Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2011 5:44:46 PM EDT
Anyone use it? I know its comparable to Winchester 748. I am especially interested in using it for .223/5.56 with Nosler/Sierra 77 grain hpbt? It only comes in 8 pound jugs so I'd like some reviews before I buy so much.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I got a jug of it a while ago and have loaded up some 308 with it.  I used BLC2 data to load it.  I found it to be quite accurate.  I plan on loading up some .223 next chance I get to get to the range.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:10:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I went through 8lbs in 55gr plinking loads. I can't speak to the accuracy, as the bullets were pretty much garbage pulls. I just used it for guilt free blasting. Burned good though, and it was cheap.

That said, I've got some chrono data for 24gr of 846 under a 55gr from a 16" and an 11.5" gun if you needed it for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/28/2011 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I know its comparable to Winchester 748.

Huh???

It's usually said (for data use)........

WC844 = H335

WC846 = BLC-2

I'm NOT saying that it's an exact/direct replacement. So, of course...........start low and work your way up. Take all standard precautions when approaching any "new" load.

And, YMWV.

Aloha, Mark

Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I had some left over 748 laying around so I loaded up some Nosler 77s to see how the heavy weights will fare with that burn rate.

Is 846 a ball powder? I use a Hornady LnL AP so if it flows through their powder measure well that'd be a bonus.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 11:34:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Anyone use it? I know its comparable to Winchester 748. I am especially interested in using it for .223/5.56 with Nosler/Sierra 77 grain hpbt? It only comes in 8 pound jugs so I'd like some reviews before I buy so much.

I prefer 4895 surplus , if it can be found .

I am not greatly impressed with WC846 , I found it gets touchy with 168 grain bllets in 7.62 NATO , when you get close to max .

Loaded some in .223 , but it did not seem as accurate as AA 2200 .

God bless
Wyr
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know its comparable to Winchester 748.

Huh???

It's usually said (for data use)........

WC844 = H335

WC846 = BLC-2

I'm NOT saying that it's an exact/direct replacement. So, of course...........start low and work your way up. Take all standard precautions when approaching any "new" load.

And, YMWV.

Aloha, Mark

Actually the guy I got my powder from sold it as W748 but once I got it and started looking in to it I saw that it was actually BLC2.  Looking at the loading data 748 and BLC2 are about the same but the BLC2 was normally a lower charge so I used that data.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 3:32:09 AM EDT
[#7]
WC 844 was actually taken from one end of the WC 846 production as lots on the extreme end of the burn rate range for WC846 were found to be more suitable for 5.56mm M193 production - so it got it's own specification.

The thing to remember is that canister powders (BLC-2, H335) are designed for a degree of lot to lot consistency that does not exist when you talk about WC 844 and WC 846 from different lots.  Ball powders in general are made in large lots and then different lots with different burn characteristics are then blended to get the desired burn traits.  Those large lots meeting that specification are then used to develop the specific charge weight used for that really large lot.  And the charge weight for a given application will vary from one lot to another.

In short you'll find a lot more variation from lot to lot in a powder intended for large scale ammo manufacture than you will find in canister powder.

Unfortunately now and then someone pulls down a single round or a sample from a single lot and then definitely states that a certain mil-spec load uses x grains of x powder when that is the case only with that particular lot and the same charge my be either in insufficient or a dangerous excess charge with another lot.  So start low and work your way up slowly.
Link Posted: 5/1/2011 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
H335  
This is a very popular spherical propellant manufactured by Olin. H335 is an equivalent of Olin's WC844. This powder enjoys an enviable reputation in cartridges like the PPC's, 222, and 223 Remington. Nomenclature establishment has become unclear. Obviously it was some reference to relative burning speed. It is similar to the slightly slower burning BL-C(2). It currently can be found on dealer shelves as both newly manufactured or as an excess made to military specifications. Hodgdon suggests this powder as a strong candidate for the 308 Winchester and the 35 Remington.  

Source: Lyman Reloading Manual 47th Edition

H335™ originated as a military powder, used for the 5.56 NATO, or 223 Remington as handloaders know it. Obviously, it sees endless use in the 222 Remington, 223 Remington and other small cartridges. In particular, prairie dog shooters will find this a favorite, as J.B. Hodgdon has for years! Available in 1 lb. & 8 lb. containers.  
MSDS

Source: Hodgdon Powders

As for the story of WC844 and WC846........

In January 1970, Olin took a further step and divided the tolerances of WC846. They finally discovered/admitted that lots of WC846 suitable for 5.56x45mm were at the opposite end of the tolerance range from lots suitable for 7.62mm NATO. Henceforth, the 5.56x45mm suitable tolerance range was relabeled as WC844. The 7.62mm NATO-suitable tolerance range remained known as WC846. WC844 is still used for loading 5.56x45mm ammunition.

Read the history of powder selection during the development of the 5.56 mm cartridge here……

http://www.thegunzone.com/556prop.html  

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/2/2011 6:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]
OK... So what about this?

It's commonly understood that BL-C(2) is fairly temperature sensitive as far as powders go.... How is H335 in this regard?

I was thinking about grabbing some as it's a little faster burning (so might be a better choice for a 16" barrelled 7.62) and I like in a place where the weather can go from 20 degrees in the winter to well over 100 in the summer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top