BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/1/2010 12:15:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I was under the impression that berdan primers had become unavailable. The only ones I'd seen before were PMC I think...haven't seen them in a year or two.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 12:44:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Good job! Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 2:09:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Could one:

Decap;
Drill a centered flash hole:
Then Enlarge the Primer Pocket to LR size for boxer primers??

Yes I know this is about fun and the not ease. Hell I am working on some homemade 54r tracers, and daytime ornge smoke tracers
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 2:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Chas8008:

Could one:

Decap;

Yes I know this is about fun and the not ease. Hell I am working on some homemade 54r tracers, and daytime ornge smoke tracers

This is what I've been wondering, because if you look at the inside of the case head, there's a little dimple on the backside of the anvil.... or at least on the ones I've looked at.

So I'm guessing that all a guy would have to do is to put the tip of the drill on that dimple & drill out the anvil?

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
oh boy this is SO a tag....
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:14:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Good job 'flash!
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Flash where did you get the Berdan primers and how much did the primers cost?  Great write up by the way.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:27:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DarkGray] [#8]
Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

Could one:

Decap;

This is what I've been wondering, because if you look at the inside of the case head, there's a little dimple on the backside of the anvil.... or at least on the ones I've looked at.

So I'm guessing that all a guy would have to do is to put the tip of the drill on that dimple & drill out the anvil?

Your problem would be this:
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
This Berdan primer is larger in diameter than LR, so I modified my never used RCBS first model hand primer.

The boxer primer would not fit tight, even with the anvil removed since the berdan primers are already larger.  I have read about guys that use sealants like clear nail polish or not removing the old primer crimp to fit standard LR boxer primers, but that sounds like a surefire recipe for blown out primers jamming up my gun.

Powdervalleyinc.com had the berdan primers in stock a month or two ago for $23 per K.  Shows out of stock now, but they are supposed to be getting another shipment in.
Link Posted: 10/1/2010 7:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By dusten:

Originally Posted By Gone_Shootin:

Could one:

Decap;

Your problem would be this:

This Berdan primer is larger in diameter than LR, so I modified my never used RCBS first model hand primer.

The boxer primer would not fit tight, even with the anvil removed since the berdan primers are already larger.  I have read about guys that use sealants like clear nail polish or not removing the old primer crimp to fit standard LR boxer primers, but that sounds like a surefire recipe for blown out primers jamming up my gun.

Powdervalleyinc.com had the berdan primers in stock a month or two ago for $23 per K.  Shows out of stock now, but they are supposed to be getting another shipment in.
Instead of removing the crimp what about a swedging tool so that no material is removed.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
Instead of removing the crimp what about a swedging tool so that no material is removed.  
Two problems with this.  First, most Berdan primed cases use some form of "stab" crimp-usually 2-4 small parts of the head around the primer are upset inward to hold the primer in.  This means that there is relatively little metal involved in the crimp in the first place, but it also means that it's harder to center something in the pocket to push the stabs out of the way.  The second, more important problem is that Berdan anvil in the middle of the primer pocket.  A swage button to remove this crimping would have to have a cavity for the anvil, which is of course why dryflash mentioned he couldn't use his Dillon Super Swage on these cases.

For a full ring crimp, as done on US cases,  you'd still have to battle that anvil in the middle.  The ball file/mill dryflash used is a great compromise between utility and potential risk to the case and primer pocket integrity.

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Could one:

Decap;

Long answer is yes.  It's been done.

People have converted 7.62x54R or 8x56R to take shotgun primer.

Short answer is it's not worth the time.

Long time ago (early 90's), I bought a kit for 7.62x39 RCBS die.  Contains bushing and long shank drill to drill holes from the top.
It was worth it back then since Norma was the only game in town.  Primer would not seat securely.  You had to load
individual round to SKS.

Now, all major suppliers make boxer brass for 7.62x39

Link Posted: 10/1/2010 1:18:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 2:17:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Psychovore] [#13]
This thread is extremely relevant to my interests.  Relatively new to reloading, and just bought a ton of brass-cased, non-corrosive Seventies-era Lapua 7.62x39.  Apparently their ammo of this type was some Berdan, some Boxer for the civilian stuff.  I don't know what mine is yet, though for the price it was cheaper per round than Wolf, so even if I had been unable to reload it I was still happy to get it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#14]
This is the stuff I picked up.

Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:15:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I have loaded Berdan since Old West Scrounger used to carry RWS Berdan primers. The only tool I use to remove them is a small  #1 nailset with the tip flatted on one side.  I hold the cases with an appropriately sized bolt held in a vice i.e. 1/4 inch for my 6.5 x55, 9/32 inch for 7.62, etc.  I drive the nailset half way between the firing pin indent and the edge then pry the primer out .It takes a fair amount of practice, but I"m too cheap to spend $50 on the RCBS tool and steel case 7.62 x39 cases  are everywhere free , they make great practice pieces, mostly not worth loading anyway.
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 10:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/5/2010 11:44:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#17]
Originally Posted By ravinluna:
I have loaded Berdan since Old West Scrounger used to carry RWS Berdan primers. The only tool I use to remove them is a small  #1 nailset with the tip flatted on one side.  I hold the cases with an appropriately sized bolt held in a vice i.e. 1/4 inch for my 6.5 x55, 9/32 inch for 7.62, etc.  I drive the nailset half way between the firing pin indent and the edge then pry the primer out .It takes a fair amount of practice, but I"m too cheap to spend $50 on the RCBS tool and steel case 7.62 x39 cases  are everywhere free , they make great practice pieces, mostly not worth loading anyway.

Remove decapping pin, fill case with water, run through standard sizing die. Hydraulic pressure should pop the primer right out.

Link Posted: 10/6/2010 12:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Psychovore] [#18]
Anyone got a direct link to a place to buy one of those Lachmiller tools?  Google is returning nonsense results and the RCBS site refuses to load.  :-/

ETA: Nevermind, found it at Wideners.  

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/7/2010 1:16:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Psychovore] [#20]
Got a range report for us yet?  I really hope they work out well, as I would hate to let all this nice Lapua brass from the ammo I bought go to waste if it turns out to be Berdan primed.  Going to take the Tula down to the range in the next day or two and pull some bullets so I can see how the cases are primed.

Link Posted: 10/7/2010 9:43:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#21]
Link Posted: 10/13/2010 3:35:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Forest] [#22]
Link Posted: 10/14/2010 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/15/2010 12:16:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 10:25:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Bump for new intrest in this technique.

How much difference is there in pocket diameter??? Just wondering if the pocket could be bumped down for a better fit?

The labor of decapping is a serious turn off! I guess it depends on the quantity… I think I would defer this exercise for really hard-to-find brass

Could a 1 Stroke tool be fabricated?
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Boxer LR .210 diam Berdan 5.5mm LR .217 diam. There are also  Berdan Cases that use even larger Berdans up to 6.5mm mostly Brit and pakistan .303 and a lot of the OLD Kynoch african calibers
Link Posted: 12/19/2010 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#27]
There was an aricle in Handloader in the late 70's about making a tool set to convert Bredan 5.5mm to boxer. It consisted of a punch that mashed the anvil flat and partially close the dual flash holes, with a shoulder that pushed the edge of the primer pocket down to swage the brass to the smaller dia., a drill bushing to drill out the flash hole and a caliber specific case holder. I paid a gunsmith to make the set as per instructions, but he had no clue how the Heat treat the punch so it would last. My punch got deformed after two cases and the SOB wouldnt' replace it. That's when I got my first RWS 5620's and started loading them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2011 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#28]
My notes about reloading Berdan primed brass............

BTW.......dryflash3......you're "DA MAN" wiith your pictures/tutorial on this subject.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:06:07 AM EDT
[#29]
So.... where do you go for Berdan primers these days?
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 10:49:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:36:25 AM EDT
[#31]
good job, lot of work there.
Link Posted: 6/29/2011 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 1:53:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Could this be adapted to the Berdan-primed 7.62x51?  I just bought some South African battle packs.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 7:37:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By Psychovore:

Could this be adapted to the Berdan-primed 7.62x51?  I just bought some South African battle packs.  

You bet. I reload the SA berdan 7.62X51 all the time. They decap very easily with the RCBS tool.

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:48:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 10/15/2011 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Could one:

Decap;

I have done this 20 years ago.  a company made a long drill plus hardened guide for RCBS dies.  You press in the case in the die, drill out.
The problem was the primer.  The boxer primer was slightly small.  Often, it would fall out.

