

After running brass through the ultra sonic I use an old cookie sheet and sit the brass in direct sunlight. Seems to work well enough in about an hour or two, best part the Sun is free.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#37]
very awesome.  I am putting together plans to build a reloading shed since things are getting a bit crowded in the house, guessI am going to have to add a utility sink in there. . . .

thanks for the write up.  Very interesting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/4/2011 11:53:21 PM EDT
[#39]
What kind of tumbler is that? Been thinking about swapping over from corncob vibratory myself, if the investment cost is right.
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 12:03:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 12:44:19 AM EDT
[#41]
Guys, just saw this post and wanted to let people know that the low and high speed motors do not mater. I am running a low speed and my brass comes out sparking in 4-5 hours, no need to run for over night as mentioned in original post. I will throw some photos up tomorrow of some LC match brass i just ran today.

Also if you feel you must have the highspeed motor you can get that switched out pretty easily by thumler.

Pat

PS Stainless media is the best stuff i have found. Blows the ultrasonic i was using away
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 1:24:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Great write up, thank you for your contribution.  

I have been wanting to get into this type of tumbling since I saw it on youtube.  The startup price is what I cannot justify to the minister of finance!  I am however working on my own type of tumbler that involves a motor and 30 gallon drum.  Seems when I pick up a lot of range brass, most tumblers will only handle 300ish rounds.

Again, thanks for the write up!
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:03:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the write up.  Has anyone tried dropping the water content to say 3 quarts to make more room for brass?  Also, does anyone know of the best place to pick up Thumler's Model B?

Edit:  Are you guys using a universal decapping die to deprime before you run the brass?
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 10:16:03 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Thanks for the write up. Has anyone tried dropping the water content to say 3 quarts to make more room for brass? Also, does anyone know of the best place to pick up Thumler's Model B?

Edit: Are you guys using a universal decapping die to deprime before you run the brass?

I have reduced water volume slightly (you fill to the same level in the tumbler but the volume is reduced) when I put in more brass (keeping the amount of SS media constant).  What I find is this does not affect the operation of the tumbler as it maintains the weight that it has to handle.  However, as the ratio of brass/SS media change, you are going to get reduced cleaning efficiency which just means that to get the same degree of cleaning, you are going to have to run it longer.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#47]
Anybody else finding the media holding a magnitic charge yet?
'Borg
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Anybody else finding the media holding a magnitic charge yet?

'Borg

No have not seen any evidence of magnitization of the SS media.

Link Posted: 6/5/2011 10:08:04 PM EDT
[#49]
How much louder is this compared to a normal vibratory tumbler? Does it cause the same amount of vibrations? I live in an apartment so I typically only tumble brass when the neighbors are gone and I put it in a closed room to "lessen" the noise. I keep thinking of picking one of these up and just keep the vibratory one for removing case lube and whatnot. I'm assuming you guys are running universal decapping pins so as to not muck up your sizing dies correct?
Link Posted: 6/5/2011 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

How much louder is this compared to a normal vibratory tumbler? Does it cause the same amount of vibrations? I live in an apartment so I typically only tumble brass when the neighbors are gone and I put it in a closed room to "lessen" the noise. I keep thinking of picking one of these up and just keep the vibratory one for removing case lube and whatnot. I'm assuming you guys are running universal decapping pins so as to not muck up your sizing dies correct?
This is indeed a downside to using the Thumler's Tumbler - it is louder and the vibration is significant greater probably because you are moving a lot more mass. You can reduce it by putting it on some shock absorbing material but it will not go away. If you look at my tumbler in this thread,

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=42&t=344832

You will see that I put an extra brace on the right side of the motor. A big impetus to do this was to reduce vibration. However, even with this enhancement, when I run my tumbler on my row around work bench (4" x 8' x 4") and weighting in around 300lbs, the whole thing still vibrate enough for me to take my laptop off it to avoid potential damage to its HD.  My plan is to put it on the basement floor which is concrete....

Yes, when I decap before, I use the universal decapping die.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 23
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top