Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 1:17:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm going to give this a try since I've been having issues with case necks hanging up when the expander is exiting.  Seems like I need more lube in the neck.  Imperial dry neck lube is not working for me.

Amazon has 99% IPA listed for around $8 with free shipping.  Reviews talk about expensive shipping, so I don't know.  I just bought some 91% locally.  Just ordered some lanolin off Amazon.
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:04:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: usmcscout] [#2]
.....bad info withdrawn post
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 3:06:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BIGGDAWG] [#3]
Originally Posted By usmcscout:
Originally Posted By JimTh:
I'm going to give this a try since I've been having issues with case necks hanging up when the expander is exiting.  Seems like I need more lube in the neck.  Imperial dry neck lube is not working for me.

Amazon has 99% IPA listed for around $8 with free shipping.  Reviews talk about expensive shipping, so I don't know.  I just bought some 91% locally.  Just ordered some lanolin off Amazon.

Just get a few bottles "ISO-HEET"  in the yellow NOT RED bottle the yellow bottle is high% IPA its what I use and many others its also discussed further back in this thread for varification

iso heat is usually in the red bottle that is what i use.

here is the link to the msds sheet on iso heat hence why it is called iso heat it uses isopropyl alcohol    msds sheet iso heat

yellow bottle heet is methanol not isopropyl  here is the msds sheet on yellow bottle heet    msds on yellow bottle heet
Link Posted: 10/22/2012 6:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]
well shit I stand corected was trying picture in my head wich one I bought. anyway the iso one is correct one. once your mixture is in bottle that stuff last forever IM on 4k and still have fair amount left. not sure if you guys have a fred myer around but they have 99% like 5 bucks if I remember right. I own farm so we go through it by gallons  

Originally Posted By BIGGDAWG:
Originally Posted By usmcscout:
Originally Posted By JimTh:

Just get a few bottles "ISO-HEET"  in the yellow NOT RED bottle the yellow bottle is high% IPA its what I use and many others its also discussed further back in this thread for varification

iso heat is usually in the red bottle that is what i use.

here is the link to the msds sheet on iso heat hence why it is called iso heat it uses isopropyl alcohol    msds sheet iso heat

yellow bottle heet is methanol not isopropyl  here is the msds sheet on yellow bottle heet    msds on yellow bottle heet

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 6:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay...
I've never really "got" what all the hate is about when it comes to OneShot.
I've used it for years and despite the smell I've been satisfied with OneShot
Yeah... it's expensive, but it works for me.

So... realizing I go through a lot of OneShot ( I have 3000 .223 cases awaiting sizing) and it isn't exactly cheap I drcided to try this Boot Leg solution.

I mixed it at approx 1:12...

Tried it today....

'Saying goodby to OneShot... This stuff is waaayyyy smooth.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#6]
What mix ratio are you using with the wire pulling lube?

Same as the LEE lube?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Wow, I found this thread just in time! Hopefully makin some this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/10/2012 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I switched to Dillon lube and like it so I will have to try to find lanolin next.
Link Posted: 11/11/2012 6:44:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rod-R] [#10]
Wow!! This stuff is awesome. I used Johnsen's: Premium Isopropyl Gas Line Anti-Freeze $2.69 for 12 oz. at O'rielly Auto.....it was a buck cheaper Heet- Iso.  I couldn't wait for the 99% alcohol to come in at the CVS..

http://www.johnsens.com/index.php/products/detail/2962-premium-isopropyl-gas-line-anti-freeze

The MSDS says it is is 99% Isopropyl.

I warmed them up and they mixed into a beautiful amber liquid. I didn't have to shake much. I did th

I am amazed at how smooth this lube is; in fact I had to check and see if the brass was actually getting sized.

So thanks for the great info.

RKR
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#11]
I used the 1:12 ratio. Hornady just lost another customer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2012 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By crashlanding:

I used the 1:12 ratio. Hornady just lost another customer.

I used RCBS, I got quite a few bottles years ago from the gun shop up the road closing, they had an auction and everything went cheap

I have about 2 bottles left and when it runs out I will use this recipe, hell I am debating on whether to give this recipe a try now and maybe give away the RCBS

Link Posted: 11/25/2012 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#13]
For those who have asked- I loaded 500 rounds of .223 with this about 2 years ago without cleaning it off the cases. I did wipe off the outsides while boxing them up.  Waited a year and shot 100. All went bang. 6 months later shot another 100, again all went bang. The next 100 will be shot around Christmas time. YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/9/2012 6:42:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mer2112] [#14]
Great info here, thanks!

One ounce of this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P48JX2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

mixed warm with 2 bottles of Iso-HEET (24 oz) works great.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Stuff works amazing!!!!

Lasts long in the bottle too.

