User Panel

Page / 10
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By Chas8008:

Originally Posted By ReefRaider:
Originally Posted By TGrant:
Bump for anyone who hasnt tried this.

I just made 32 ounces for 10 bux and it works really well.

32 ounces from dillon would cost me $32 plus shipping

So if a case of the Dillon lube is 160oz for $136.00 ( no shipping in this ).  You made that same amount of lube for $50.00 .  I'm sold will be looking into this ASAP as I'm just about out now and I buy the Dillon lube by the case.  Thats not being cheap  that's a very heathy savings

RR this is what I did.

I got the 4oz bottle, and @ 12:1 that is perfect for 3 bottles of Alcohol.

For my area the Lan is $4 and $2 for the 91%alc . and that makes 52oz for $10ish.

And every thing almost fits back in the Alc bottles nice and nice

Thats good to know as I looked high and low for the 190 proff IPA today.  Most of what I got was " what do you need that for "  I just told them I needed it to clean some computer parts.  In the end no one had it in stock anyway.  looks like I'll have to get the 180 proff and call it a day.

Thanks
GB

Link Posted: 1/19/2012 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]

So if a case of the Dillon lube is 160oz for $136.00 ( no shipping in this ).  You made that same amount of lube for $50.00 .  I'm sold will be looking into this ASAP as I'm just about out now and I buy the Dillon lube by the case.  Thats not being cheap  that's a very heathy savings

RR this is what I did.

For my area the Lan is $4 and $2 for the 91%alc . and that makes 52oz for $10ish.

Thats good to know as I looked high and low for the 190 proff IPA today.  Most of what I got was " what do you need that for "  I just told them I needed it to clean some computer parts.  In the end no one had it in stock anyway.  looks like I'll have to get the 180 proff and call it a day.

Thanks

GB

When I was looking for Lanolin people were What do you need that for?

I told them dog Shampoo.

Link Posted: 1/20/2012 7:58:26 PM EDT
[#3]

RR this is what I did.

Thanks

GB

When I was looking for Lanolin people were What do you need that for?

I told them dog Shampoo.

It's more fun to watch the hippies squirm when you tell them it's for loading ammunition.  

"I want my ammo to be all organic."
Link Posted: 2/2/2012 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting ready to make a batch in the morning, will report back
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 1:31:52 AM EDT
[#5]
In on this. I love to save money.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:28:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Easy as pie to make and mix, less than 14$ for everything and I have a ton of lube. Thanks OP!
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#7]
just thought I would mention,since my last comments its been working fabulous. one time, I rushed it, was getting a few dents on the shoulders, but that was because I did not let it dry. was kinda dozing,then realized I was rushing the process. I've sized probably 2500 cases so far......... and still have tons of it left.plastic bag method is very slick
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Well almost 2 years to the day and I have finished the bottle.
I cant even pretend to count how many cases were lubed with the original bottle I mixed.

Recently - I have used it on .223 (i just finished >3000 rounds with a friend for a competition and 1000 9mm )
Countless 30/30 and 30.06 cases and 223/556 cases.
I just mixed another batch using ISOHeet (99% IPA) and one ounce of Lanolin.
Glad it helps out fellas

Link Posted: 2/3/2012 1:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
bootleg case lube !

that  is a good one !!

thanks !!
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad I found this!! Im making some for all my friends.. Among those of you that have been doing this - Have you all come to any agreement on the best mix?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 2:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Lung:
Glad I found this!! Im making some for all my friends.. Among those of you that have been doing this - Have you all come to any agreement on the best mix?

I am at 1oz of Lanolin to 12oz of ISOheet
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 2:58:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I did about a 13-1 mix on mine
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 3:58:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:

91% iso?
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 4:13:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: COMMAND450] [#14]
Originally Posted By dnmccoy:

91% iso?

it works, but 99 is better. when using 91 you will see it seperate/settle faster, and you have to wait for the water to dry off,even though its only 9 % water. but the wtaer does need to dry off(15-20min) or you will get shoulder dents,oratleast I did,when I tried to rush it along.

always shake well before use.

of interest keep in mind lanolin is great for your skin and is non toxic ! ha,ha!

12 - 1 BTW is working for me. the local heath food store sells it in pure oil form,also.