Back in those days, there weren't many boxer primed 7.62x39.  Then Lapua brought some wonderful boxer primed brass for .25 each.  That solved my problem.  Lapua brass are much much better than American brass.

Link Posted: 11/23/2011 11:30:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I've enjoyed reading and following this thread (and the one about loading 7.62x39 steel cases) and have decided to give it a try.  FYI Powder Valley has Tula Berdan primers in stock.  I just ordered 2,000.  Has anyone tried this method of depriming Berdan brass?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350506140922?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I didn't buy the auction but I'm going to need to figure out something.

Thanks, Dryflash for posting this.

J
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/24/2011 11:02:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Wonder if Grafs will again, had them on one of my vists to the store awhile back
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:50:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: osucowboy8] [#42]
I scored a batch of Berdan primer brass off of the EE.  I decapped a small batch last night using the RCBS Berdan decapping tool.  It worked fine once I got the hang of it.  

Today I set out to resize my batch from last night and I've run into a small snag.  I'm using a set of used RCBS dies I got off eBay.  I also picked up a Wilson 7.62X39 case gage.  As I'm setting my resizing die I usually check each case in the gage to make sure I'm getting them properly resized.  I can't get a single case to drop into the gage.  

I got a loaded steel case round (it's all I have in 7.62x39) to make sure the gage is okay.  It drops right in and out, as expected.  I've adjusted the die and increased the cam and even tried resizing without a cam over.  I can lightly tap the cases into the gauge but I know that's not what I'm looking for.  

To make sure it wasn't the Berdan primer brass, I got a boxer primer case and resized it (using cam over and without) and it also won't drop freely into the gage.  

I've included a couple of photos for your inspection.

Any idea what the problem might be?  Is the die not resizing down to the base?  Incidentally, I checked and it is the FL sizing die.  I quick measurement with my calipers show that the inside of the mouth of the die .440.  Can someone check their dies against this measurement?  

Upon closer inspection, it looks like it might be the case rim that's causing it not to fit.  Thoughts?

It crossed my mind that maybe it's not that important if one were shooting these out of a SKS/AK rifle, but still I'd like to get it right.

Any input you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, J

Usually, my images disappear after a short time, so here are the direct links in case they're not showing up.

http://upload.pbase.com/osucowboy8/image/140068278

http://upload.pbase.com/osucowboy8/image/140068277
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 12:15:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RegionRat] [#43]
Looks like you may want to try a little closer case inspection to find the root cause.
Some calipers thrown around a sample that does drop into the case gage, then compared to one you sized may show you the issue.

Focus on the shouder radius first. See if the distance from the rim to the shoulder radius looks right.
Then see if the base diameter where the web blends into the case wall looks right.

This isn't easy to do without some gaging aids, but you can do this if you have a little skill with inspection.
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/3/2011 11:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks, DF.  That's good news. I did have about 50 that gaged out of the 100 or so that I resized this afternoon.  I think I'll go ahead and load 100 and see what happens. I'm going to wet tumble them over night.  I'll post a reply when I get a few bullets seated this week to update on whether they will chamber in my sks.  Thanks again for your reply.  I am grateful for your help.
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:34:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 12:38:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Buck_Naked] [#48]
I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but I have a question about Berdan .308...

I have some surplus Portuguese and Australian 308 that is Berdan primed, and it pains me to recycle this brass..  That being said, I have also heard that the Australian brass is very difficult to deprime even using the RCBS tool, and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or feedback to tell me if this might be worth trying or not...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 1:00:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:04:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Buck_Naked:
I hope this isn't too much of a hijack, but I have a question about Berdan .308...

I have some surplus Portuguese and Australian 308 that is Berdan primed, and it pains me to recycle this brass..  That being said, I have also heard that the Australian brass is very difficult to deprime even using the RCBS tool, and was wondering if anyone has any first hand experience or feedback to tell me if this might be worth trying or not...

Thanks!

What are the headstamps of your brass?

I have several hundred 308 Berdan cases I can deprime to see.

Remember 308 will use a different Berdan primer than 7.62x39.

I believe the headstamp is AFF 90, but I will double check tomorrow... if you want me to send some your way and you can try it, let me know...

Thanks!
Dave

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top