Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2010 4:49:05 PM EDT
I trying to find some load data on this, and yes I did search the Powder sites on the sticky above, nothing specifically for the above type of 55 grain bullet. I'm buying powder locally to save on the Hazmat fee and I have a supply of Winchester small rifle primers, using once fired mixed brass, mostly LC and PMC.

I'm hoping to be able to find either TAC, BCL2, H335, W748 or AA2230 locally.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 4:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer to your question is in the sticky right above your post.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=206

If you don't have MS Office, you'll need to download OpenOffice, which is free, to view the xls file in the program called CALC.

There are some good loads in there with the components you mentioned. I've printed the weights out which I'll use and skipped the rest.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#2]
The Hornady Reloading Manual 7th Edition has:
TAC
H-335
BL-C(2)
W-748
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:23:53 AM EDT
[#3]
use load data for whatever other 55 FMJ projectile you can find and work up your loads starting from min to max.  You'll discover the true max load for the Horandy 55 gr FMJ projectile in a safe manner
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 4:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
H335
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:35:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Benchmark, best powder I have used yet for 50-62gr bullets, 25gr's of BM in LC brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer(WSR will be fine), 2.255" COL is a tack driver for me.

Start at 23.5 and work up, I'm sure you'll find a load that is awesome in your rifle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 6:37:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
H335

+1
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:04:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I never could get better than 1"+ from H335, yet Benchmark will shoot MOA or better easy and meters almost just as good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I never could get better than 1"+ from H335, yet Benchmark will shoot MOA or better easy and meters almost just as good.

Well, that is probably true, but like the other guys I have never tried any other powder, so I have to suggest H355. Right? Besides, its almost military powder so it has to be the best, right? Because its milspec.

Have been meaning to try Tac; thought I read some positive reviews about it (supposedly more accurate and more clean than 335.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I switched from Varget to H335 when I stopped shooting highpower and never saw a reason to use anything else.   I am not a speed freak so my standard load is 24.5 with whatever brass you have and a 55gr. bullet of your choice.   Best of all is that H335 meters really well out of my Uniflow, which in itself is really saying something.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:05:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Keep it coming guys...some good suggestions so far and I really appreciate it.

This is my first go round with .223/5.5.56 I have about 1500 once fired cases, mostly Lake City, Federal, PPU, and PMC and I'm heading down to the local fun shop soon to pick my first pound of powder and pick up a set of RCBS standard dies. The bullets and a Hornady primer pocket cleaner are on the way from MidSouth. I have about 700-800 Winchester SR primers, that have been sitting in the cabinet for at least 15 years, maybe more if the old man had them...but I figure they should still be good. Dry, cool basement.

I have started cleaning and sorting cases, since I've never done this before I figure I might want to start my first batches off the same case?

This is going to be a general all purpose "plinking load" whereas I'm hoping that eventually I can use mixed brass and just have a safe, accurate all round "plinking" load, I can quickly and easily put together. I want to duplicate something between PMC and XM193, sure accuracy is always a nice plus.

Reloading for two AR's.

16" Stainless Rock River with a Wylde chamber
16 BCM SS410 with a SAM-R chamber.
Both are 1/8 twist.

I have other plans for heavier bullets and accuracy loads.

All suggestions, tips etc., are welcome.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 12:54:31 PM EDT
[#14]
H335 with Hornady 55fmj's plus you can trust Hodgdon's data for 55 fmj's.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 1:00:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I have about the same mix of brass for my plinking round.  I use 24.5gr of TAC and CCI primers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:28:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Benchmark, best powder I have used yet for 50-62gr bullets, 25gr's of BM in LC brass, Rem 7 1/2 primer(WSR will be fine), 2.255" COL is a tack driver for me.

Start at 23.5 and work up, I'm sure you'll find a load that is awesome in your rifle.

Yep I love Benchmark.  Very accurate powder.  I love BLC(2) as well as Varget.  H335 is good too.  The problem with Varget is you can't fit enough powder in the case for a lighter loads without compressing the crap out of it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 6:30:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys, I have several "older" manuals and I saw the Hornady #7 at the fun shop the other day. I was hoping to find some on-line data I could corroborate or feel comfortable with so I could but the bucks in components.

I found a pound of TAC so that's going to be my first batch, using once fired PPU cases, topped off with the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT w/c and lit by some very old WSR primers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 4:40:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks guys, I have several "older" manuals and I saw the Hornady #7 at the fun shop the other day. I was hoping to find some on-line data I could corroborate or feel comfortable with so I could but the bucks in components.