Link Posted: 2/12/2012 6:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Holy slick brass batman!! I started off yesterday goofing up my press (put my die in wrong, Dohh!!).. After I got that issue squared used some one shot for about 100 rds. Then, I switched over to the Bootleg Lube 12oz Iso heat to 1 oz lanolin. Just finished up processing/sizing 1k pieces. I'm sold and will never ever ever, never ever ever again buy a can of one shot.

I've got some mixed up for a friend to try. I can't wait to see his expression when he finds out how slick and easy this is.

OP, THANKS FOR POSTING!!
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Holy slick brass batman!! I started off yesterday goofing up my press (put my die in wrong, Dohh!!).. After I got that issue squared used some one shot for about 100 rds. Then, I switched over to the Bootleg Lube 12oz Iso heat to 1 oz lanolin. Just finished up processing/sizing 1k pieces. I'm sold and will never ever ever, never ever ever again buy a can of one shot.
I've got some mixed up for a friend to try. I can't wait to see his expression when he finds out how slick and easy this is.
OP, THANKS FOR POSTING!!

You're welcome. Glad it helped. I have done countless rounds. Had a friend over preping cases for a competition and we used it.
He feels the same way
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been using for about a year and love it!  Works great for sizing 'Machine gun' brass for my .308.  Also works well for steel Wolf cases in .223.   I put it in a Sure Shot refillable aerosol bottle.
Link Posted: 3/4/2012 5:55:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Skeet6:
THIS Try this, cheap and works great!!!

(Gardner-Bender Cable pulling lube... read about it I think on surplusrifle.com some years ago...)

Mike B

Mike, I recently run out of Lee case lube and needed to get something in a pinch. I went by Lowes today and picked up some wire pulling lube at your recommendation. MAN!! this stuff works as well or better than the Lee lube.  I bought the IDEAL Yellow 77 part# 31-358

I just wanted to thank you for the heads up on this stuff.

Peace

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I just want to say this stuff is awesome. I mixed it up and went to town. At first I tried using the Lee case lube because that's what I had. I was able to resize and swage about 150 .223 cases in two hours. (I used my turret press with the resizer die and a single stage press mounted next to it with the RCBS primer pocket swager die.)

Using the "Bootleg Case Lube" I was able to resize and swage over 300 .223 cases in a little over an hour. Much faster to pre-lube a pile of brass instead of having to handle each one. It also provided a much smoother feel on the press.

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 3:03:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: REL1203] [#20]
I have a couple questions on this. First, is this the ISO Heet everyone is using?

http://www.amazon.com/28202-Iso-HEET-Fuel-line-Antifreeze-Injector/dp/B000V4HC7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333479604&sr=8-1

I cant find 99% ISO A anywhere locally, i have a supply of Liquid Lanolin from VitaminneShoppe locally, but now I need the last part.

For application, throw 100 rounds of 223 in a bag and how many squirts normally go into the bag? After moving everything around in the big, dump them onto a big cloth for a couple minutes to dry?

Thanks, i am new to this type of Lube, i learned and have been using a lube pad for a few years, but I have over 1k 223 cases to size and really dont want to lube pad that many...
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 4:05:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By REL1203:
I have a couple questions on this. First, is this the ISO Heet everyone is using?

http://www.amazon.com/28202-Iso-HEET-Fuel-line-Antifreeze-Injector/dp/B000V4HC7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333479604&sr=8-1

I cant find 99% ISO A anywhere locally, i have a supply of Liquid Lanolin from VitaminneShoppe locally, but now I need the last part.

For application, throw 100 rounds of 223 in a bag and how many squirts normally go into the bag? After moving everything around in the big, dump them onto a big cloth for a couple minutes to dry?

Thanks, i am new to this type of Lube, i learned and have been using a lube pad for a few years, but I have over 1k 223 cases to size and really dont want to lube pad that many...

