Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2010 4:53:26 PM EDT
Hornady V-Max Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 55 Grain with Cannelure Box of 100

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to start reloading for my 5.56 rifle and midwayusa

didnt really say .223 or 5.56 too much..............they used .22  as the way to start ordering

and I ended up ordering the above...............Will these be ok to shoot out of my rifle

as its a 5.56 Nato rated............224 diameter sounds larger then .223, and I had heard

that 5.56 is a little bigger then .223, but I just want to make certain????????????????
I have about 1500 once fired LC 05 brass (nato) and some winchester brass too.  Im buying some

dies, but the powder and cci primers wanted a 25 dollar hasmat charge, so I will look at local shop

to see what there prices are.

I was going to order Hodges VARGET but they were out of stock. Then I saw H335, and was told

that is like original 5.56 military powder, and then BL (c)-2 was mentioned, but could not find,

and H4198 and H322 were all mentioned as being good. Any suggestions for the cleanest for

55 grain bullets????          Thanks for info and help!!!

Mike

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:28:20 PM EDT
[#1]
same bullets.... 224 is the correct diameter of 223 bullets and of course 5.56.... see if you can find some TAC powder..
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hornady V-Max Bullets 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 55 Grain with Cannelure Box of 100

I just ordered a bunch of stuff to start reloading for my 5.56 rifle and midwayusa

didnt really say .223 or 5.56 too much..............they used .22  as the way to start ordering

and I ended up ordering the above...............Will these be ok to shoot out of my rifle

as its a 5.56 Nato rated............224 diameter sounds larger then .223, and I had heard

that 5.56 is a little bigger then .223, but I just want to make certain????????????????

I have about 1500 once fired LC 05 brass (nato) and some winchester brass too.  Im buying some
dies, but the powder and cci primers wanted a 25 dollar hasmat charge, so I will look at local shop
to see what there prices are.

I was going to order Hodges VARGET but they were out of stock. Then I saw H335, and was told
that is like original 5.56 military powder, and then BL (c)-2 was mentioned, but could not find,
and H4198 and H322 were all mentioned as being good. Any suggestions for the cleanest for
55 grain bullets????          Thanks for info and help!!!
Mike

If you don't know the difference between 223 and 5.56 or if 224 dia is the right size you need to do alot of reading before you try to reload anything. I am not trying to be a smart %#$ but this  basic info that can be found in a lot of places
Link Posted: 5/20/2010 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Top of the page, read the FAQ's and Tutorials. This will end your 223/5.56 confusion.

There is a great 4 part "how to load 223" tutorial up there.

Start with Tac, BLC2, AA-2230, H-335 or W-748 in that order for powder.

223 is a name, it does not reflect the bullet diameter. .224 is the correct bullet diameter for 223.

To reload your LC 05 brass, (which is high quality mil brass) you will need to remove the primer crimp.

You will need one of these for $10.

Your Win brass will not have crimped primer pockets.

To start, buy powder by the pound to find which one you like.

Then when you make a bulk order, powder and primers, the hazmat is spread out and won't hurt as much.

Some SR, small rifle primers, are not suitable for the high pressure of the 223. These are Rem 6 1/2 and Wolf SR primers.

What you want is Rem 7 1/2, Wolf SRM (small rifle magnum), CCI 41, Wolf 223 rem, CCI 450, CCI 400. Any of these.

Read up and keep asking questions, we will help.

Link Posted: 5/21/2010 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Please do a bunch of reading before you do anything else. No offense, but going by your post you have no idea what you're getting into. ABC's of Reloading would be a good place to start.

Big Ole' plus 1 to that!!!

Buy a book or two, read about reloading....u sound like u know VERY little about reloading and that can be dangerous!
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 6:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone here talks about reading The ABC's of Reloading, for good reason.  You will learn all you need to know to get started, it is a very informative book.
Link Posted: 5/21/2010 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top