I have gone 20:1 and had it work great. Litttle goes a very long way.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I just picked up some ISO-Heet on the way home from work, now I am on the search locally for some Lanolin.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 6:48:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rockrat] [#17]
You can mix the RCBS case lube, the water soluable stuff, with 91% isopropanol, in about a 12/1 ratio also, and makes a decent spray lube.   Will have to try the liquid lanolin mix vs. the rcbs mix.

I usually just rinse off the rcbs stuff with hot water, but get water spots because of our hard water.

Oh, while you are at the farm store, there is some stuff called "Bag Balm" that IIRC has quite a bit of lanolin in it and might work well in an alcohol mix.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Any really really cheap bastards here want to try an experiment ?

Try putting the brass in a bucket of hot water to rinse the lube off, let it cool and skim the lube off the top to re use it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2013 10:38:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlackCloud762] [#19]
Just whipped up a 12/1 batch of HEET (red bottle) & 100% lanolin oil today. This stuff is awesome & the One Shot is in the trash. Wish I had found this thread sooner, but better late than never I guess

Link Posted: 1/17/2013 6:24:58 PM EDT
[#20]
OP thanks for the great tip.

I tried it lastnight and it's awesome.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Any 'gumming' up of the sizing die with the 1:12 ratio?

I'm about to make mine right now, and wanted to see if I should go thinner.
Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By bags533:

No gumming up issues here so far. I've done a couple thousand .223 & another thousand .308 with the home brew lube....it's good stuff!

Link Posted: 1/25/2013 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By terrance250:
Originally Posted By bags533:

No gumming up issues here so far. I've done a couple thousand .223 & another thousand .308 with the home brew lube....it's good stuff!

Ok, thanks.  Off to the kitchen to make some 1:12 bootleg lube.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 2:03:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't believe I just found this.  Going to have to find the local health food store.
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 5:51:25 PM EDT
[#25]
i just started using the mix with 99% it works great
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#26]
The spray bag/ boot leg lube method doesn't require lubing on the inside of the neck with a brush?
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/19/2013 4:40:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bm3] [#29]
Just a observation on my part , it seems that the cases come out much cleaner after using this lube method.

I dry tumble and they look like they were wet tumbled.   Pic later

Link Posted: 2/19/2013 7:19:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I can't say enough about the home grown lube! I threw together the 12oz bottle of iso-heet with about 1.2 oz of the lanolin. Man it is SWEET, just shake your container to get a good number with the throats up, spray 2-3 sprays, mix and shake again for more throats, spray 1-2 more sprays then mix and 3 times. Ready to

go...don't even need to wait for it to dry, just start running them. I was EXTREMELY impressed, and I must say I was die hard on the imperial wax, i have my 1st and probably only can of it that will only be used if i need to do a single case for testing die setup or something.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#31]
In on the third year.

I'm noticing that most of you are saying that you lube the cases, size them, and then tumble them again to remove the lube before loading.

That might work well for a single stage user, but what about a turret or progressive press?
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:
In on the third year.

I'm noticing that most of you are saying that you lube the cases, size them, and then tumble them again to remove the lube before loading.

That might work well for a single stage user, but what about a turret or progressive press?

It works for batch preparation.  I deprime my cases, wet tumble with stainless steel media, and then size and trim.  This gives me "ready to load" cases, all prepared identically.  When I get ready to run up a batch of a load, all I have to do is dig out the required number of prepared cases, toss 'em into the case feeder, set it all up for the load I'm doing, and it runs smoothly start to finish.

One thing I have noticed is that the progressive press gets a serious jarring when sizing cases, and this can shake up a whole lot of other stations - potentially making things like my case activated powder measure less accurate.  By separating the hard, rough process of sizing cases from the rest of the operations, I can get smoother flowing, (and less tiring!) operation of the press.
Link Posted: 3/6/2013 11:55:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 12:04:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

In on the third year.

That's the same process I use with my 550.  

Bottleneck cases are a 2 step process.

With straight wall pistol cases using carbide dies, then they go right through the press in one process.

No lube necessary with cabide dies?
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 12:24:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:

In on the third year.

That's the same process I use with my 550.  

Bottleneck cases are a 2 step process.

With straight wall pistol cases using carbide dies, then they go right through the press in one process.

I've lubed pistol brass for a carbide sizing die to make it easier to size, and it works well. But, in my limited experience, the die gets dirtier quicker when I lube the case, as opposed to when I don't lube the pistol brass with the carbide dies.

As much as I want to give the pistol brass a quick spritz of lube (this has occurred with Hornady One Shot or the Bootleg lube), the sizing die gets dirty enough that I have to clean it before a 100 rounds have been processed.

When I don't lube the  brass (it's all wet tumbled) I don't have a problem with a dirty sizing die until about 300 rounds through it.

This is just my experience, I'm sure I could be doing something wrong.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 6:15:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GHPorter] [#37]

Lube is not absolutely essential when running carbide dies, but a little bit of lube helps a whole lot.  It makes the press run so much smoother, and with less effort.
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 8:09:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: knight_dive] [#38]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

Lube is not absolutely essential when running carbide Pistol / Straight wall case dies, but a little bit of lube helps a whole lot.  It makes the press run so much smoother, and with less effort.

