Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2011 2:37:54 PM EDT
Bought a FAL not long ago and it dents up the brass pretty good.  Would like to reoad it for my 308 bolt.  Anyone got any experiance with this?  Sizeing die takes care of case mouth but what will happen when i fire a rnd with a dent in the side of the case?  Also, the FAL likes to chew up the rim upon extraction...any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If the dents are not a "cut" where the integrity of the case wall is reduced then firing will iron out any dents. On cases with dinged up extractor rims I most often use a flat smooth file and file down any burrs. If the rims are bent I file the case head smooth before sizing the case.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
FAL's have a tuneable gas port. I would start by adjusting it downward to reduce the power transferred to the ejection/extraction/cycling of the rifle. If you don't have the small wrench to adjust it, a mighty grip with your fingers will do provided the rifle's gas system is cleaned an lubed.

You can easily see how the gas block works. The larger the window gets, the more gas it vents to the atmosphere as opposed to the action. Just open it up a little at a time until the rifle starts ejecting the brass without beating the crap out of it. The old school way was to shut it most of the way down. Then with an empty magazine in place you open it up one notch at a time until the bolt stays open from the magazine with every shot. Then add one more slot's opening for good measure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#3]
they make a rubber like thing that attaches  to the ejection port area that helps prevent denting. I can't remember where I got mine or who makes it. I got it like 30 years ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/15/2011 7:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
My FAL reeks havoc on cases. I often mix ammo. With factory ammo, sometimes the brass will fly 15 meters, but mostly 3 to 4 meters. Like others say, adjust your gas setting so it will cycle every time and no further.

FALs were built as machine guns, ie reliably hammer in the round to chamber, and extract the eff out of it. It will dent brass and leave extraction marks all over your receiver. But you already know this.

Fireforming will take almost all dents out of the case. Gouges, not so much, especially where the case wall strength is compromised. If it is just dented, reload by properly resizing to SAAMI, or to your chamber, which may be looser. Also keep in mind, If the dent compromises case volume, you're subject to increased chamber pressure.

My take only.
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got back on the computer....been practicing with my 300 win mag all day and doping in the scope with a new load for my 243. Anyways, thanks for all the input. Any brass with gouges gets trashed for shure. Those pics looked just like the brass my FAL is leaving me to work with.  I sized about 200 rnds lastnight and will trim to length tomorrow....then I'll try to file down those extractor dings on the rims.

Another question though...how many times do think it would be safe to go through this cycle? Shoot FAL reload and shoot through bolt gun then reload and shoot through FAL? How many times will a 308 case take getting dented then fire formed before its trash?

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 2/16/2011 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#8]
You have not seen dents till you shoot a HK 91 or 93.  They throw brass into the next county!  The port buffer helps!  But, nickel plated brass sort of looks like a zebra after being fired in the fluted chamber!
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 1:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Depends on the load and the rifle. No way to say for certain.

Just inspect your brass very well before reloading.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/PC270335.jpg

If you see any of these splits, time to recycle.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Cases/P2060713.jpg

If you see any Incipient case head separations, that was one reloading too many.

You can still sell a bucket of those to the recycler; make sure you get a fair price.

Link Posted: 2/17/2011 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, just cut to length 60 Rnds of 308 brass.  I had just thrown brass from FAL & from bolt gun in same box. After deburring inside and out decided to run through bolt gun to see if they would chamber. Well duh...all the bolt brass fit but only about 10 FAL rnds fit.  Looked at the bad ones and the rim is bent.  I havent even looked in a midway or brownells catalog, but do they make a tool to bend rims back in shape?  If not, guess i will have a project for this weekend! Also, does anyone think they would chamber in the FAL?  Cant check,DSA has the rifle right now.  
Tried fileing one of the bent cases and it would take foever to fix those emptys!
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
You can file the case in the extractor groove to relieve some of the pinched metal. Just file the rim, not the case body. Did you try to dial the gas system down yet or is it still at DSA?
Link Posted: 2/17/2011 5:16:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The FAL is still at DSA.  I just sent it on Monday and they said 3 to 4 weeks.....damn thing was shootn 9 inches low @50 yrds....front post was bottomed out and no adjustments on rear sight. I'll try turning the gas down like you said soon as she gets back....DSA also sells a brass catcher that stopped the brass from flying all over my shop and gettin dinged on other shit.  Turning the gas down should stop it from bending the case rim
(hopefully) right?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top