Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2010 8:13:23 PM EDT
Gone
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one also and am very happy with it.  Life gets much easier when you purchase the
RCBS APS strip loader
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 9:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent post GWhis.
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been eying RCBS' new hand priming unit that has the universal shell holder on top but uses the flip tray to hold the primers.  If I didn't already have a stash of primers already, and the strips that are already reloaded were easily found without more expense I would jump all over it.  I just cannot bring myself to preloading all the little strips and the extra expense that comes with it.  I have heard that the RCBS strip system is one of the best and most reliable priming systems out there though.

It will be nice having to dig through all my shell holders to mount on my old RCBS hand priming unit anymore though, and the tray has never caused too much issues.  At least this way I can leave that shell holder on the single stage and use the universal to primer when I am working up new loads of small amounts.

Sarg
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:31:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Gone
Link Posted: 6/17/2010 11:40:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Gone
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Good review of the functionality. That universal shellholder looks neat.
That said...You guys who like the RCBS loaders must have the patience of Job.
The pictures of lubing and fiddling around with parts and wrenches,and having an additional tool just to load primers into a part that goes into the priming tool itself reminds me while I still use my $12 Lee Auto Prime and ditched my RCBS handheld. I fought and fought with my RCBS unit. It would jam with inaccessible primers requiring me to disassemble it, it was harder to change from large to small primers, and it had gazillions of parts. The use of standard shellholders and the ergonomics of the handle shape were its only positives, IMO.
The Lee has no strips, no loading tool for the strips,just a simple pan that holds 100 or so primers at a time. Open box, pour in primers,shake around, put cover on and start loading. A slight decline away from you,and a gentle sideways hand shake every 5 primers and the Lee tool feeds perfectly. If it used regular shellholders, the darn thing would be near perfect for my single stage reloading needs.

Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:16:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Good review of the functionality. That universal shellholder looks neat.
That said...You guys who like the RCBS loaders must have the patience of Job.
The pictures of lubing and fiddling around with parts and wrenches,and having an additional tool just to load primers into a part that goes into the priming tool itself reminds me while I still use my $12 Lee Auto Prime and ditched my RCBS handheld. I fought and fought with my RCBS unit. It would jam with inaccessible primers requiring me to disassemble it, it was harder to change from large to small primers, and it had gazillions of parts. The use of standard shellholders and the ergonomics of the handle shape were its only positives, IMO.
The Lee has no strips, no loading tool for the strips,just a simple pan that holds 100 or so primers at a time. Open box, pour in primers,shake around, put cover on and start loading. A slight decline away from you,and a gentle sideways hand shake every 5 primers and the Lee tool feeds perfectly. If it used regular shellholders, the darn thing would be near perfect for my single stage reloading needs.

My thoughts exactly.
Link Posted: 6/18/2010 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Great review!  I have the older RCBS hand primer with the tray.  It's a great tool but I've had issues using shell holders other then RCBS.  I like the universal shell holder feature and positive feed of the tool you reviewed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 12:42:28 AM EDT
[#10]
gone
Link Posted: 6/19/2010 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a piece of history.  This one takes a standard shell holder and you have put the primer in one by one then prime the case. This is from the early 90's before I got my Dillon 550B.  I never use this anymore but since it brings back fond memories I kept it

Link Posted: 6/19/2010 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Be sure to put some molly grease on the cam mechanism.

Link Posted: 6/21/2010 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 1:58:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice, but I'll stick with the standard RCBS hand priming tool.

Not sure why it gets such bad reviews...................I used a Lee Auto Prime for some time, before it broke.  The RCBS unit is much sturdier, uses standard shell holders, and I've never had a problem with it.  Operates in a similar manner to the Lee Auto Prime, no strips needed.
Link Posted: 6/21/2010 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
gone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top