I found a pound of TAC so that's going to be my first batch, using once fired PPU cases, topped off with the Hornady 55 grain FMJBT w/c and lit by some very old WSR primers.

Strikes me as backward thinking. Forward thinking to me is to choose the bullet, then buy the bullet maker's book for proper component selection. Recent wisdom on my part says if choosing a brand of bullet, ......say Nosler. I didn't know what grain, but knew I wanted to try their ballistic tipped rifle bullets so I bought the book first.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#20]
most of the 55fmj bullets are made near identical as they are replacements for 55gr fmj military loads.  most of the data out there is for .223, if you want 5.56 load data check out the Sierra website.  you will be surprised at the difference in charge weights.  

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Ramshot X-Terminator

24.8gr

LC brass

CCI #41

2.23" OAL

~2940fps - 14.7" CMMG/~2980fps - 16" Sabre middy
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:43:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
most of the 55fmj bullets are made near identical as they are replacements for 55gr fmj military loads.  most of the data out there is for .223, if you want 5.56 load data check out the Sierra website.  you will be surprised at the difference in charge weights.  

advntrjnky

You would think that.  But experience says otherwise.  For example, bulk Winchester 55gr FMJs aren't even close to identical to each other.  It's like they have a dozen bullet making machines and haven't tried to adjust them to make the bullets similar.  I've been able to line up 10 randomly selected Win bullets with 10 different lengths, different heights or cannelure, and of course different weights.  Hornady's 55gr FMJs, on the other hand, are extremely consistent.  They also have thicker jackets than GI bullets, so they're not as likely to fragment the way real M193 rounds' bullets will.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:10:55 AM EDT
[#23]
TAC, 2230, H335. I have used all three and any of those will give you satisfactory results with 55gr FMJBT.

My recommendation? Buy the powder you are most likely to be able to readily purchase in the future. When you work up a sweet load you will not want to be scrambling for the powder. Pick the powder you can get more of readily, work up the load, find the sweet spot, and then buy more powder and repeat. You only get about 280 rounds/pound so you will need 6 pounds to start with for your 1500 pieces of brass.

jonblack
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 7:35:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I would recommend you stay away from CCI 400's. They start flattening very quickly as you work up your loads. Go ahead and spend the money on some BR4's or some other match grade primers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:38:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would recommend you stay away from CCI 400's. They start flattening very quickly as you work up your loads. Go ahead and spend the money on some BR4's or some other match grade primers.

What he said, the CCI 400 is like a Rem 6 1/2 and is not meant for 55K PSI loads, Rem 7 1/2, CCI 450, CCI BR4, Fed 205M, & Wolf SRM or 5.56 primers all work very well in high pressure loads, I use rem 7 1/2's only in .223 loads.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:51:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

advntrjnky

You would think that.  But experience says otherwise.  For example, bulk Winchester 55gr FMJs aren't even close to identical to each other.  It's like they have a dozen bullet making machines and haven't tried to adjust them to make the bullets similar.  I've been able to line up 10 randomly selected Win bullets with 10 different lengths, different heights or cannelure, and of course different weights.  Hornady's 55gr FMJs, on the other hand, are extremely consistent.  They also have thicker jackets than GI bullets, so they're not as likely to fragment the way real M193 rounds' bullets will.

you are correct about the QC issues....i was just meaning that i have never had a problem swapping between all the makes of 55gr fmj bullets when set to a COL of 2.20" +/- at the crimp groove.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:47:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Speer FMJ bullets are the next to the best(under Hornady) and their 62gr FMJBT is the closest thing to a perfect match to a M855 bullet without the penetrator, they shoot very well also and yes all 55 & 62gr load data is interchangeable as long as you work up the loads like your supposed to anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

advntrjnky

you are correct about the QC issues....i was just meaning that i have never had a problem swapping between all the makes of 55gr fmj bullets when set to a COL of 2.20" +/- at the crimp groove.

advntrjnky
Gotcha.  I concur.  But I would also remind others that they won't get the same accuracy results with different bullets because while those bullets are basically interchangeable, they're not identical.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:13:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Thanks guys, lots of good information. I'm still tumbling, sorting and sifting and bagging, separating by headstamp. As well as beginning work on case preperation, my Hornday 55's arrived to my surprise last Friday, MidSouth ships quickly.

My reloading buddy and I setup another RCBS RCII press with a RCBS Swager for military crimp removal, now we have this as well as a Hornady Primer Pocket reamer, they both work, but I think I'm taking a liking to the RCBS Swager over the handy little Hornady tool at least for now.