Yes, that is the stuff you want... Just don't buy it from amazon, that price is no good!  Do NOT get the yellow bottle HEET, that's methanol  

I think one good spray is all you'll need for 100 cases.  I use a 1 gal ziplock bag.  My method has been 1 spray in empty bag, load it about half full (200-250 .223 cases) spray again on top of brass, then pretend it's shake n' bake.  You will be able to tell if you haven't used enough.  Basically you'll be looking for a thin coat covering 100% of each case.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 5:34:37 PM EDT
[#22]

O'Riely Auto Parts had the Iso-Heet in 12 oz bottles for $2.99 locally. Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 6:36:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I  ordered 4 X 16 OZ bottles of 99% IPA and 4OZ of 100% liquid lanolin .  It has shipped.  I'll let all y'all know how it worked for me.
Link Posted: 4/3/2012 10:47:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By azlester:

O'Riely Auto Parts had the Iso-Heet in 12 oz bottles for $2.99 locally. Just an FYI.

Sadly, no Orielys in Norther VA, closest one is about 90miles south. I am sure one of the many other auto part stores does sell it

Link Posted: 4/3/2012 11:53:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ReefRaider] [#25]
For you cheap and lazy bastards
http://www.luckyvitamin.com/p-46-now-foods-liquid-lanolin-100-pure-4-oz
http://www.first-aid-product.com/industrial/isopropyl-alcohol.htm

I just don't have the time to run this stuff down. So I'll have it shipped to me.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#26]

I just don't have the time to run this stuff down. So I'll have it shipped to me.

less then $3 for the ISO but $7.12 for shipping??? any auto parts store is going to have the Iso-Heet.
thats rediculous for 1 bottle of alchohol. JMHO

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By YZ250Rider:

Yes, that is the stuff you want... Just don't buy it from amazon, that price is no good!  Do NOT get the yellow bottle HEET, that's methanol  

I think one good spray is all you'll need for 100 cases.  I use a 1 gal ziplock bag.  My method has been 1 spray in empty bag, load it about half full (200-250 .223 cases) spray again on top of brass, then pretend it's shake n' bake.  You will be able to tell if you haven't used enough.  Basically you'll be looking for a thin coat covering 100% of each case.

"How many sprays" depends on what kind of sprayer you're using.  If it's a full-size trigger sprayer, one good spray inside a gallon bag of brass should be fine.  My first experiments were done with a small sprayer with a button pump - it took about 8 pumps of that one.  You'll need to experiment with your sprayer, try it out with a few batches.  Spray them and let them dry, then check to see if they are as slick as you think they should be - and they should be just barely slick to touch, not slippery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#28]

less then $3 for the ISO but $7.12 for shipping??? any auto parts store is going to have the Iso-Heet.

I ordered 4 of the IPA.  I would have ordered a Gallon but that would need a Haz - Mat fee.    I'l stop by the APS this weekend but for some reason I didn't think they would carry that HEET down here.  We don't need it.

Link Posted: 4/4/2012 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#29]

yes you can get it at most parts stores and even walmart. it is the red bottle heat.
Link Posted: 4/4/2012 10:28:46 PM EDT
[#30]
lanolin might be tough locally.
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 3:51:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By coues7:
lanolin might be tough locally.

Check with organic stores, thats where I got mine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#32]
For the guys using this, does it need to be removed from the cases by tumbling after they have been resized but before loading?
Or are you just leaving it on till all done then take off?
I only noticed a mention of this throughout the post but didn't notice a solid answer.
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelTalon] [#33]
ISO HEET REd Bottle available in the automotive sections of Wal-Mart K-Mart etc.avail able at Checkers pep-boys, Kragen et al...

MSDS information 99 Isopropanol

I use lee lube paste to create the mix when I need it ,I don't go to all the trouble of using straight Lanolin.

Imperial Wax is still my favorite.Basically I dab some on my palms and roll several cases at a time between my palms.This effectively lubes them properly with no "over lube issues" I also gently spin the case mouth onto my palm to make sizing the mouth easier.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Smworker1:
For the guys using this, does it need to be removed from the cases by tumbling after they have been resized but before loading?
I only noticed a mention of this throughout the post but didn't notice a solid answer.
Thanks

I process my cases - lubed, sized, trimmed. then I tumble off the lube. Then when loading w/NO lube, I removed the sizing die and replaced it with a universal decapping die just in case I missed a primer. This isnt the answer your looking for, but just thought Id share how I do it now since I started with this lube.
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 5:46:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Picked up a spray bottle and some ISO Heet red bottle today, Pure Lanolin will be here on tuesday. I have 1,000 223 rounds to resize lets hope it works :)
Link Posted: 4/7/2012 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#36]
Picked up a spray bottle and some ISO Heet red bottle today, Pure Lanolin will be here on tuesday. I have 1,000 223 rounds to resize lets hope it works :)

I dont know if this has been discussed (probably has) but lube your brass in a zip loc gallon baggie its easier to control.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 2:41:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Husky79] [#37]
Originally Posted By SteelTalon:

I dont know if this has been discussed (probably has) but lube your brass in a zip loc gallon baggie its easier to control.

