Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2010 7:21:08 AM EDT
Been using my Lee Pro 1000 for 9mm for 2 years, 0 problems and great ammo production.  I had a bad primer jam under the shell plate that I had to carefully pry out.  Since then, my primers will not feed into station #2 on their own, it seems that the plunger rod that blocks the primers doesn't drop down far enough for them to feed on their own when the primer feed bar is tripped by an incoming casing.  But I can very easily push the primers down the feed tray and they will feed into place, so they will fit which tells me that the plunger rod is probably just barely showing and not flush with the feed tray as it should be.

Is there a reason that the primer plunger rod would not drop enough to allow them to feed?  My .223 Lee Pro 1000's rod seems to drop down just a little bit lower than the 9mm indicating a problem with the 9mm plunger.  Could my shell plates possible be too low to allow a primer to feed?

Very hard to describe, thanks for any suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:34:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe you just need a new primer plunger rod?
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 7:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Wow....just got a Lee Precision tech on the phone on the first try, he thinks that powder or dirt has gotten in the plunger mechanism restricting the plunger from dropping all the way.  I'll try it out.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Pull the carrier out and take the plate on the bottom off.  Give it a few good blasts from an air duster can to blow the powder and gunk out.  Then make sure the little spring that keeps the primer plunger in place is where it is supposed to be in the two little notches.
Link Posted: 4/9/2010 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wow....just got a Lee Precision tech on the phone on the first try, he thinks that powder or dirt has gotten in the plunger mechanism restricting the plunger from dropping all the way.  I'll try it out.

This was going to be my suggestion also.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 8:21:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Bought a Pro1000.

Broke it.

Sent it to LEE- no refund- you get store credit.

Got a LoadMaster-broke it. May take it to the range to see how it does vs an ought-6.

Got a RL550B.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 9:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Send it to lee, and send  me another pro 1000.
I love em.
Sorry about your bad experience.
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Bought a Pro1000.

Broke it.

Got a LoadMaster-broke it. May take it to the range to see how it does vs an ought-6.

Got a RL550B.

what exactly did ya break on each one?
Link Posted: 5/19/2010 3:50:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Bought a Pro1000.

Broke it.

Got a RL550B.

Big Sigh....... I bought and tuned a Load Master for my son. This is the guy who stripped out the bolt holes on a C15 Caterpillar valve cover spacer plate. Not enough patience to see if bolts were aligned and tried to snug with an air ratchet. Now every hole is helicoiled on a 25,000 engine.  Anyway I bought the press. Set it up, tuned and ran perfectly. Gave it to him for Christmas and watched him run 200+ rounds through it. He carelessly packs it loose in a cardboard box and hauls it some 750 miles home. It falls out of tune and cases don't slide to shell pate. Simple fix. I try and coach him through fix on phone and he creates more problems through a lack of patience. Next week. I'm going to Texas to see him. Before we load one bullet in any gun. .. . Before we load one bag for the range. .. . I'm going to tune his press and run one hundred rounds through it while he watches. Then I'm going to dismantle it. Pour my self a glass of patience and watch him put it back together and tune it. He'll run at least 200 rounds through his Load Master before we fire the first bullet at range. I will do and post a whole photo thread on tuning that press. Maybe you'll get some good out of it and maybe you'll look foolish at the range blasting apart a perfectly good press. I don't care, I'm not your daddy. I'm glad you got a blue press. I'm buying one soon too. If you need a good home for your red press I run a home for abused and battered presses and would gladly adopt yours. .. .This is a technical forum where problems are solved. We don't beat dead horses here.

P.S. There's penty of Load Master tuning videos on you tube.

Link Posted: 5/19/2010 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pull the carrier out and take the plate on the bottom off.  Give it a few good blasts from an air duster can to blow the powder and gunk out.  Then make sure the little spring that keeps the primer plunger in place is where it is supposed to be in the two little notches.

This plus what Lee's tech suggested.

Link Posted: 5/20/2010 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bought a Pro1000.

Broke it.

Got a RL550B.

what exactly did ya break on each one?

Well, on the 1000, I  broke the the carrier where it holds the ram.

It kept slipping off and I kept tightening it. Over-tightened and cracked it but good.

When I realized what had happened, I was really surprised that anyone would look at that set up and think "yea, that's a good design."

On the LM the case pusher slipped off and I broke it trying to slip it back in place without dismantling the press. Then, from short stroking it, something about the priming system took a shit. I haven't even bothered dissecting it to waste any more time on it. The auto indexing do-dad is a whole nother kettle o' fish. Rube Goldberg would be proud of this thing all the way around.

As for the written instructions- just kick me in the balls and be done with it. As for youtube, I shouldn't have to go to youtube.

As for a home for unwed presses- I do believe I will offer this press free to a needy arfcommer. I'm sure you ace mechanics can tune and operate this shit, I just want loaded ammo with minimum hassle. Yet another lesson for me in pay once, cry once- although for the difference in cost and considering one will load thousands upon thousands of rounds on these things, there is no contest.

And speaking of contests- here you go:

FREE- one LEE Load Master- shell pusher (maybe $3 from LEE) is broken. And there's something wrong with the primer seater. Also, you will need dies. Auto disk powder measure has powder die for 45 ACP and it has shell plate for 45 ACP.

I will start a thread in the reloading forum on Saturday AM at approx. 6 AM eastern.

Rules:

1. Tell me in fifty words or less why you should get it.

2. Two other arfcommers must vouch that you are not only deserving, but also needy (no offense.)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top