Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2010 4:02:52 AM EDT
I read a few references to using straws to hold up the sky screens over a shooting chrony. With the metal supports, if you nick one, it will generally damage the chrony. With the straws it won't.

Anybody try this? I am not sure how the straws would be strong enough to keep tension on the sky screen plates.

I lost one section of the rods and they are about $15+ to replace.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:21:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Is it $15 from the chrony manufacturer?  I would check HD/Lowes for the diameter rod that you need.  You could also try a wooden dowel.  I don't think a straw is going to hold up a skyscreen.  I have see people use straws but generally they only use them for a guide to aim between the sensors.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Well its 8.95 shipping plus the cost of the rods. Bit of a ripoff on something that can be mailed for $2

I may go the HD route and just get a solid rod/dowel.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Welding shops have fill rods for brazing for gas welding they work on my chrony.

sdshooter..................
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 5:25:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been using wooden dowels since I smacked one of the metal rods.  It didn't do much damage but it bent pretty badly and was hard to get out.  The wood will break of without damaging the chrony, and the dowels are pretty cheap and can be had at the local hardware store.  

I thought I would never hit the rods, but I did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Round chopsticks.

- AG
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I've been using wooden dowels since I smacked one of the metal rods.  It didn't do much damage but it bent pretty badly and was hard to get out.  The wood will break of without damaging the chrony, and the dowels are pretty cheap and can be had at the local hardware store.  

I thought I would never hit the rods, but I did.

I used the green bamboo rods in the home and garden section.  The rods are skinny and used for trying off and training plants.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 6:50:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Bamboo skewers work great and are cheap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 7:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#9]
I actually don't use anything. I try to chronograph on slightly overcast days with white clouds overhead.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#10]
I use the straws but only when I don't use the sky screens.  The straws aren't rigid enough to support the screens on a Shooting Chrony.

Link Posted: 5/28/2010 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I was setting up at the range once and the sky screen came loose. The rod "sprooooiiiiinnngged " off into the woods and I never did find it. I went up to the office and got a coat hanger. Did the trick.

Another option is a wooden dowel. My hardware store has an assortment and I've gotten various sizes to slug barrels, etc.

I'm pretty sure they have a size that would, perhaps with a little sanding on each end, work fine in my chrony.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 9:37:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I hit a rod once w a .45 colt load.  Didn't damage the chrony but it snapped the sky screen.  (grumble, Shooting Chrony's shipping charges are ridiculous)

I was able to simply bang the rod straight again.  I'd go with hardwood (bamboo?) dowels over straws though.
Link Posted: 5/28/2010 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Slightly off subject, but a strip of a gallon milk jug works just fine to replace a lost screen.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:11:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Some have reported hitting the steel and breaking the optical unit…

I went with 3/16 wood, added a piece of 3/16 ID tubing as a coupler for mine.

(setup phase here)

I had to ‘roll’ the ends on my bench grinder, down to the 1/8” needed at the bottom but all of fits in my bag and works well on the range.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 3:47:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Slightly off subject, but a strip of a gallon milk jug works just fine to replace a lost screen.

I was using Walmart Shopping bags for a while, worked great until the replacements came in.
Link Posted: 5/29/2010 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I use wooden dowel rods.  Ideally, however, Nancy Pelosi would perform some actual public service by holding our screens .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top