I used ziploc bat at first, it was too much hassle and mess, so this is what i do now, been using this for long time now, works great, spray little, shake, spray/shake again, then its good to go.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 11:02:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By SteelTalon:

I have been using Dillion Spray (cause i bought a bottle to see if i like that style), and have been using a small plastic bin right now, spraying 2 sprays on the bottom, throwing in 200-300 cases, doing around 2-3 sprays on top, mixing it all up, and letting it dry for about 10 min and that seems to be working, will lable that bin as a Lube only bin. This is way more faster than the lube pad :), cant wait to get my CBL mix going cause i dont want to pay another $12 or whatever for the Dillion Lube
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#40]
I made a bottle for my buddy (ARFCOM member monkeymeat)
He just finished prepping and loading 6,000 rounds of .223 using it.
Not one hiccup.

I just finished prepping 2000 of .223 and 500 30/30 and 250 30.06 cases this week.
Not a single issue either

Works well. Glad I could help

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:06:17 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm going to start using this stuff today.  We'll see how it works out.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 12:19:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Someone's gonna be very very busy,  but I don't feel sorry for you

http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/9097/picture028hc.jpg

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Someone's gonna be very very busy,  but I don't feel sorry for you

Well I just ran off the 1st K using this lube.  All I can say is THANKS !!  It works great

Also WM did have the HEET $2.00 for 12oz.  I'll use that to make the next lot of this  My mix was 12-1 as per Chass

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Thanks

When you first start using this technique you'll get the urge to over spray the lube, it really dosnt take much, as other have said they use a box As I did when I started. But for me I found I had better control with a gallon zip-loc...couple of sprays into the bag add in brass seal and rub between hands to coat.

When coated properly, I just run them through the process, When finished I lay the cartridges on a cotton bath towel,spritz with mineral spirits or (straight Iso) fold the towel in half and give a rub down to remove any film.from the brass.

I keep an eye on the sizing die also, it can accumulate crud quickly so I always take it apart and run a cloth through the die and clean it up after any bulk loading.

Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#45]

I thought I had a lot of brass..

The lube works great, I use a large rubber made tupperware, and lube 500 at a time. A couple sprays and put the lid on the tub to give it a shake. I love this lube!
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 8:44:46 PM EDT
[#46]

I thought I had a lot of brass..

The lube works great, I use a large rubber made tupperware, and lube 500 at a time. A couple sprays and put the lid on the tub to give it a shake. I love this lube!

Yep thats the way I have always done it.  But with no lid.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 9:48:55 PM EDT
[#47]
in what area in the store will lanolin be found, Ive checked walgreens and CVS  with no luck,  I hope I dont have to order on line
Link Posted: 4/21/2012 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By slowtrigger:
in what area in the store will lanolin be found, Ive checked walgreens and CVS  with no luck,  I hope I dont have to order on line

You'll need to go to a "health food" store.
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 2:36:23 AM EDT
[#49]
I just mixed and used my first batch using ISO Heet on about 250 rounds.  I was able to resize everything before my wife finished feeding our dogs and washing the dishes.  This is really going to speed up my reloading process on the single stage press!  Before this I was using RCBS Lube pad and it was really slow going.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/5/2012 4:50:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#50]
Originally Posted By Boosted98gsx:
for reference, there is a product available in the maternity section of your local grocer called "nipple cream". It is concentrated lanolin cream, but much cheaper than the "liquid lanolin" for what you get from it.

1 tsp per 24oz of 99% iso-propyl will get you a lube better than any you've used.

Gotta try this...

My nipples do get chaffed when I reload..

I've been using One Shot without issue, but it is rather spendy
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top