I purchased a pound of TAC, and I think I've found a decent supply locally, (long drive) for powder and primers, I'm still not real comfortable with my stash of ancient Winchester small rifle primers, I mashed several with a Lee Hand priming tool with my first couple of LC cases after using the Hornady Primer Pocket tool, then dented the primer with the next 4-5, until I got a feel for the Pocket Reamer. More primer recommendations and why are welcome.  

I've found some specific load data for the Hornday 55 FMJ as well as other 55's and TAC running from 23.4-26.3 min, max grains, I was somewhat surprised with the start loads in the Sierra # 5 manual which I found online at http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html, which suggests a start load of 24.7 grains of TAC. I haven't decided on a starting point yet, and may spring for the Hornaday 7th Edition manual before I do. All my manuals are at least 15 years old.

I read some disturbing articles by Clint McKee at Fulton Arms, he doesn't have any use for reloading of any semi auto US Military rifles, and warns of the many inherent dangers due to the floating firing pin, reading the article, while having my morning coffee yesterday, removed all the warm fuzzy's I had from setting up shop with my reloading buddy the night before, I was ready to start cranking out the Hornaday's while already thinking of picking up some Hornady 75's. Anxious to get started and start shooting reloads, I've got an upcoming shooting event scheduled for next weekend with the wife, out in the middle of nowhere in Southern Colorado, but for now, I think we'll go with the 250 or rounds of factory I've got, which is plenty, since we'll be shooting a bit of pistol too. We may do a predator hunt next Sunday morning and I have some 75 grain Hornaday practice TAP, that's zeroed and the guns like, which I'm sure will work on a called up Coyote.  

I know many folks have safely reloaded for the .223/AR platform, I'm still getting my feet wet, it's been 15 years since I reloaded for .357/.44, 10mm and a 22-250 bolt gun, I was a novice back then and still am, but I managed to safely load up several thousands of rounds back then and really enjoyed it.

And even if the "savings" isn't all that great between a load like the 55 grain Hornady FMJ and online purchased XM193 or PMC I learned a long time ago, that I prefer my own ammo over store bought. Not to mention how the savings gets to be significant for any other type of .223 bullet used, such as VMAX or the OTM's.

So...I'm going to take it slow, will continue to research, come here and ask "noobie questions"  for the next couple of weeks.  

I really appreciate all the patience and help!
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:45:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I read some disturbing articles by Clint McKee at Fulton Arms, he doesn't have any use for reloading of any semi auto US Military rifles, and warns of the many inherent dangers due to the floating firing pin,

If your worried about the floating firing pin then try some CCI #41 mil spec primers. The cup is harder.

If you look at the amount of traffic on the reloading forum on a site called AR15.com and are worried about problems with handloads for a AR-15 then I don't know what to tell ya, other then its safe if you use safe practices.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 12:26:06 PM EDT
[#31]
your 24.7 gr Tac start load is 5.56 data......which is different from .223 data.  just make sure your chamber is correct.....you mentioned a Wylde and BCM so you should be good.  just make sure you work up loads safely, as suggested in loading manuals.

advntrjnky
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:20:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I read some disturbing articles by Clint McKee at Fulton Arms, he doesn't have any use for reloading of any semi auto US Military rifles,
Clint is in the unenviable position of having to fix BAD reloaders' mistakes-by fixing rifles.  Any idiot can put together components.  It takes care, attention, and patience to make quality ammunition.  Considering that most high level competitors load their own ammo and never have a bobble, Clint's comments look like "I've seen how bad it can be" rather than "this is a common and unavoidable problem."

With that said, I sure wouldn't use "sensitive" primers in rounds made up for autoloaders, especially those with floating firing pins.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:50:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:28:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 6:37:04 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are unsafe reloaders, just like unsafe drivers.

Just follow the rules, and take your time.

Works in reloading and driving.

That's why I stopped reloading while driving.  Just wasn't safe.

Stopping to reload makes people honk though. I think there's even a bumper sticker about it.

ETA: I load H335 and TAC for 55 grain projectiles, and work up for each different projectile maker. With Hornady you only have to do this once. With Winchester and Armscor ... I think you have work up loads for every individual projectile

I am fortunate that my two 5.56 rifles seem to like the same 55 grain loads.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#36]
I fired off my first batch of 10mm handloads in 15 years without a hitch, so now I’m more confident in going for my first batch of .223.

I have TAC powder, 100 PPU .223 cases trimmed to 1.750”, CCI-450 primers and the Hornady 55 Grain FMJBT w/c.

I purchased the Hornady #7, manual, unfortunately the AR15 service rifle section is for 68-75 Grain bullets, their .223 data is for a M700 and the start and max loads seem to be on the low side.

