Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2010 11:41:11 PM EDT
I acquired a Rock Chucker in trade, and I just got it set up.  The press didnt include the primer catch, and the reviews for the catch on Midway look pretty weak.

Is it worth the $12 or should I take the time to properly rig up a home brew contraption?
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 11:43:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're talking about the plastic one, it's fucking worthless and you would be better off to make something.

I love the RC but that thing just blows.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 2:51:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

If you're talking about the plastic one, it's fucking worthless and you would be better off to make something.

I love the RC but that thing just blows.

I concur. I just set a waste basket under mine. Works 99.9% of the time.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I tossed mine out years ago in a reloading room cleaning frenzy, should of kept it.  It's useless anyway for my Rock Chucker set up which has the no longer made and sold RCBS Case Kicker.  I use a big plastic tub to catch most of the primers

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 5:33:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:37:33 AM EDT
[#5]
RCBS sent me a free one.  I will make the Mod's Mod.  In any case, it was better than what I had, which was dead primerss all over the floor.  How hard is it to captre primers, really.  They needs to give that some thought.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 6:59:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Yesterday I just stuck a garbage can under the press... it caught most of them but I wonder if the tape mod would help.
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 8:01:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I recently helped a buddy gather reloading equipment who bought a Rockchucker at the funshow. The primer catch was missing.

He called RCBS, 1-800-553-5000 and they sent him one for free. Problem 1. fixed.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC260331.jpg

The problem is that the primers are ejected and hit the primer arm spring at an angle and go flying.

Simple fix for this. One and a half inch piece of masking tape. Center the tape on the spring. Problem 2 solved.

This fix also works on the RCBS JR, where I first came up with it.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC270332.jpg

Action shot, the primers build up, then fall into the catch tray.

With my tape fix, I loose about 1 primer every 500 cases sized.

You can thank me later.

Ha ha!  I've always said that the simplest fixes are the best fixes!  I really think you can sell that idea!  Sell a roll of tape with directions to cut a 2" strip off and stick to the primer arm spring....they get the fix and a hundred replacement strips!!  But seriously, a great idea for a very old problem!  I'll use it myself!

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I recently helped a buddy gather reloading equipment who bought a Rockchucker at the funshow. The primer catch was missing.

He called RCBS, 1-800-553-5000 and they sent him one for free. Problem 1. fixed.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC260331.jpg

The problem is that the primers are ejected and hit the primer arm spring at an angle and go flying.

Simple fix for this. One and a half inch piece of masking tape. Center the tape on the spring. Problem 2 solved.

This fix also works on the RCBS JR, where I first came up with it.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg272/dryflash3/Rockchucker/PC270332.jpg

Action shot, the primers build up, then fall into the catch tray.

With my tape fix, I loose about 1 primer every 500 cases sized.

You can thank me later.

Ha ha! I've always said that the simplest fixes are the best fixes! I really think you can sell that idea! Sell a roll of tape with directions to cut a 2" strip off and stick to the primer arm spring....they get the fix and a hundred replacement strips!! But seriously, a great idea for a very old problem! I'll use it myself!

Lifetime Warranty, eh?

Link Posted: 12/29/2010 7:55:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/29/2010 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#11]
RCBS needs to make a hollow ram, like the Forster and Lee! C'mon if Lee can make it RCBS can!
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 5:23:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I just took the priming arm off and cut a T shaped piece of roof flashing that fits into the slot and keeps the primers from bouncing out and onto  the floor.  I prime using a Lee hand tool, as I never liked priming on the press.  My Rockchucker originally came with  a cast aluminum primer catcher which was held on with a rubber band.  That catcher got lost in a move and was replaced with the lousy plastic catcher.   The plastic catcher has broken twice, but RCBS replaces it for free.

G
Link Posted: 12/30/2010 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top