Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2011 10:29:44 AM EDT
hi all

looking to make lead shot because it is so freaking costly to order.  I have seen some ones out there for 300+ bucks, but wow thats still pricey.  Are there any plans that show how to build one?

Thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#1]
go online to Bing, search 'how to make a shot tower'  scroll down about 6 articles, read......post results of research program, complete with testing protocols...........
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Every picture or video of a "shot maker" I've found online shows lead being dripped through an orifice and allowed to drop over a "bridge" before falling into a coolant that helps the shot solidify.  This is basically a "shot tower."  The process is very old, and while the current day machines look quite complex, it's still the same process.  Depending on how the lead is poured, different sized pellets form and cool as they fall.  The height is selected to control shot size and allow the pellets to cool sufficiently to remain fairly round when they hit.  Any non-mold shot making process is a variation on this basic concept.  The cost for these machines comes from the selection of the right materials and production of the parts so that the machine works.  It's not a tinkerer's "easy project" by any means.

Perhaps you could buy shot in person and let the shop you buy from handle the rather high shipping costs.  I do that with bullets almost all the time, and still manage to afford decent quantities.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
only place around here that sells it is bass pro.  those prices are 50 bucks for 25#s.  i can order it on midway cheaper than that with shipping included.
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
only place around here that sells it is bass pro.  those prices are 50 bucks for 25#s.  i can order it on midway cheaper than that with shipping included.

Are you a member of a range or gun club?  See if you guys can organize a group buy.  (That is, a few pallets full.)
Link Posted: 1/19/2011 1:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top