The online Sierra #5 manual goes to the other extreme and as someone pointed out this is for 5.56 data, which makes sense, however the manual specifically says .223.

The powder manufacturer’s website has a middle of the road start load for .223.

The AR15 “pinned” Excel file has two TAC loads for the Nosler ballistic tip, again with middle of the road data.

Hornady is 21.5 gr. To 24.7 with a COAL of 2.20”
Sierra # 5 online PDF is 24.7-26.3, with a COAL of 2.250”
Ramshot Website has 23.4-26, with a COAL of 2.240”
AR15 Excel file has 24.5-25.2, with a COAL of 2.255”

I’ve been scouring the internet for loads as well, 24.5-26.1 grains of TAC seems to be the general consensus.

The Hornaday data seems very low, however I realize this was in a M700 chambered in .223.

So…I’m thinking of going with the Ramshot Data of 23.4 grains for a starting point, COAL, 2.250”, because my latest batch of 55 grain XM193 is 2.248-2.252”. However I remember reading about seating the Hornady FMJ to the edge of the cannulure so I may adjust for that. As far as crimp…I haven’t gotten that far in my reading yet. I’ve read both to crimp and not to crimp, maybe a “light” crimp would be best.

TAC 23.4 grains start load. Work-up in .2 grain increments.
COAL 2.250”
CCI-450
Once fired PPU .223, trimmed to 1.750”

Eventually I’m hoping to find a good plinking load and will be using mixed cases until they wear out.

I’m comfortable with the RCBS metal powder dispenser and older RCBS 5-10 scale with the “check weights”

Both guns are 5.56 chambers, a Rock River Wylde and a BCM SAM-R.

Any input, comments, critique of my “start load” and technique would be appreciated. And “Thank you” in advance, even though I did a “bit” of reloading for pistol and 22-250, 15+ years ago, I’m a novice…so your patience and input is really appreciated.

I’ve been spending a bit of time in the “Gateway” pinned section and many thanks to all who have contributed your expertise and experience.
Link Posted: 9/24/2010 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Edit: My go to "plinking" load is Hdy 55 FMJ (seated to mid cannelure), FC brass (from wally world bulk packs) fully prepped, and TAC.I cannot tell you the charge weight without the standard warning for you to work up your loads from the Minimum, as they may not be safe in your individual rifle, but the charge is somewhere between 24.9 and 25.1 of TAC. I recently shot a 100 yard, 10 shot group with that recipe that I could cover 8 of 10 with a quarter.For my rifles that load seems middle of the road, but in yours it could be dangerous. Be careful !! sorry for the mis-information
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 6:33:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks, that's an impressive group. I've read good things about the Hornady bullets, Molon suggested it as the best out there in the 55 grain FMJBT class, IIRC.

Yes, I accept full responsibility for my own loads and the data I choose to work with. I plan to start with a reduced charge and work up for my two guns, as well as two other guys who I shoot with and who plan on doing some reloading of their own.

With the "mixed" data that I'm getting in the Manuals, especially the Hornady #7, I'm just not real clear yet on where to start. 21.5 grains as listed in the Hornady #7, seems on the low side when compared to my other three sources, which is one of the reasons I'm asking. And Hornady #7 lists 24.7 as a max load, where as the others are in the 26 grain range.

With the info I have now, I'm thinking of 23.4 grains as a start then 23.8, 24.2 and finally 24.5. For each gun...

I'm not looking for a barn burner or pushing for max. velocity, I might just be happy with the 24.2 grains and if it works I'll try working it up again with some mixed cases and then call it good to go as an all round plinking load with mixed cases in all four guns.

The objective is to find a good all round economical plinker, that cycles and works for all four guns, with mixed and eventually used brass. Accuracy of course is important, but so is economics, I want the brass to last and safely work up economical loads that are mild on the guns and yet provide decent accuracy out to 200 yards.  

The other two guns are standard 5.56 chambers, but the brass is .223/5.56 mixed.
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 10:50:45 AM EDT
[#39]
The Hornady 55 GR FMJ is pretty much the only bullet I use for training.  I have tried Benchmark, H322, H4895, Varget, TAC, X-Terminator (Nearly identical to AA2230) and they all worked great, but Benchmark was definitely the best one.

24.5 - 25.5 GR of Benchmark (10 rounds into a 1.25" group).
24.5 - 25.5 GR of TAC
23.5-24.5 GR of X-Terminator
Link Posted: 9/25/2010 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#40]
25 grains of h335 over a wolf 223 or cci 400 has always done me well with the 55's for my deep stash
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top