With carbide dies for bottle neck rifle cartridges like the ones available from Dillon for .223 you still need lube
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 9:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Good catch, Knight.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 3:00:38 AM EDT
[#40]
I just mixed up a batch of this stuff.  Worked fine.  I mixed it a tad thicker, 8 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin.  I need to keep it warm as the lanolin I got gets congealed at the bottom of the spray bottle.  I figure I now have enough to last me for the next  5 years or so.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Cranky_CJ:
I just mixed up a batch of this stuff.  Worked fine.  I mixed it a tad thicker, 8 parts alcohol to 1 part lanolin.  I need to keep it warm as the lanolin I got gets congealed at the bottom of the spray bottle.  I figure I now have enough to last me for the next  5 years or so.

I take it that you aren't using 99% alcohol.

Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:13:35 PM EDT
[#42]
91%, its all I could find.  I keep it in front of a space heater keeping it warm, give it a shake and I'm good to go.  You just have to keep it warm.  I just de-primed 500 cases this morning, not a bit of problem.  I thinned it out a tad by adding another 4oz of 91% alcohol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I used 91% alcohol too, and here in Central Texas, we don't need space heaters to keep the stuff warm. At least not this week.

You sort of have to take what concentration of alcohol you're using if you decide to go with a thicker or thinner mix.  With 91%, you might be able to keep a liquid lanolin mix liquid at 1:9 or 1:10, but 1:8 will definitely be temperature sensitive.

I busted my butt to find anhydrous lanolin, the thick, almost solid stuff, because I was following another recipe (it needs to be heated quite a bit to liquify it before you add it to the alcohol), and with 91% alcohol at 1:10, it settles out at "warm" room temperature.  On the other hand, a quick agitation of the bottle seems to completely dissolve everything again, and this stuff is pretty darn slick.  I'm looking forward to setting aside time for my next loading project to really give it a good workout.  (I'm working a lot more lately, and I have this BRD outbreak that I'm working through, so I haven't done much loading stuff lately.)
Link Posted: 3/10/2013 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#44]
You can also use denatured alcohol found in the painting department of your local big box store.  

If  you cannot find lanolin, Johnsons or Minwax paste wax, diluted with odorless paint thinner and filtered through a coffee filter works just as well.  It dries to a solid film, lubricating better than lanolin.

Link Posted: 3/11/2013 7:39:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By GHPorter:
I used 91% alcohol too, and here in Central Texas, we don't need space heaters to keep the stuff warm. At least not this week.

You sort of have to take what concentration of alcohol you're using if you decide to go with a thicker or thinner mix.  With 91%, you might be able to keep a liquid lanolin mix liquid at 1:9 or 1:10, but 1:8 will definitely be temperature sensitive.

I busted my butt to find anhydrous lanolin, the thick, almost solid stuff, because I was following another recipe (it needs to be heated quite a bit to liquify it before you add it to the alcohol), and with 91% alcohol at 1:10, it settles out at "warm" room temperature.  On the other hand, a quick agitation of the bottle seems to completely dissolve everything again, and this stuff is pretty darn slick.  I'm looking forward to setting aside time for my next loading project to really give it a good workout.  (I'm working a lot more lately, and I have this BRD outbreak that I'm working through, so I haven't done much loading stuff lately.)

The solid types of Lanolin are not anhydrous, they have wax and other fillers in them, anhydrous Lanolin will always be in a thick liquid(think syrup) form and does not fall out of suspension once mixed.

EWP
Link Posted: 3/11/2013 7:23:09 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By EWP:
The solid types of Lanolin are not anhydrous, they have wax and other fillers in them, anhydrous Lanolin will always be in a thick liquid(think syrup) form and does not fall out of suspension once mixed.

EWP

Well I seem to have hunted down a different product than I thought I was getting. Mine is labeled "lanolin butter," and while not exactly solid, it is a lot thicker than a syrup.  My mix works, but it is obviously not what I thought it was.  Thanks for the clarification.
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 8:04:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Wal-Mart grocery last night,, strolledby  the ammo counter, then seen the "HEET" on end of aisle on way out,, so I bought a bottle..
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#48]
About to make my first batch! Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 3/16/2013 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By SBR7_11:
Wal-Mart grocery last night,, strolledby  the ammo counter, then seen the "HEET" on end of aisle on way out,, so I bought a bottle..

Make sure it is ISO HEET.  Regular Heet contains methanol.  Nasty, nasty stuff and not appropriate for this use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#50]
THANK YOU yes i am yelling. I mixed some up today. thought i woud try it out. I could not stop. Ran out of 223 brass. Resized and deprime 26.5 pounds. Next goaround Iwill do 30 pounds of 308 win bress. Once more thank you.
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top